Hello Martin Logan Lovers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racero

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope the uploads of my ReQuests come out ok. That’s my cuz, Pete, standing with them. He is blown away listening to them. I am, too, with all the Martin Logan products I have owned, starting with a pair of Aerius back in 1993.

I will be talking with you soon
Racero

Attachments

• AC778A91-490E-4192-9BDE-610BBDA493E0.jpeg
    AC778A91-490E-4192-9BDE-610BBDA493E0.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 62
  • 2A2E23B4-04CE-4CAC-8E8F-00F8123A362F.jpeg
    2A2E23B4-04CE-4CAC-8E8F-00F8123A362F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
Welcome to the club.

Do post a new thread about your system.

These are the 2nd pair of Quest Z’s that I have owned. The first pair I sold to my brother back in the 1990’s, when I moved to a house with a smaller listening room. I listened to Aerius speakers for years, which I switched once for Apogee Slant 6’s, which are also very good.

For amps, I have mostly used Krell (KAV 300i and FPB 300) and Aragon 4004. I currently use a KAV 250p preamp.

I have been using a California Audio Labs CL-10 CD player for 25 years! Have also rotated in Denon and Sony es CD players, but liked them less.

recently acquired a Node 2i streamer.

These are the 2nd pair of Quest Z’s that I have owned. The first pair I sold to my brother back in the 1990’s, when I moved to a house with a smaller listening room. I listened to Aerius speakers for years, which I switched once for Apogee Slant 6’s, which are also very good.

For amps, I have mostly used Krell (KAV 300i and FPB 300) and Aragon 4004. I currently use a KAV 250p preamp.

I have been using a California Audio Labs CL-10 CD player for 25 years! Have also rotated in Denon and Sony es CD players, but liked them less.

recently acquired a Node 2i streamer.

Quest Zs are such great speakers.In the 26 years I’ve owned them, I’ve never once considered getting rid of them.

Quest Zs are such great speakers.In the 26 years I’ve owned them, I’ve never once considered getting rid of them.
I totally agree. I have auditioned all the successor models (Prodigy, Summit, etc.) and while they do bass better, I can’t justify the extra $$$ on that basis.

I totally agree. I have auditioned all the successor models (Prodigy, Summit, etc.) and while they do bass better, I can’t justify the extra $$$ on that basis.
Exactly. As I just repaneled mine, I expect that at this point I’ll have them for the rest of my life.

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had both the Aerius and Apogee Slant 6 speakers prior to getting Quest Z’s. Anyone else have experience with these, or with Apogee in general?

I have a pic attached. My observations to follow. (BTW, I still have these speakers).

Attachments

• FF654C0E-DC1C-41B5-A763-ABDA57072967.jpeg
    FF654C0E-DC1C-41B5-A763-ABDA57072967.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 40
As I mentioned in a previous post, I had both the Aerius and Apogee Slant 6 speakers prior to getting Quest Z’s. Anyone else have experience with these, or with Apogee in general?

I have a pic attached. My observations to follow. (BTW, I still have these speakers).

I was not aware we were allowed to own more than one pair at a time. I'm going to have to have a discussion with my wife...

You can do that, but risk being called any number of expletives ( in a loving way). Good luck

Attachments

• 20210313_173001.jpg
    20210313_173001.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
I was not aware we were allowed to own more than one pair at a time. I'm going to have to have a discussion with my wife...
LOL. My wife is very tolerant, at least when it comes to audio/video equipment.

You can do that, but risk being called any number of expletives ( in a loving way). Good luck
Cool set-up, Lightloopy. I’ll bet those VTL mono blocks really light up those CLS speakers, which are power hungry.

Thanks. The VTL MB 250's were my all time favorite for 12 yrs. 225 watts triode! Unfortunately I did not have the skill to keep them running as they aged but did end up selling them to a good friend with the electrical know how to fix them and he absolutely loves them. He also got my SL3's which is one of the best combinations I have heard. At least i still get to enjoy them now and then!

Thanks. The VTL MB 250's were my all time favorite for 12 yrs. 225 watts triode! Unfortunately I did not have the skill to keep them running as they aged but did end up selling them to a good friend with the electrical know how to fix them and he absolutely loves them. He also got my SL3's which is one of the best combinations I have heard. At least i still get to enjoy them now and then!
Just curious, but why was it that you felt you couldn't keep the MB 250's running? The only tube amp I've got any experience with is an Audio Research REF 75 SE. Other than having to manually adjust the bias every so often, and change out the tubes after 2000 hrs, it doesn't seem to be too tough to work with (although, getting down and up off the floor to manually adjust bias is not ideal for me which is why if I do anything else with tubes, they will be auto-biasing). I was sort of considering one of the new VTL monoblocks, and with auto-biasing etc., they look even easier to deal with. I realize your MB 250's are an older model, but with my inexperience with tubes, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. Thx in advance!

Maintaining them was easy and very reliable for 12 years. The issues were just age related. I had the caps replaced ( quite a puddle of oil under the amps) . Then the B+ fuse kept blowing and my technician just said they are plain old. I considered sending them to an amp repair/restoration shop but was not confident about the services. My EE friend offered to work on them-no promises.
I think new VTL's are awesome but were cost prohibitive. I also wonder if they sound the same. Also rarely come up on the market used.
Now my EE friend after a lot of time/tinkering has tamed these VTL nuclear reactors( he had never seen rail voltages so high) and I get to hear them with SL3's. Still sounds amazing. ( I'm a little jealous)

Maintaining them was easy and very reliable for 12 years. The issues were just age related. I had the caps replaced ( quite a puddle of oil under the amps) . Then the B+ fuse kept blowing and my technician just said they are plain old. I considered sending them to an amp repair/restoration shop but was not confident about the services. My EE friend offered to work on them-no promises.
I think new VTL's are awesome but were cost prohibitive. I also wonder if they sound the same. Also rarely come up on the market used.
Now my EE friend after a lot of time/tinkering has tamed these VTL nuclear reactors( he had never seen rail voltages so high) and I get to hear them with SL3's. Still sounds amazing. ( I'm a little jealous)
Okay, thx for the details. I just wanted to make sure that if I actually committed to tubes, I wasn't 'biting off more than I could chew' (now I'm probably showing my age :ROFLMAO: ). While I absolutely love my tube amp when listening to two channel music, I'm trying to consolidate, and since I share my ESL 15's between my two channel and home theater systems, I will likely go with solid state amps (but probably keep my tube amp for those special occasions)...

Latest posts

Back