Hello from IL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterB

Reaction score
Hello from Illinois. Been a Martin Logan owner for several years now but just learned of this forum recently. I started my ML journey with a pair of Motion 60XT's and a 50XT center. From there I moved on to a pair of ESL X's and an ESL C center and added in some 4i's and LX16's for surrounds. My initial focus was on HT, but have slowly been shifting my focus to improving the 2-channel analog facet of a dual-duty system. To that end, I recently upgraded the ESL X's to 11A's and could not be happier. I think that's where it ends for now speaker-wise since I simply don't have room for anything bigger.

Welcome! The ESL 11A is a wonderful speaker. Glad you are enjoying them. Please let the group know what equipment you are using upstream as this is equally important to getting the most out of these speakers. As always, don't forget placement, placement...Enjoy!

Welcome! The ESL 11A is a wonderful speaker. Glad you are enjoying them. Please let the group know what equipment you are using upstream as this is equally important to getting the most out of these speakers. As always, don't forget placement, placement...Enjoy!

Thank you! I am currently using an Anthem AVM 60 pre/pro for both HT and 2-channel running into a Rotel RMB 1585 5x200 amp. I have a deposit down on a McIntosh MA352 hybrid integrated, which I listened to through the 11A's at my dealer and thought it paired well. My plan is to use the HT bypass feature on the McIntosh to integrate it into the Anthem chain for HT and then by itself for 2-channel analog using my Marantz TT15S1 turntable as the source.

The MA352 looks really nice and should sound great. I am using an MC1502 and I am very happy with it.
Also the ML will sound harsh out of the box and takes about 2-3 months to settle in.

Welcome @MisterB , from a fellow IL resident! Sounds like a nice system you have. Great to have you here!

Thank you! My system is slowly but surely getting to where I hoped I'd eventually get it. It's been a long time coming. I hope once I get my room treatments and the 2-channel integrated added in, I will finally be at the point where I can just sit down and enjoy the music and movies for awhile.

Welcome! This is a great place to be for those who appreciate Martin Logan speakers.

Interested in your thoughts and plans regarding room treatments, as I too am about to embark on this area of the journey.

Also, might you care to post a pic of your system?

Again, a hearty welcome to the site.

As others have said, welcome to the site. I am from Illinois, too, and have enjoyed ReQuests and later Summits for many years now. It sounds like you have a wonderful system. Enjoy, and welcome aboard!

Welcome! This is a great place to be for those who appreciate Martin Logan speakers.

Interested in your thoughts and plans regarding room treatments, as I too am about to embark on this area of the journey.

Also, might you care to post a pic of your system?

Again, a hearty welcome to the site.

Thanks for the welcome! For room treatments, I'm starting off with GIK Impression Pro Series corner bass traps in the front R and L corners, floor to ceiling. These are the triangular wedges with diffusion plates. GIK recommended these as the best option to try to tame the bass build-up along the front wall and open up the soundstage. We'll see. There's about a 4-week lead-time right now. Still about 2 weeks to wait. Depending on how those work, I may build some additional 6" thick rectangular traps out of rockwool to place along the floor between the GIK corner traps. Would be happy to take and post some pics once I get the traps installed and things rearranged. The room is in a little bit of disarray at the moment.

As others have said, welcome to the site. I am from Illinois, too, and have enjoyed ReQuests and later Summits for many years now. It sounds like you have a wonderful system. Enjoy, and welcome aboard!

Thank you for the welcome! I'm up in the NE part. I see you're down in the SW. You might be farther south than this, but I go through the Springfield and Collinsville areas once or twice a year on my way down to Branson, MO. If given the choice, I'd probably prefer to be much farther downstate, but work and family keeps me up here.

Yes, I am farther south; about 35 miles southeast of St. Louis, MO. I understand about work and family; that's why I am where I am, too.

Thanks for the welcome! For room treatments, I'm starting off with GIK Impression Pro Series corner bass traps in the front R and L corners, floor to ceiling. These are the triangular wedges with diffusion plates. GIK recommended these as the best option to try to tame the bass build-up along the front wall and open up the soundstage. We'll see. There's about a 4-week lead-time right now. Still about 2 weeks to wait. Depending on how those work, I may build some additional 6" thick rectangular traps out of rockwool to place along the floor between the GIK corner traps. Would be happy to take and post some pics once I get the traps installed and things rearranged. The room is in a little bit of disarray at the moment.
While waiting for my GIK bass traps, I stuffed some Knauf Insulation Earthwool® Insulation Board with ECOSE® Technology 3lb I got from GIK into unused cabinet space (roughly 4’x2’x2’). It looks a lot like rock wool, and probably is just a variant. Anyway, it improved the sound of my theater enough to make me want to finally receive the bass traps (front ones also have diffusion).

I am waiting on treating my music listening room until the changes slow down, but will probably use wedge bass traps on the floor to cover up speaker cables. I get much more freedom in the theater to do what works, because of course the theater is dark when in use.

@MisterB
Welcome aboard from another newbie!
You said:
" I think that's where it ends for now speaker-wise since I simply don't have room for anything bigger. "

Sure, that's what you say now!!!!!!

@MisterB
Welcome aboard from another newbie!
You said:
" I think that's where it ends for now speaker-wise since I simply don't have room for anything bigger. "

Sure, that's what you say now!!!!!!

LOL...You're probably right. If you only knew how many times I've said that before... :giggle:

Back