Hearing is believing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
Just upgraded my IC and Speaker cables with Harmonix GP & SLC series. I have also ordered XDC Power cables for my entire equipment incl. Summit Power cables. This will be my last investment I hope on the cables. I could not imagine the difference what my system is capable of. All these years I had tried MIT Terminator 2 , MIT Proline , DH Labs Silver Revelation and Q-10, I had to them them all out of my windows now!!! I thank Cleon for recommending and convincing me to go for the Harmonix cables. I was about to order MIT Magnum Series but changed my mind due to the fact that these cables are not suited for Valve Amplifiers which I am planning to add in future. I have done only 90 odd hours of burn-in against 400-500 hours. These cable what the manufacturer claims are the tuned cables and only of its kind in the world. All these days, I thought that I had a bad room acoustics but after replacing with these cables, everything seems to have fallen in the right place – specially the bass becomes tighter and the space increased in the mid range and highs becomes smooth as a silk. Since I do not have any dealers of Harmonix in the region, the designer Mr Kiuchi of Harmonix referred to a Mr. Cecil Tang –Audio-Note in Singapore. I now realized that he has a terrific patience of handling a probable buyer like me. He is very prompt and quick in his replies and always kept up with his delivery schedule. I fully recommend anyone who want to deal with him.

... I have done only 90 odd hours of burn-in against 400-500 hours. ...
I am just curious:eek: , why do the makers claim there is a need for burn-in?
Do the electrons flow more smoothly after the burn-in process, or is it something else?:confused:

I understand speaker break-in, where rubber surrounds of drivers have to achieve optimum elasticity. But cables?

I am just curious:eek: , why do the makers claim there is a need for burn-in?
Do the electrons flow more smoothly after the burn-in process, or is it something else?:confused:

I understand speaker break-in, where rubber surrounds of drivers have to achieve optimum elasticity. But cables?

Cable burn-in (run-in) acts to set the way the dielectric interacts with the conductor, absorbing and releasing energy which causes time/phase effects with the audio signal. A fully run-in cable will more linearly absorb and release energy, minimizing these timing/phase errors. I will say that cable effects are clearly audible IMS as are the effects of run-in. See the link to AudioQuest below for details.

http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/aq_cable_theory.pdf

Anyone who doesn't believe that cables need burn-in, or that cable materials and construction techniques doesn't matter should read up on quantum physics, electrical transmission on the sub-atomic level, and quantum tunneling. In the strange and wild world of physics, they are finding that there is actually more that we DON'T know about how energy flows through materials than what we do know...

It would not surprise me to see, in the near future, some of the high-end cable companies making a big deal about "pre-treating" their cables to establish proper current flow, by treating their cables at the factory with high-bandwidth, high energy signal pulses, or something.

--Richard

It would not surprise me to see, in the near future, some of the high-end cable companies making a big deal about "pre-treating" their cables to establish proper current flow, by treating their cables at the factory with high-bandwidth, high energy signal pulses, or something.

--Richard
Check the review of the Synergistic Research Tesla cables in the latest TAS. That is exactly what they do.

Back