Hello to all.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHerrin

Reaction score
Glad to be a member of the group and have been a fan of ML for many years. I wanted to share the front stage of my home theater that is great for 2 channel listening.

D93D892E-D001-4234-81FE-15B29F19F554.jpeg

Welcome aboard!

Nice looking kit, you can start a thread in our System Showcase - Show Your System sub-forum to describe it more and post additional pictures.

A question: Do you have absorption behind the C34 ?

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking setup!

Welcome aboard!

Nice looking kit, you can start a thread in our System Showcase - Show Your System sub-forum to describe it more and post additional pictures.
Thank you. I will make a thread with pictures in the sub-forum.
I have a 1/4 inch foam board behind the C34. No other reason than to hide the wall behind it. I think I may need to move the cabinets out and use amp stands so the C34 can have room to breathe. While it sounds good currently, I think it may be better if opened up. Trying to balance the aesthetic vs performance. Thoughts on that?

I have a 1/4 inch foam board behind the C34.
I'd recommend 3" or 4" thick acoustic absorbers back there, as you really want to mitigate the comb-filtering the reflected energy will cause. This is critical on a center channel, as dialog intelligibility is highly impacted by the frequencies covered by the ESL panel, so any smearing in the time domain really hurts that.

Given the position, a custom treatment might be best, but there might be some commercial items that are sized right. Make sure to specify absorption only, zero reflective materials are allowed, some designs have a sheet of plastic in them to increase low-end absorption, but that is reflective at high frequencies.

I'd recommend 3" or 4" thick acoustic absorbers back there, as you really want to mitigate the comb-filtering the reflected energy will cause. This is critical on a center channel, as dialog intelligibility is highly impacted by the frequencies covered by the ESL panel, so any smearing in the time domain really hurts that.

Given the position, a custom treatment might be best, but there might be some commercial items that are sized right. Make sure to specify absorption only, zero reflective materials are allowed, some designs have a sheet of plastic in them to increase low-end absorption, but that is reflective at high frequencies.
If we are looking to mitigate the rear sound wave, why not attach some kind of backing on the rear end of the speaker and stop the flow of sound sooner? I'm wondering why Martin Logan makes any center channel now without a back on it. My new Focus has a back.

Great advice, thank you. That would certainly be a good option rather than moving the cabinets. I will have to research and find a good company for a custom panel. Any referrals is appreciated.

If we are looking to mitigate the rear sound wave, why not attach some kind of backing on the rear end of the speaker and stop the flow of sound sooner? I'm wondering why Martin Logan makes any center channel now without a back on it. My new Focus has a back.
Interesting. So maybe putting a custom panel near the back is the best option.

Interesting. So maybe putting a custom panel near the back is the best option.
Thats what I'm wondering. I've never heard of anyone doing it though, so maybe there is a problem with doing it. Mystery to me why ML still makes a center channel that's not sealed in the back like their Focus is.

Really nice looking setup

I really like those smoked glass AV cabinets, care to share what they are?
Thanks for the compliment. These are from Salamander Designs and are Oslo 317 (Oslo 317 - Salamander Designs). They are made well and I just leave the back open and put in an AC Infinity fan for ventilation of the components.

Thanks for the compliment. These are from Salamander Designs and are Oslo 317 (Oslo 317 - Salamander Designs). They are made well and I just leave the back open and put in an AC Infinity fan for ventilation of the components.
I have some of the original Salamander Designs...40 inch stacked on a 30 inch with perforated metal doors and side panels. All black so I have 3 "monolithic" structures including the CLXs in my listening room. Nice thing about racks is that shelf width is 20+ inches with infinitely adjustable spacing...great for wide and tall components. Salamander was originally manufactured in Hartford, CT not too far from my home. They used to have a "grey market" storage area for returns, demos, etc. Got friendly with the original owner and got to cherry pick the stacks to build the tower...at a very nice discount. Some cosmetic damage to area which would be hidden after assembly so who cares?

I have some of the original Salamander Designs...40 inch stacked on a 30 inch with perforated metal doors and side panels. All black so I have 3 "monolithic" structures including the CLXs in my listening room. Nice thing about racks is that shelf width is 20+ inches with infinitely adjustable spacing...great for wide and tall components. Salamander was originally manufactured in Hartford, CT not too far from my home. They used to have a "grey market" storage area for returns, demos, etc. Got friendly with the original owner and got to cherry pick the stacks to build the tower...at a very nice discount. Some cosmetic damage to area which would be hidden after assembly so who cares?
Prices now on their cabinets seems high to me. It does seem like they are worth the cost?

Prices now on their cabinets seems high to me. It does seem like they are worth the cost?
Yes, they have (always) been on the pricey side but like all else audio...relative. Might be worth giving them a jingle to ask about "gray stock".

Yes, they have (always) been on the pricey side but like all else audio...relative. Might be worth giving them a jingle to ask about "gray stock".
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to remember that. I may be in the market in a few more years

I have 22 year-old Salamander Synergy racks (dual 70" with a side table), and they are still amazingly sturdy, and I love the flexibility. Mine are in the HT Equipment room with its own AC, so the rack is open.
If needed, I'd buy them all over again.

I have 22 year-old Salamander Synergy racks (dual 70" with a side table), and they are still amazingly sturdy, and I love the flexibility. Mine are in the HT Equipment room with its own AC, so the rack is open.
If needed, I'd buy them all over again.
My Synergy 703 is probably that vintage as well. Synergy Model 703 - Salamander Designs
Both CLXs and 703 are all black and Synergy perf doors and side look great with perf of speakers.

Latest posts

Back