Help me pick my first ML Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Restless.Times

Well at 38, I decided to finally buy a stereo I could be proud of. I have been through Kenwood, Sony, HK, Denon, Cambridge Audio, Cambridge Soundworks, and now settled on Rega. I love my new Rega Apollo CD Player and Mira 3 Integrated Amp.

Now I need new speakers. I was pretty sure I was going to buy Vandersteen or Totem and then I heard the ML Montage. I loved the sound of that speaker. Then I heard the Mosaic and loved that one too. I didnt want to go any further up the line as my wallet is an issue. With that being said, Montage or Mosaic? Proc and Cons of each? I did enjoy the Mosaic more, but not sure if I enjoyed it $500 more.

Restless.Times said:
Well at 38, I decided to finally buy a stereo I could be proud of. I have been through Kenwood, Sony, HK, Denon, Cambridge Audio, Cambridge Soundworks, and now settled on Rega. I love my new Rega Apollo CD Player and Mira 3 Integrated Amp.

Now I need new speakers. I was pretty sure I was going to buy Vandersteen or Totem and then I heard the ML Montage. I loved the sound of that speaker. Then I heard the Mosaic and loved that one too. I didnt want to go any further up the line as my wallet is an issue. With that being said, Montage or Mosaic? Proc and Cons of each? I did enjoy the Mosaic more, but not sure if I enjoyed it $500 more.

My first foray into ML was the Mosaic... once I heard that sweet sweet sound, I was HOOKED.

So clear, so clean.... so transparent. The only thing it lacks that the bigger boys do is realism and dimensionality. I think you would fare much better with the Mosaic as it has ATF transducers for both the high end and the midrange. I would say that it is $500 well spent. You dont want the other half of a singer's voice to be done by a 6.5" woofer do you? It's better that the fundamental tone and harmonic tones of a singer's voice are reproduced by similar transducers - as done on the Mosaic.

:)

Joey_V said:
My first foray into ML was the Mosaic... once I heard that sweet sweet sound, I was HOOKED.

So clear, so clean.... so transparent. The only thing it lacks that the bigger boys do is realism and dimensionality. I think you would fare much better with the Mosaic as it has ATF transducers for both the high end and the midrange. I would say that it is $500 well spent. You dont want the other half of a singer's voice to be done by a 6.5" woofer do you? It's better that the fundamental tone and harmonic tones of a singer's voice are reproduced by similar transducers - as done on the Mosaic.

:)
You are so right and that is the reply I knew I was goign to get. Having that ATF midrange made a pretty big difference. I used a a female vocal CD to test them, and I swear I have never heard those songs like that, and I have seen the artist perform live. The sound was INCREDIBLY real and warm

Restless.Times said:
You are so right and that is the reply I knew I was goign to get. Having that ATF midrange made a pretty big difference. I used a a female vocal CD to test them, and I swear I have never heard those songs like that, and I have seen the artist perform live. The sound was INCREDIBLY real and warm

So, the question is.... when you gonna pick them up?

I swear, sometimes I look at my system and I see excess... At times, I feel that I shouldve just stuck with the Mosaics and called it a day - er, a year. Those guys are awesome, especially for the price they charge! If I have to sell my system for financial reasons, I'm going back to the Mosaics.

If that isnt a good enough recommendation, I dont know what is.

:D

Last edited:
The fact that there is no warranty scares me. ML warranties are not transferable. I saw a pair of Montages that are basically new for 850. But sending a money order to a stranger from the net scares me.
I think I want the Mosaics anyway.

When buying some ML's for my home theater,I listened to both the mosaics and montages.I chose the montages,i didn't think the mosaics were worth the extra $500.00, and I used the extra money to put towards the grotto sub.

Restless.Times said:
The fact that there is no warranty scares me. ML warranties are not transferable. I saw a pair of Montages that are basically new for 850. But sending a money order to a stranger from the net scares me.
I think I want the Mosaics anyway.

I feel like I am reading something my Great GrandPappy would have wrote! :eek:

Just busting on you and kidding too. Hey, don't be afraid of buying something from someone on www.audiogon.com. Everything in my system with the exception of my McIntosh (Love those meters and black glass) was bought over the net. Everything includes interconnects, power cables, speaker cables, and even my suspension stand! Just check the seller's feedback. If they are not upfront and honest, it shows. You can save a whole lot of "jack" that way. Trust us when we say, "You are going to need it!" because once you get started with the better stuff, it is darn addicting. Poor Joey has had more speakers in the last 90 days than some high end shops!

:cool:

I have both the Mosaics and the Montages. My opinion would be to go with the Mosaics if you are mostly going for music. If you mostly are doing home theater, go with the Montages.

I suggest Martin Logan Aeons.

You can get a pair right now for around $2,100.

It *IS* worth the extra $100. They've been discontinued and replaced, so they can be had CHEAP.

You can probably find the Aeon i for slightly more than Mosaics right now and that is a great bargain.

Restless.Times said:
Montage or Mosaic? Proc and Cons of each? I did enjoy the Mosaic more, but not sure if I enjoyed it $500 more.

Have you checked Audiogon.com for some good deals? You might be able to get yourself a couple notches up the ladder.

tsd2005 said:
I suggest Martin Logan Aeons.

You can get a pair right now for around $2,100.

It *IS* worth the extra $100. They've been discontinued and replaced, so they can be had CHEAP.

As I am understanding it, he is talking about Montages for $850, Mosaics for about $1350 so the Aeons would be a good $800 more.

Even a well used pair of Aerius i's, Scenarios, etc. would be a major step. Eventually you'll get there anyway, might as well take the plunge now :D

Joey_V said:
That is so true... somehow, someway.

And Joey_V, you have done this right in front of us, like on a reality tv show. :) (You should change your system description to get rid of Vantages and proudly put in Summits).

I don't necessarily agree that all roads lead to expensive equipment. I am doing quite fine with Montages and Mosaics. Unless I win the lottery in the near future, that's where my road lies. They are really nice speakers and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for electronics either.

Latest posts

Back