Help. My Depth i has no depth !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_inri

Reaction score
I just installed a new Depth i and it doesn't seem to add much to the mix. I'm running with two Vistas on a biamped Denon which at 4ohms is theoretically 280 watts/ch. The Vistas sing! Then I added the Depth i and yes, I know it's working, but it doesn't add much. I used the Audessy system in the Denon to balance the speakers. The room is 20x23 with a vaulted ceiling. About 10 feet high in the center. I'm wondering if it's just too much volume for a small sub like the Depth i. I have 2 weeks left in which to make a decision on keeping the Depth. I've tweeked the sub by trying all commutations and permutations with the controls but nothing changes it's lackluster performance. Any thoughts?

Have you tweaked the sub via placement? Try different spots to see what gives you the best sound. Corner placement should amplify the effects of the sub.

Have you tweaked the sub via placement? Try different spots to see what gives you the best sound. Corner placement should amplify the effects of the sub.

It's in the front corner now, I will try moving it and seeing how that goes. Thanks.

How exactly did you connect the Depth to the system? Speaker wire? Using L/R output on RCA? Using the subwoofer output on RCA? Do you have your fronts setup large or small and what crossover?

It always amazes me that dealers won't take the effort of integrating the sub in your system and checking settings.

Another option is the tried and true sub crawl.
Place the sub in your listening position and literaly crawl around the floor to find out where the strongest signal can be heard. That is a good place to start its placement.

Last edited:
I like it! Seems to follow Roberto's mantra 'trust your ears'. I will do a sub crawl tonight and then try several locations.

jmschnur ,I believe this is the article you are referring to http://www.avsforum.com/a/audyssey-faq-and-beginners-101-setup-guide#user_f1...it is much more helpful than the info in the Denon manual which is not clearly written. The manual is my chief complaint about Denon and will probably prevent me from buying another when I upgrade.

garmtz; I'm running an RCA line from SW out to LFE in on the depth. The fronts are set for large.

Last edited:
Yes.

There is a nice section on subs. Read that and test and evaluate before deciding the depth is not for you. Be sure to set the speakers to small. 80 hz xover is a good starting point after Audyssey , but use the audyssey choices 1st.

The JL112 is quite good if you decide to move on with a different sub.

Jon Fo has a nice sticker on the how to's for ML speakers and Audyssey this forum.

Last edited:
If I set the front mains to small I will lose the subs in the Vista's won't I?

Yes.

There is a nice section on subs. Read that and test and evaluate before deciding the depth is not for you. Be sure to set the speakers to small. 80 hz xover is a good starting point after Audyssey , but use the audyssey choices 1st.

The JL112 is quite good if you decide to move on with a different sub.

Jon Fo has a nice sticker on the how to's for ML speakers and Audyssey this forum.

No, there is a scaled decrease below the xover point. 80 hz is typical for that point. Both the sub andd the vista woofers will contribute for an octave or two and then the Depth will take over. Above the xover point your Vista woofer will be in charge until the xover to the panels.

In the audyssey FAQ there is a good discussion of why this is the way to go.

Try it and see how you like it.

J

For a room that large, that sub is just too small and won't move enough air to make a large impact. I am running 2 JL audio f113 subs in my 17x35x8' room and they do a great job. You may want to go that route but I would not use the depth.

My room is 16'x24' with the same peaked ceiling at 12'. I currently have 2 Depth i's but when I purchased the first there was no filling the room with low end my CLS's weren't.

For a room that large, that sub is just too small and won't move enough air to make a large impact. I am running 2 JL audio f113 subs in my 17x35x8' room and they do a great job. You may want to go that route but I would not use the depth.

Jl makes some subs ; it is all question of $$. 1st thing is to get the setup right.

J

I tried everything suggested above and was able to tweak them a little better. But I was still not satified. As a last resort I moved the sub around the room and ultimately to the back corner of the room into a niche about 5'x 10' in a corner next to the sofa. Boom, that was it. I don't know what it is about this room that required this odd placement, but I now have substantial bass that seems to come from the front mains, even though it is 4 feet from my sweet spot listening seat.

I tweaked it again using all of your suggestions and it is working. I probably need another depth i in the opposing corner, but that can wait for a while. I suspect that I would still like something with a little more kick to it but the Fathoms are not in the budget right now. I listened to several albums with a lot of bass including St. Saens Organ Symphony, Herbie Mann, Santana and some percussion albums and they were all substantially enhanced by the sub in this position. My main use of them is music but I did watch Kundun on Bluray and was impressed by the enhanced bass.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Latest posts

Back