Hear's somethin U don't see every day- Logos, Theater i or Stage Dual Center Channels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAUSGP

Reaction score
As they say, long time listener, first time caller. Bare with me a minute as I try to explain what I need help with. I have had my Martin Logans for 12 years. I just completed refurbishing all my MLs. This included 4 Stylos and one Logos. I replaced the panels and the woofers and they all sound great. They didn't really sound bad in the first place, but hey they were 12 years old and I was convinced by reading posts that the panels do age and lose a little as they get 10 to 12 years old. I talked with Jim Power at ML and he confirmed that I would hear a difference if I refurbished my MLs. While I was at it, I did the woofers too. I must say that it all sounds pretty good and I do think that they are back to as good as they were when I first bought them, but if I read some of you guys right, once in for a penny, in for a pound and all this critical listening got me to thinking. I am starting to wonder if it would be worth it to either replace my Logos with a Theater i or a Stage or try something like add a Stage to the center channel and leave the Logos as a Center also. In other words dual centers or dueling centers. I am starting to think I belong to the school of thought that you can't have too big of a center channel. Like many of you I have dual subwoofers and since it was easy to split the sub channel out to two subs, I wondered if anyone had ever tried splitting the center channel to two center channel speakers. I was thinking one above and one below the 120 inch screen. With that said, I have looked and looked and have found it hard to find a lot of good feedback on the Stage as compared to the Theater i or even harder the Logos. I know that the little I have read says that you need to match all the front speakers so I would be better off in some guys opinion to get Summits and a Stage so the front is a match, timbre, sound and technology wise, etc. but I really like my Stylos as they are mounted on the wall just either side of my screen. I currently have a multi--purpose room that at the touch of a button turns into a HT or a multi-channel music room. Hit one button and it turns back into a living room complete with a putting green. But that is another story. Anyway, I have a 7.1 system with Logos Center, Stylos front and rear and Fresco i side channels. The subs are Sunfire Signature EQ and SVS PB13, I listen to both multi-channel music and movies and by the way if you haven't tried the new Oppo DV980H which takes SACD and DVD-audio and converts it from 5.1 to 7.1 via a HDMI connection you really are missing something. Until you have heard DSOTM in 7.1 on an ML system well anyway you catch my drift, I have terminal MLism. Anyway, by now some of you are probably wishing that I was still a long time listener and not a first time caller. But if any of you can give me some guidance on whether I should A) go with a dual center channel, Stage and Logos B) Get a Theater i off Audiogon and replace my Logos, or behind door number 3 get Summits or CLXs and a Stage and switch my Stylos with the Fresco i side channels.

Well anyway at least hopefully this post has given someone out there something to ponder at least I hope so. Anyway any and all opinions are appreciated.:music:

A very efficient and sonically correct center channel is what you want. Others may chime in on this with much more knowledge than me, but I am afraid that if you were not SUPER careful with dual center channels then you might end up with DUELING center channels and that would just totally screw up the sound.

I have a Theater...LOVE IT! WAY better than my Cinema. Mentioned this on another thread already but will again here (it was with regard to a different ML speaker on the other thread) my local dealer when the Stage came out replaced his Theater i... He REALLY likes all the current stuff from ML. He passed on the Odyssey/Prodigy line though and went from ReQwest or something else straight to the Summit...

Good luck and welcome to the forum! Lots of good folks here who can help you out!

...But if any of you can give me some guidance on whether I should A) go with a dual center channel, Stage and Logos B) Get a Theater i off Audiogon and replace my Logos, or behind door number 3 get Summits or CLXs and a Stage and switch my Stylos with the Fresco i side channels. ...

A) First, no mixing of two different speakers in a single channel. even if from same brand.

now, if you wanted to stack two identical units, like a pair of theater's, then that could work. Matter of fact, a stack of four of them would make a real killer center speaker.

But the cost of that is clearly not practical. a single speaker of the right size is usually best.

B) replacing the Logos with a Theater would indeed be an upgrade (I had a Logos).

C) Of course this is the best option :cool:

Seriously, if you really want to see what an ML system can really do, swapping the front Stylos for a pair of Spires would be a huge leap. But get a Stage center as well if doing that.

John, would it make more sense if you have Aeon i mains to go with a used Theater or a new Stage?

John, would it make more sense if you have Aeon i mains to go with a used Theater or a new Stage?

Yes, any of the last-gen mid-size models would do fine with a Theater. I'd pick size based on levels of mid-bass performance you're looking for. almost all can do the mids and highs to near perfection, the biggest differences are in the under 500hz range

Back