Heard the Rotel 1090 powering the Summits....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I went over to visit Steve (Stesom) today and I got the opportunity to hear his Summits being driven by my preamp RC1070 with my amp (RB1070) vs his Rotel RB1090. Needless to say, I'm impressed to say the least.

The 1090 definitely takes control of the panels better than the 1070. There was always this "haze" that I knew was messing with the *focus* that I always talked about and I'm glad to report that it definitely has a lot to do with the amplifier. His Summits werent as aggressively toed-in as mine were, but I still got a sense of focus, plus immediacy and transient dynamics with his 1090. With the 1070, we both agreed that the background wasnt as black nor were the dynamics as palpable relative to the 1090.

I also got to listen to his Classe CA400, which is a definite monster, physically and sonically. I wasnt able to really A/B the Classe vs the 1090 so it's hard for me to appreciate the nuance differences.... but the 1070 was definitely up to its waist in mud.... the 1090 simply danced around it.

Steve was very generous and let me listen to a vinyl record on his very expensive TT... very impressive - especially on the Classe!

He kept mentioning Plinius, so I will look more into the Plinius... though most probably I will stick with the 1090 until I graduate.

Thanks again Steve! And... nice car!

Joey :)

It was a great pleasure having you over and it always fun to get to share my system with a fellow audiophile. Only problem was that our time went too fast. Hopfully you can make it back over and we can spend more time comparing equipment and listening to music........Have fun.......Steve

Joey_V said:
I went over to visit Steve (Stesom) today and I got the opportunity to hear his Summits being driven by my preamp RC1070 with my amp (RB1070) vs his Rotel RB1090. Needless to say, I'm impressed to say the least.

The 1090 definitely takes control of the panels better than the 1070. There was always this "haze" that I knew was messing with the *focus* that I always talked about and I'm glad to report that it definitely has a lot to do with the amplifier. His Summits werent as aggressively toed-in as mine were, but I still got a sense of focus, plus immediacy and transient dynamics with his 1090. With the 1070, we both agreed that the background wasnt as black nor were the dynamics as palpable relative to the 1090.

I also got to listen to his Classe CA400, which is a definite monster, physically and sonically. I wasnt able to really A/B the Classe vs the 1090 so it's hard for me to appreciate the nuance differences.... but the 1070 was definitely up to its waist in mud.... the 1090 simply danced around it.

Steve was very generous and let me listen to a vinyl record on his very expensive TT... very impressive - especially on the Classe!

He kept mentioning Plinius, so I will look more into the Plinius... though most probably I will stick with the 1090 until I graduate.

Thanks again Steve! And... nice car!

Joey :)

Joey, Glad you got to do some "comparison" listening, Having already traveled the road your on I think your headed in the right direction with respect to auditioning the Plinius when available. Having owned the RB-1090, and listened at length to the Classe', Pass Labs and Plinius it came down to the little things that the SA-102 did better than the others.

Keep in mind it dosen't end there.......... do I dare say pre-amp upgrade ?? !!

Isn't if fun helping to spend someone elses money !!

twich54 said:
Joey,
Keep in mind it dosen't end there.......... do I dare say pre-amp upgrade ?? !!

Isn't if fun helping to spend someone elses money !!

It's all fun and games until Joey's bank account dwindles back to Ramen status... isnt it??!! :mad:

Heard the Rotel 1090 powering

Joey V: Good afternoon. I always thought that the Rotel company was a good solid company both to work with and from which to get some very good deals. May I ask if you used your own interconnects or shared, or used stesom's? Did they make any difference do you think in adjusting to the new sound?

audioraptured said:
Joey V: Good afternoon. I always thought that the Rotel company was a good solid company both to work with and from which to get some very good deals. May I ask if you used your own interconnects or shared, or used stesom's? Did they make any difference do you think in adjusting to the new sound?

We tried to stick with my interconnects but we used Steve's audioquest speaker wire. I even brought my 1070 preamp so as to give me a sense of what the setup would sound like as part of my system.

Joey

Back