Help in deciding! Should I buy Vantages?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

swcook

Hi to all.

This is my first post here. And as is often the case, it's to seak advice!

Currently my system is built around a nice pair of Linn Keilidh loudspeakers. But I've had secret cravings for a pair of MLs for many years (actually since early 90's when I first heard a pair). I'm now in a position to indulge that craving but find myslef getting cold feet!

I'm seriously considering buying a pair of Vantages. I've listened to them on many occassions and my experiences have been varied. Sometimes incredible, somtimes just ok. In most cases they have been used with Ayre source and amplification (including the lovely new monoblock amps).

Sometimes the sound stage has been incredible:) . Wonderful imaging, heady highs and foot tapping rythmn and bass. But on other occassions the soundstage has been really flat:( . And I don't know why!

The Ayre CD and amp all get good reviews and are the dealers preferred equipment so I'm sure that they cannot be to blame.

I've read the Vantage reviews which are almost unanimous in their effusive praise!

I am going to get a pair home for an extended demo (where they will be used with a Musical Fidelity A3.2 amp and CD player). So will make a final decision after that (although nmot able to do so until January due to work schedule)

But my concern is that if the speakers have good/ bad days am I going to like them in the long run. Or is it a case that they are so sensitive to positioning that I will only enjoy them if I'm sat in a very speficfic sweet spot?

I'd really appreciate some help and guidance on your experience with MLs in general and the Vantage in particular.

Also, I plan on changing my amp to either Krell 400 or Musical Fidelity A5 pre/power - any one have any exeprience in using either of these with the Vantage?

I'd really appreciate some advice! Thanks, Stephen

Hi to all.

This is my first post here. And as is often the case, it's to seak advice!

Currently my system is built around a nice pair of Linn Keilidh loudspeakers. But I've had secret cravings for a pair of MLs for many years (actually since early 90's when I first heard a pair). I'm now in a position to indulge that craving but find myslef getting cold feet!

I'm seriously considering buying a pair of Vantages. I've listened to them on many occassions and my experiences have been varied. Sometimes incredible, somtimes just ok. In most cases they have been used with Ayre source and amplification (including the lovely new monoblock amps).

Sometimes the sound stage has been incredible:) . Wonderful imaging, heady highs and foot tapping rythmn and bass. But on other occassions the soundstage has been really flat:( . And I don't know why!

The Ayre CD and amp all get good reviews and are the dealers preferred equipment so I'm sure that they cannot be to blame.

I've read the Vantage reviews which are almost unanimous in their effusive praise!

I am going to get a pair home for an extended demo (where they will be used with a Musical Fidelity A3.2 amp and CD player). So will make a final decision after that (although nmot able to do so until January due to work schedule)

But my concern is that if the speakers have good/ bad days am I going to like them in the long run. Or is it a case that they are so sensitive to positioning that I will only enjoy them if I'm sat in a very speficfic sweet spot?

I'd really appreciate some help and guidance on your experience with MLs in general and the Vantage in particular.

Also, I plan on changing my amp to either Krell 400 or Musical Fidelity A5 pre/power - any one have any exeprience in using either of these with the Vantage?

I'd really appreciate some advice! Thanks, Stephen

Hola Stephen and welcome. My advise is try them and if you like as we do, keep them. What I do like, could be different of your liking, and it is very difficult for me to give you an advise. But, all ML are great sounding speakers...and the new Vantage are the second best or the current product line. Just trust your ears and listen. Enjoy the musician(s) playing for you in your own place. The size of the instruments, vocals, and stage are a staggering unmatched features of ML sound to my ears...the new sensitivity of the new product makes the use of a wide world of amplifiers on the market today. Of course they are not easy to drive with low, bad quality amps, but this new feature allow them to use more less power amps. Remember...quality is better than quantity in watts. You can use less power good sounding amps than big watts not so good sounding amps...happy listening,
Roberto.

Stephen, Welcome ! Vantage's, what can I say other than I love mine. As to your "good day - bad day" scenario the only possibilities I can think of are: variance in source components / material even though you said that was minimized.

Position you or the speakers may have been in on different occasions

How about humidity, is it possible there could have been big swings in temp and humidity for this can alter the sound if extreme.

regardless I can only renforce what Roberto has said, I love mine and feel they perform well beyond their respective price point.

At this price point there are a lot of great speakers. Before I dropped 5k I would be sure this was what I wanted and what would work in my room with my electronics. The "Vantage" is one hell of a speaker but does require a certain level of electronics to really shine. Yours should meet that requirement.

Have you heard them at different dealers, if so that probably explains the variability you're hearing in their SS. Check that out at home and remember that dipoles requires very, let me repeat very, careful placement to sound their best. This is rarely accomplished in a dealer's showroom.

Just my .002 worth. First, are you listening to the same track fo music every time? Could be different quality recordings. Also, believe it or not the quality of power at the store could vary that much. I have noticed before my power conditioners that at 5:30 pm to 7:pm something did not sound right. Then I added my Richard Gray 1200s. Then the Richard Gray Substation (240v). What a difference:D Again, this is just my thought and experience.

Thanks for feedback. Demo's have all been via same dealer. I live in Singapore and there only is one!
Music has varied a bit but it was all stuff that I am familiar with. The comment re temp/humidity swings is interesting since if there is one thing that Singapore has, it's humidity (although dealer has air-con). Generally Singapore is hot and humid. Only variation is during rainy season whenit becomes even more humid!! Is that likely to make a difference to the way the speakers sound?
Reading on this forum, it's clear that there is a lot of discussion re positioning and I am a bit worried that the placement of speaker re listener is "hyper-critical".
The MF A3.2 amp that I have this now is quite 'meaty' and should be ok. But a move to either the Krell 400 or MF A5 pre/power combo would surely provide enought quality watts for any system.
Hopefully I can arrange the home demo soon. I really love the way the speakers look and sound (on a good day) and they are top of my list for purchasing!

I second the comment on source material being a factor. MLs tend to show off the good and bad of recordings, so stuff that sounds OK on lesser speakers may not sound as good on MLs because they don't mask anything. By the same token, good recordings sound even better.

My local ML dealer used Musical Fidelity A5 gear for the source when I was auditioning Ascent Is, the predecessors to the Vantage, so I know that that combination works well. I've been debating getting an A5 integrated for awhile now, but just haven't pulled the trigger.

Positioning isn't that critical, but you will have to tweak it for awhile until you get it optimized for your tastes.

I live in central North Carolina which is also very humid, but my house is air conditioned, so that hasn't seemed to be a factor.

Back