Hello everyone, new member

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slava

Reaction score
Hi, I was directed here from other forum. What a good place :)
I own 2 sets of ML. I Was looking for a solutions to clean ESP. one
of my Source speaker started to make a static noise. Now I am
in contact with ML people trying to find out what is wrong. Last night
I kinda made a decision to buy a budget amplifier with more modern interfeces. I Found that Marantz HD-AMP1. I am not sure if this one
will be powerful enough to drive my Ascent speakers. Those are 4ohms and should be fine with 20-400 watt per channel. I am rarely using
them LOUD.
Any one has recommendations?

The big thing all the guys on here recommend is that the specs for the amp should show a doubling of rated power when going from 8 ohm to 4 ohm. Closer to double is better.

I've got an old set of Prodigy speakers and use an Aragon dual monoblock to power it. I have that plugged into the pre outs of a new Marantz 11 channel atmos receiver.

Welcome! I used SS 200-350 watts for a long time w/ SL3's. I eventually settled on VTL 250 watt triodes and have enjoyed these for 10+ years. My impression has been that the non powered ML's need significant quality power to do their thing.
Also there is a thread dedicated to amp recommendations.

Thank you for detailed explanation. I just noticed that in my question I forgot to mention that I am planning to use that budget
amp for my small ML SOURCE. those are really small and not a power hungry. 5ohm however.
BTW the Marantz HD-AMP1 is the one that has 35wt at 8 ohm and 70 at 4ohm. Looks like not powerful
but has that double spec.

You can also see what PS Audio offers. The Strata does a lot and has a 200 watt 4 ohm rating. I think the Marantz unit should be the lowest powered amp you buy. It should work fine as your probably listening at very low levels. But, if you ever change to less sensitive speakers, you could use more power. Good luck on whatever you purchase. Its ALWAYS fun buying new equipment!!

Welcome Slava, The HD-AMP1 will work but be careful not to send it into a state of clipping as that is not a lot of power to be drawn on.
If, what you are hearing sounds good to you then you are fine.

Hola and welcome Slava,

All electrostatic speakers make odd noises once and then. Usually this noises are easy to locate. The noise is a debris between the front stat panel and the diaphragm. First find the exact place from where the odd noise is coming. Mark the place with a little piece of masking tape. Having disconnected from the wall the Mains AC overnight, using a soft brush, you can scrub right there. Or you can use a vacuum there too. Also, if you wait a little bit, this unwanted noise will go away.

Regarding the power amp required for your Source, don't use any HT receiver to power them. It is much better to have a dedicated power amp. You can buy good used power amps that can drive your Source nicely. Try to find an Acurus, they can drive ML very good and effortless. Acurus is a discontinued product, but they are very well built. The designer was Mr. Dan D'Angostino, responsible for most Krell power amps. The stat panels act like a big capacitor. This is the reason why you should use a good power amp. Good does not means power. Good means stable with capacitance load.

Happy listening!

Thank you guys for sharing your experience. I disappeared because I was working on my Source speaker. ML tech support recommended to switch panels on
speakers to figure out if problem is in ESP. Funny part is after switching them both working fine with no noise. All the time before that one was making strong
static noise everyday after 20 min of use. Probably dust or some loose parts inside of cabinet (they were flipped for replacing a panel). May be this info will help someone :)

Back