Hello, I'm new.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beat_Dominator

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. Looks like you have a nice message board here with a lot of information ;)

I'm 24, and live in Phoenix Az.

I'm a long time fan of ML speakers as an encounter with a set of ReQuests forever tuned my ears for a real soundstage. On that same day I listened to a set of B&W 801's which also aided in my being hooked on audio for life.

I have just joined because I recently won a pair of Sequel IIs on eBay. I have not gotten them yet but I have seen what it might take to get them up to good operating condition.

Welcome

I am the owner of more than one set ML's, like some of us here. I have a pair of Sequel II's that I do use too. I would wait until you get them and then determine what they may need.

There are many questions to be asked and answered before they will be "good operating" condidtion. Of course that is somewhat of an ambiguous term as best.

The first thing I would do is inquire if you can from the seller the age, condition, environment they were used in, type of music played (to a point) if you can. The panels and the electronics are serialized and once you get that "we" can tell you the age of both and this will also tell you if the panels were ever replaced.

Beyond having the power/current to drive them, panels is good shape, woofers in good shape and enough space behind and to the side (if possible) you should be "good to go" generally. Everything else may be cosmetic and that can be fixed and or changed.

Jeff :cool:

Welcome Beat Dominator-

I've been an audioholic for 12 years now.

We who are in the ML Club came because we finally gave up trying to control our audiophilia. We still hate to admit that we can never just simply window shop. Then we heard from other ML members that we were sick. (We thought so for years!) We found out that many people suffered from the same feelings of guilt and and hopelessness that we did. We found out that we had these feelings because we had the disease.

We decided to try and face up to what audiophilia had done to us. Remember, there is no disgrace in facing up to the fact that you have a problem.

To get you more aquainted with the site, the only requirement for membership is a desire to keep upgrading. There are no dues or fees for ML membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions.

ML is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes.

Our primary purpose is to stay keen at listening and help other audioholics to achieve nirvana.

Yours Truly,
Beat Master

I know what you mean, being a lowly College student I have only been buying older used equipment and have already done some capacitor replacements and cosmetic "upgrading".

I would be powering the Sequels with a Forte Model 6A amplifier, I have the 1992 issue of Stereophile where they reviewed it and it produces something like 350w per channel @ 4ohm. They are also known to be quite stable down below 2ohm so I feel I should be in good shape there.

SugarMedia said:
Welcome Beat Dominator-

I've been an audioholic for 12 years now.

We who are in the ML Club came because we finally gave up trying to control our audiophilia. We still hate to admit that we can never just simply window shop. Then we heard from other ML members that we were sick. (We thought so for years!) We found out that many people suffered from the same feelings of guilt and and hopelessness that we did. We found out that we had these feelings because we had the disease.

We decided to try and face up to what audiophilia had done to us. Remember, there is no disgrace in facing up to the fact that you have a problem.

To get you more aquainted with the site, the only requirement for membership is a desire to keep upgrading. There are no dues or fees for ML membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions.

ML is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes.

Our primary purpose is to stay keen at listening and help other audioholics to achieve nirvana.

Yours Truly,
Beat Master

I am sick! :eek: :p

Welcome Beat Dominator.

I have been a die hard Martin Logan fan since I was 20. I was living in Phoenix AZ at the time, going to school and stopped into a dealer and saw a pair of Martin Logan’s for the first time and that was all she wrote. From that point on I was addicted to the sound and had to have a pair. Like a few people here the Top Roman diet helped me get my Logan’s. Building my system has truly been a labor of love and it have been great to share it here and talk to people that are as crazy about this stuff as I am.

Again welcome to the club. :D

Last edited:
Welcome to the club and good luck with your Sequel IIs. Make sure you post your system in the "Member Systems" area, and have a good listen before you decide if they are in "good operrating condition" or not. Oh, and give them a good vacuum before you plug them in!

FYI, I bought my MLs (Aerius) in 2001 when I was your age! High end audio systems are not very common, and most people have never had exposure to one, however I find that once people have had exposure (like yourself) they are hooked for life - it is that good!

Welcome!
I have the original Sequels which I just got from a friend of mine. They came with new replacement panels, but I've got my work cut out for me. They're really dusty and they've sat around for about ten years. Enjoy your IIs, and keep us posted! :D
Regards,
Ross

Hi BD!

Just having turned 24, I can emphatize with you. I started with the Mosaics about 1 year ago, then moved to Vantage, then Summits within 6 months.

As Joe (Zip) mentioned, Top Ramen diet is a good one... I was seriously on it for about a semester! To tell you the truth, I just paid off my Summits this week! I'm debt free!!!!

Once you're hooked, you're a goner.

Welcome to your wallet's demise. ;)

Uh oh.... debt Free..... but will it last.....? ;) What will Joey HAVE to get next..... Stay tuned for the next exciting adventure in "Ramen for Life". :D

David Prall said:
Uh oh.... debt Free..... but will it last.....? ;) What will Joey HAVE to get next..... Stay tuned for the next exciting adventure in "Ramen for Life". :D

You can't fully appreciate your Logan's untill you try the Top Ramen Diet at least once. :D

Joey_V said:
Hi BD!

Just having turned 24, I can emphatize with you. I started with the Mosaics about 1 year ago, then moved to Vantage, then Summits within 6 months.

As Joe (Zip) mentioned, Top Ramen diet is a good one... I was seriously on it for about a semester! To tell you the truth, I just paid off my Summits this week! I'm debt free!!!!

Once you're hooked, you're a goner.

Welcome to your wallet's demise. ;)

When are the Statement E2s coming?

When are the Statement E2s coming?

Hmmm.... Let's see if Joey upgrades to Statements, then he can make me a deal on his Summits, and I can move the Vantage to the rear ... then I need to find me a Theatre I, and of course a surround processor and another 3 or 5 channel amp, and then....... Oh MY! :eek: I think I'm catching the disease! lol :D

I can hear it now....

"Guys I just got the Statements but they are a little big for my dorm room. Holy moly...these things rock!"

And don't forget when the girls see them "Oh my those are big" :D
SugarMedia said:
I can hear it now....

"Guys I just got the Statements but they are a little big for my dorm room. Holy moly...these things rock!"

Sequel II's...

BD,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!

I've been a ML audiophile for only about six years. :p
I was just wondering about your good fortune..., just how you come to win a set of Sequel II's on ebay? It sure is a wonderful way to get started with ML's that's for sure. ;)

It's good to have you here... :D

Some people refer to things they buy on Ebay as "winning" them. In any

case, with ML'S its a win- win situation, welcome and enjoy.

SugarMedia said:

Geeez... I dont post for a few hours and this is what I come back to?

I see... mockery, eh?

:p

Back