Hello from the Uk

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin

Reaction score
Hi to all of you Martin Logan owners, it looks like there is a wealth of info in here. I have owned sl3's for over 10 years and have upgraded to summit x In the process of sorting out my relastively small room acoustics.Looks like i should find some useful info here. Anyone have any suggestions as to whether to put speakers on some formn of solid footing, marble slabs or something, at the moment they are spiked on a carpeted floor.

Martin, welcome !

assuming your Logans are solidly spiked to / through the carpeting I say why change.

Thanks Dave, yes solidly spiked and have to say the new spikes on the summit x are a lot more solid than what i had before.

Welcome Martin, you'll find a few more British ML owners here too.

Regarding the spikes on your Summit x, I found substantial improvement to my Spires on limestone slabs, see my system page for further info. In my opinion, the current range offer great sound per pound, but there are some small improvements available to elevate further!

Where are you located?

Rgds,
Paul

Good evening Paul, thank you for your post. Interesting to hear you found the slabs to be a benefit, i also note your comments on rake angle of the speakers, that is something i have yet to play around with. I also note you have "various room treatments" i have been looking into some sort of bass traps and a little diffusion or absorption, either rpg or gik stuff, do you have any experience here?

I am in a somewhat snowy Dorset.

Martin

Don't know what your floor is made of, but my thoughts are that solid wood, is: solid maple block, would be a good base for the speakers (as well as any other components. Look at the "Mapleshade" website for their info on maple beingthe preferred substrate.

Welcome. I have had my Vistas on 3" Graninte Surface plates for a year now, and I'll never go back. I noticed that the bass response improved quite a bit, as well as tightness. I believe that the surface that your loudspeakers are placed on will go a long way to deciding overall sound quality. To best describe my view of this, think of a loudspeaker (transducer) radiating a sound wave(s) away from it. A sound wave is energy, and even air provides substantial resistance to that wave travelling. The result is that as the transducer pushes the wave away from itself, it is in turn pushed in the opposite direction. The effect, IMO, is that when a loudspeaker is placed on anything soft or pliable, such a carpet, some of your loudspeakers' energy is wasted in the form of physically moving the weight of the loudspeaker. I have Machine Quality 3" x 12" x 18" plates that weigh roughly 90 lbs (substantially more than the loudspeakers they support), and I'm using the finely adjusted spikes, which seem to find a happy home in the pores of the granite surface. These plates are pretty inexpensive ($100.00 or so each), and are readily available at any machine tool retailer. To try before you buy, just get a couple heavy patio paving stones from a landscaping store ($6.00 - $10.00 each) and guage the result. I was impressed, and the again when my granite arrived. I must stress that it is important to use a plate that is significantly heavier than the loudspeaker that rests on it (factor of 2 or 3). You can view mine here:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14383-System-455-(Vista)

Good evening Paul, thank you for your post. Interesting to hear you found the slabs to be a benefit, i also note your comments on rake angle of the speakers, that is something i have yet to play around with. I also note you have "various room treatments" i have been looking into some sort of bass traps and a little diffusion or absorption, either rpg or gik stuff, do you have any experience here?

I am in a somewhat snowy Dorset.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Rake is down to preference and is very noticeable between 85* and 90*, upright being more toppy,ie, more panel. I've not done too much with treatment really, apart from 2 6 x 3 rugs on my rear wall, and the corner fitted floor to ceiling curtains, it's as it has been for years, it just feels about right..

Cheers,
Paul.

Hello and thank you for this, i like the idea of trying with some slabs first. I have some granite left over from a kitchen refit so this is a good way to try.The floor i have is a "floating floor" which is not necessarily as solid as i would like or am used to.
I note your comments re weight of the plates. Thanks for your input.

Hi Paul, thank you for the info, i have a free weekend so will be experimenting re the rake, i have a feeling a slight forward tilt would be to my tastes. It is always useful to hear other peoples views and opinions on their own findings.
Many thanks
martin

thank you for your input. lots of experimentaion to be done, but all in the quest for the best sound i can get from the speakers i have.

Latest posts

Back