Hello Everyone

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reible82nd

Reaction score
I ordered some used ESL X speakers and a Logos center channel from tmraudio.com a few days ago. This is my first ML purchase and I’m excited to hear what all the fuss is about (pun intended)!

I was trying to decide between a used set of Magnepan 3.5Rs and MC1s to do the “dual center” setup Magnepan recommends…but I opted for the MLs instead. I’ll be using an Adcom GFA-5503 paired with a NAD T163 processor and a pair of REL HT/1205 subs to fill out the bottom end. The only concern I have right now is with the Logos center. It’s in great cosmetic condition and has been fully tested by TMR Audio, but it’s a pretty old electrostatic speaker that ML doesn’t service anymore.

I’d be interested to hear any suggestions from the community on prolonging the life of my new (to me) Logos.

Id be curious to see if the electrostatic panel on the logos is the original. The site says logos was launched in 1994.

The speaker should have a serial number on it that will show when it was made. The panels on the main left and right speakers have their own serial numbers, I'm thinking the center channel should have one too. It might be hard to get to though. On the mains, the # is on the inside bottom side of the panels. If you can find a number on the Logos speaker panel then you'll be able to see if it was ever replaced. Hopefully there will be two sets of serial numbers. One for whole speaker and one for the panel.

Your ESL X speakers will have two sets. On this forum there is a thread that tells you how to decode the numbers.

Robert,

Thanks for your response and the info on serial numbers! The speakers wont arrive until next Wednesday, but I’ll check them when they do and provide an update.

I ordered some used ESL X speakers and a Logos center channel from tmraudio.com a few days ago. This is my first ML purchase and I’m excited to hear what all the fuss is about (pun intended)!

I was trying to decide between a used set of Magnepan 3.5Rs and MC1s to do the “dual center” setup Magnepan recommends…but I opted for the MLs instead. I’ll be using an Adcom GFA-5503 paired with a NAD T163 processor and a pair of REL HT/1205 subs to fill out the bottom end. The only concern I have right now is with the Logos center. It’s in great cosmetic condition and has been fully tested by TMR Audio, but it’s a pretty old electrostatic speaker that ML doesn’t service anymore.

I’d be interested to hear any suggestions from the community on prolonging the life of my new (to me) Logos.

I almost bought them from TMR wasn't for the crazy international shipping quotes.

Welcome. So all the other components are ready for the ML?

Welcome & Congratulations on your Logos purchase!

I would not be concerned about the age on the Logos. It sounds like it is in immaculate condition; this beast is built like a tank!

I own 2) Logos & absolutely love them! One is positioned above & the other below a 12' 16:9 screen (so the effective center sound is in the middle of the screen). Each Logos is powered by one channel of the Anthem 400 WPC STR Power Amplifier.

You are in for a real treat!! Congratulations!!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I’m relieved about the feedback on the Logos and look forward to getting everything hooked up!

As far as components go, I bought the NAD T163 from TMR also and the Adcom from the original owner on US Audio Mart. Wiring-wise, I went with Monoprice Onix interconnects and KnuKonceptz speaker wire. I’ve used KnuKonceptz for many years on car audio stuff with good results…plus their stuff is more budget-friendly. Karma SS 12-gauge bi-wire cables for the ESLs (8-gauge total) and 10-gauge for the center, with wire pants and banana plugs. I have to put everything together, but it’s a small price to pay for twisted OFC cable at $1.55 per foot. Below is a link to the bi-wire cable if anyone’s interested:

https://www.knukonceptz.com/home-th...le/sp/karma-ss-12-gauge-bi-wire-speaker-wire/
I’ve stretched my budget pretty thin for all this stuff. As time goes on I’ll do some upgrades, but this will have to do for now.

On another note, I got the shipping confirmation from REL today for the HT/1205 subs. Apparently they have very strict instructions for returns. I have to inspect the packaging when I receive them and if it’s damaged at all, I have to refuse delivery. If the packages look ok but the subs are damaged when I unpack them, I have 24hrs to report it to REL. If I don’t follow these instructions they won’t honor returns. That’s the first time I’ve dealt with a company that goes full CYA mode. Hopefully they make it in one piece, lol.

REL packs their subs so well, they probably could survive falling off of a tailgate. You made another stellar choice!!

TMR is a great place to do business with- Nick is the best. I am running CLS with REL T9X. Good combo so far but it's only been a day for the speakers.
Enjoy!

REL packs their subs so well, they probably could survive falling off of a tailgate. You made another stellar choice!!

That’s definitely reassuring! It would be REALLY depressing if they were damaged.

TMR is a great place to do business with- Nick is the best. I am running CLS with REL T9X. Good combo so far but it's only been a day for the speakers.
Enjoy!

Are your CLS the black ones that were listed recently?!?! I was looking at those…then one day, they disappeared! If so, you got some REAL gems my friend!!

Yes. I had Nick pull them off the site and called ML. Then got the low down on the units and how they tested etc.

Now they are in the house!

Thanks. !!

I just built the first speaker cable. 10-gauge tinned OFC with gold-plated connectors. It took a little while, but is definitely worth it. The outer jacket is SUPER thick, I had to use an razor blade to slice through it!

B5D72943-EE52-4693-B614-5F2907418C32.jpeg

Back