help needed for preamp selection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinylSound

Reaction score
Hi! New here and it's great to read about everyone's experience with the MLs. I have virtually a new-to-me, but MINT pair of SL3s. I would like to hear from folks whether a tube preamp makes a lot of difference in the music? I have a Musical Fidelity A308 integrated amp. I think I am looking for a tube pre with a Phono stage capable of both MM and MC cartridges. Thanks everyone! I'll post a photo of my system soon.

VinylSound,
I think, and it is my opinion only that as pleased as you are with the SL3's you will be as pleased if not more amazed by adding a tube preamp. I am guessing you do like vinyl and tubes will give the "analog" type of sound you like.

Let us know what you find and any questions you have along the way.:eek:

Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

I agree with what Jeff says. Also, it's been documented in many places that MLs love the effects of tube amplification in a power amp. You may wish to do a search for posts in this forum regarding your questions.

By your moniker I assume you enjoy vinyl, very good !! I concur with Aliveatfive and Jeff, I myself am partial to CJ and ARC, but their are many others out their as well with great sonic signatures of their own, Cary, MAC, BAT, Lamm, Blue Circle....to name but a few. It is imperative that YOU listen with your ears and go from there, good luck. Keep us posted as to your discission !!

VinylSound said:
Hi! New here and it's great to read about everyone's experience with the MLs. I have virtually a new-to-me, but MINT pair of SL3s. I would like to hear from folks whether a tube preamp makes a lot of difference in the music? I have a Musical Fidelity A308 integrated amp. I think I am looking for a tube pre with a Phono stage capable of both MM and MC cartridges. Thanks everyone! I'll post a photo of my system soon.[/
I have a Mac c2200 tube pre-amp.....works great with my SL3s

ovature said:
VinylSound said:
Hi! New here and it's great to read about everyone's experience with the MLs. I have virtually a new-to-me, but MINT pair of SL3s. I would like to hear from folks whether a tube preamp makes a lot of difference in the music? I have a Musical Fidelity A308 integrated amp. I think I am looking for a tube pre with a Phono stage capable of both MM and MC cartridges. Thanks everyone! I'll post a photo of my system soon.[/
I have a Mac c2200 tube pre-amp.....works great with my SL3s
You should give a try to C-J

http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/current-products.html

Different aproach in sound reproduction than McIntosch...also not too expensive. Another option is Audio Research.

http://www.audioresearch.com/PH7.htm

Other option too is the vtl http://www.vtl.com/pages/preamplifiers.html#additional

These preamps will make sing your SL-3s. Enjoy!

Everyone,

Thanks so much for the tips! I really suspect that the SL3s will "sing" over tubes, whereas I feel that they "play" over the SS equipment I have. Sorry to have been away for a bit, our neighborhood was lightening struck last week and were out of power/internet for a time. But, rest assured the SL3s did not take a power surge :)

Anyhow, the Holy Grail goes on. Will let you know what I am able to beg, borrow or steal for a tube pre!:)

Thanks,
Doug aka VinylSound

it's great to have such a great online community!

Back