Hello from a new member

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pneumonic

Reaction score
Hello, all.

My name is Kerry and I just found your impressive home and am very happy to have done so. Reading thru what ya'll have to say I think I'll fit it perfectly.

I have been a ML owner going on 10 years now. I originally bought a pair of Sequel II's which I just recently sold and replaced with a pair of newly paneled Quests. I am using a Sonic Frontiers SFS 80 (matched Gold Aero KT99's) power amp with a Bedini BC 800 pre amp. I am currently in the midst of figuring out the best setup for the Quests which appear to be a much more difficult placement speaker than were my Sequels. But I'm patient, and persistant, and will take my time getting it just right.

Hi Kerry,

Welcome to the ML club. I see your a member on cam also, I belong to that one as well. There is a lot of great imformation on this site and it has been quite helpful to me.Goodluck on setting up your speakers.

Hello, all.

My name is Kerry and I just found your impressive home and am very happy to have done so. Reading thru what ya'll have to say I think I'll fit it perfectly.

I have been a ML owner going on 10 years now. I originally bought a pair of Sequel II's which I just recently sold and replaced with a pair of newly paneled Quests. I am using a Sonic Frontiers SFS 80 (matched Gold Aero KT99's) power amp with a Bedini BC 800 pre amp. I am currently in the midst of figuring out the best setup for the Quests which appear to be a much more difficult placement speaker than were my Sequels. But I'm patient, and persistant, and will take my time getting it just right.

Hola and welcome Kerry. I am another Sonic Frontiers user. I have the model Power 2 driving my CLSIIz. The tubes that I am using now are just regular 6550s made in Russia. I had tried many different tubes brands and KT-88s...all I can say is: no matter the brand or the tube type, all are very good and matches great with my ML, I truly can´t say wich I liked most...
Your new Quests are one of the best mid-range speakers regardless of price a decade ago and even today´s. All most music is mid-range. You have classics driving them like the Bedini Preamp...try to use the frashlight method for the set-up and lie-down them to their back in a such way that you have a little tilted the panels to the back wall, and tell us if you like your new sound...try it this way, you might like it better. You can get better high dispersion, so cymbals will be more life like...this is my liking and not necessary yours...they should be also at least three feet away from the back wall. With the feet, you can adjust the height just 1/4 " by unscrewing them at the front...happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi Kerry,

Welcome to the ML club. I see your a member on cam also, I belong to that one as well. There is a lot of great imformation on this site and it has been quite helpful to me.Goodluck on setting up your speakers.
Hey, yes, I know you from CAM, Moon. Any other CAM members in these parts?

Hola and welcome Kerry. I am another Sonic Frontiers user. I have the model Power 2 driving my CLSIIz. The tubes that I am using now are just regular 6550s made in Russia. I had tried many different tubes brands and KT-88s...all I can say is: no matter the brand or the tube type, all are very good and matches great with my ML, I truly can´t say wich I liked most...
Your new Quests are one of the best mid-range speakers regardless of price a decade ago and even today´s. All most music is mid-range. You have classics driving them like the Bedini Preamp...try to use the frashlight method for the set-up and lie-down them to their back in a such way that you have a little tilted the panels to the back wall, and tell us if you like your new sound...try it this way, you might like it better. You can get better high dispersion, so cymbals will be more life like...this is my liking and not necessary yours...they should be also at least three feet away from the back wall. With the feet, you can adjust the height just 1/4 " by unscrewing them at the front...happy listening,
Roberto.

Hello, Roberto.

Thanks for the welcome and tips.

I bought up all of the matched Gold Aero KT 99's that I could find and have used them pretty much exclusively the last 6 or so years.

I have yet to play around with tilting on my Quests but will give it a shot. The biggest problem I'm having with these Quests is bass boom. It's almost overpowering, especially compared to my Sequels.

I've got them a shade over 3' from the back wall with about 7 1/2' separation from middle of panels. This seems to be the best for depth and side imaging but it's giving me fits with bass. I've got treatments in place that I have been experimenting with and I'll keep working on it.

Any idea if the high output Z of my SFS 80 (above 3 ohms) might be causing me grief with my Quests? To many peoples surpirse this wasn't a problem at all when paired with my Sequels but maybe the combination with my Quests with the SFS 80 is a mismatch .........

Welcome, Kerry! I am also a Sonic Frontiers fan. I still have an SFL-2 preamp sitting unused in my bedroom and a SFD-2 Mk 3 DAC which I still use in my 2 channel system. You will find lots of useful info and neat people in this club.

Welcome, Kerry! I am also a Sonic Frontiers fan. I still have an SFL-2 preamp sitting unused in my bedroom and a SFD-2 Mk 3 DAC which I still use in my 2 channel system. You will find lots of useful info and neat people in this club.

Makes me want to cry a little bit - the SFL-2 is such a sweet pre-amp. My first foray into tubes was with an SFL-1. I remember it fondly to this day. Still a big Sonic Frontiers fan myself.

Hello, Roberto.

Thanks for the welcome and tips.

I bought up all of the matched Gold Aero KT 99's that I could find and have used them pretty much exclusively the last 6 or so years.

I have yet to play around with tilting on my Quests but will give it a shot. The biggest problem I'm having with these Quests is bass boom. It's almost overpowering, especially compared to my Sequels.

I've got them a shade over 3' from the back wall with about 7 1/2' separation from middle of panels. This seems to be the best for depth and side imaging but it's giving me fits with bass. I've got treatments in place that I have been experimenting with and I'll keep working on it.

Any idea if the high output Z of my SFS 80 (above 3 ohms) might be causing me grief with my Quests? To many peoples surpirse this wasn't a problem at all when paired with my Sequels but maybe the combination with my Quests with the SFS 80 is a mismatch .........

I had the bass problem too. Can you place them more away from their's back wall?...it seems like a room resonance at that partiicular point. Also, you could reverse the polarity of one speaker and notice the amount of bass...yes, I do know it is not good to reverse the polarity...but just it is to find the problem...also, bi-wire, using a no good bass cable, and will lower that too much bass. I am just thinking loud. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi Kerry,

I'm a Sonic Frontiers fan as well. I had the Anthem Integrated One a few years ago. I wish I still had it. It'd be nice if Sonic Frontiers got back into tubes again...

Thanks for the welcomes, all.

Been very busy readying for the summertime but I have been experimenting with bass trap locations and numbers mostly and I am making progress getting these Quests to sound their best. Not where I want them to be soundwise but getting better. At least the bass boominess has been mitigated some and the glorious mids have stayed the course. I could probably live with this setup but, like most of us, I'm not done tinkering in the least.

When this gets close I'll give the REDGUM a try and see how it works in place of my SFS 80.

Latest posts

Back