Help!!Any members around the SoCal area...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aris A

Reaction score
who could help me with my setup. I recently have a thread regarding sub integration along my audio loop. I believed Amey01, Risabet & Tube60 joined in to share their insights and experiences on how to go about the topic. Unfortunately, it didn't go well with my system. Right now upon turning on my system, loud "thumping" sounds, really loud comes out of the sub and the woofers of my ML. I don't know why it's doing that. In addition to that are humming sound on the ML's (ground loop?). I'm just hoping that I didn't damage anything on my setup. I live close to WCovina.

When do you get the loud thump? When you turn on the Preamp? Amp? A lot of times, you have to turn the volume way down...turn it on....and then turn it back on, if it doesn't have a "soft-on" feature.

The ground loop hum (you can tell if it's ground loop if it's right at 60HZ...I found this out after building a sub and using an equalizer...a notch filter right at 60HZ reduced the buzzing.

Basically you are likely getting this because your cable is hooked up to your stereo, and the cable has a different ground than your electrical system...causing ground loop hum. Other electrical devices can add this in as well (my laptop created it in my system) If it's cable, there are devices you screw into the cable line that can eliminate this. If it's another electrical device, there are other devices that do the same thing (I know ART Cleanbox II does it) though (and I don't advise this) you can just pull the 3rd "ground" plug off of your power cord, and it eliminates this as well. I don't full well know the negative side effects of this...but I've done it once, and it worked....but I don't advise it unless you know exactly what it will do!

Did you try my thoughts on the PM I replied to?
In any case, be persistent, and don't forget to write down what you try as a process of elimination. Eventually you'll find it! Hang in there! Unfortunately my schedule doesn't permit me to come down and have a look in the near future.
Regards,
Ross

I will try to do your comments tonight. I was so frustrated on what happened that I pulled all the plugs out from the outlets so no stereo for me until I solve the problem.

Tube60,
I will check into your recommendations. Probably it will lessen the problem.

I pulled all the plugs out from the outlets so no stereo for me until I solve the problem.
Tube60,
I will check into your recommendations. Probably it will lessen the problem.
Hey, at least you haven't hurled anything across the room! If the problem persists PM me again if anything's different.

Latest posts

Back