HDMI’s 1.3 Spec Is Announced Yet Big Questions Remain.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tiberium

http://www.avrev.com/news/0706/06.hdmi13.shtml

While the group behind HDMI says their format is “backwards compatible” (meaning an HDMI 1.2 device will function in an HDMI 1.3 system), the plugs are different sizes, creating the need for yet another adapter or even a cable change.

I knew this was going to happen so I waited and it looks like my wait will pay off.

You will still be waiting awhile... You might see these in new Blu-Ray players down the road, but most 2007 TVs will not have this connection. Not even sure if the PS3 will have this connection, and if they do, there won't be anything to connect it to.. Unless manufactures get smart and have TV sets with both 1.2 and 1.3 versions or have the new 1.3 be backwards compatiable. Saying this is one thing, actually making it happen is another.

Audionirvana said:
You will still be waiting awhile... You might see these in new Blu-Ray players down the road, but most 2007 TVs will not have this connection. Not even sure if the PS3 will have this connection, and if they do, there won't be anything to connect it to.. Unless manufactures get smart and have TV sets with both 1.2 and 1.3 versions or have the new 1.3 be backwards compatiable. Saying this is one thing, actually making it happen is another.

Yes the PS3 WILL have HDMI 1.3. It has been in the PS3 specs from day one.

HDMI 1.3 is backwards compatible with HDMI 1.1. And 1.2.

Think of the new smaller connector like USB connections, you have the original large connection and the smaller mini ports, both are compatible with each other just different sizes.

Sony will have their Blu-Ray player with 1.3, PS3, and they are coming out with some Receivers with it as well. They should be the first available equipment with the lossless compression codecs.

Expect them in November.

Think of the new smaller connector like USB connections, you have the original large connection and the smaller mini ports, both are compatible with each other just different sizes.

The main point is that we can now run full 1080P and lossless audio through the same connector unlike HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 so I think that backwards compatibility is unimportant. I liked how a lot of people were complaining about the high end (not all) not offering anything to do with HDMI and now most of the non HDMI 1.3 equipment is useless.

When can we expect processor refurbish up-grades?

I'm wondering when Anthem, Arcam or Theta Digital will offer to refurbish / up-grade their previous processor models, with then HDMI 1.3, in 2007...? :confused: Or is this upgrade be accomplished visa vie firmware, this year or early next year? :confused:

How is HDMI 1.1/1.2 gear useless now?

The whole point of HDMI was to pass a 1080P video signal and full 5.1+ lossless audio from equipment to equipment and HDMI 1.1, 1.2, can not do this so what is the point of having it now?

I'm wondering when Anthem, Arcam or Theta Digital will offer to refurbish / up-grade their previous processor models, with then HDMI 1.3, in 2007...? Or is this upgrade be accomplished visa vie firmware, this year or early next year?

HDMI 1.3 has a physical change to it so it will have to ba an upgrade.

Thanks for the info guys.... I don't think 1.1 and or 1.2 HDMI will be usless. In fact these will be used for sometime till 1.3 becomes more widespread. I thought you can still pass a 1080p signal through HDMI 1.1 and or 1.2 you just can't do high end surrond and video at the sametime... from my understanding.

Audionirvana said:
Thanks for the info guys.... I don't think 1.1 and or 1.2 HDMI will be usless. In fact these will be used for sometime till 1.3 becomes more widespread. I thought you can still pass a 1080p signal through HDMI 1.1 and or 1.2 you just can't do high end surrond and video at the sametime... from my understanding.

Yes you can pass 1080P over HDMI 1.1 and 1.2.

Robin said:
I'm wondering when Anthem, Arcam or Theta Digital will offer to refurbish / up-grade their previous processor models, with then HDMI 1.3, in 2007...? :confused: Or is this upgrade be accomplished visa vie firmware, this year or early next year? :confused:
Robin,

For Anthem to add HDMI 1.3 to the D2 it would require the new HDMI 1.3 ports, processing chip and firmware.

Audionirvana said:
I agree, If you think about it 1080i and 720p have yet to make it to the masses. HDTV is a long way off from 1080p(a lot of the networks do not even do 720p or 1080i well) and probally along way off before 1080p DVDs take over. A limit in material will surely limit the transition. Among this group it might be concerning but we are not the majority.

7.1 Channel Inputs

I am very happy with my pre-pro amp combo. No it doesn't have HDMI1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 but it does have 7.1 channel inputs. Before you digital addicts (no harm meant...Im an analog addict) attack me I would just like to make this point. I am waiting for a player to come out that is worthy of my system. No offense to Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer, or Samsung (I apologize if I left anyone who has a next generation player in the works) I am waiting for Denon, Marantz, Krell, Linn, McIntosh, Classe, TEAC or someone of the like to have a player that decodes within the unit all the new surround sound formats and doesn't give me an * next to the format it should be able to decode. Yes it would be nice for the digital bass management but I would rather have a player that has a nice design and some thought put into it. Do you remember the issues and design flaws of the first CD player or the first DVD player or Even worse the first HDTV's...and look whats available after some trial and error. The only item I can think of that was impressive on its first release was the Sony SCD1. I am sure you folks have some as well. Well that is my small rant. Dont let all these numbers worry you because that's exactly what the MFG want from you. The want you to buy the emperor's new clothes!

Jeff

Zip3kx07
"Yes you can pass 1080P over HDMI 1.1 and 1.2."

That is what I thought, so no biggie right now. I think hardware manufacters need to play some catch up ;) Hey audiogeek1007, I have a SCD1!! Thank God I waited till a few weeks ago to purchase one used, saved a ton of money.

Audionirvana said:
Hey audiogeek1007, I have a SCD1!! Thank God I waited till a few weeks ago to purchase one used, saved a ton of money.

What do ya think....Impressive isnt it. Plus you can kill your enemies with the remote. I will give sony this...When they lock the engineers in the dungeon and don't let them out and more importantly do not give them a price that they must create it for.

Robin said:

It is totally impossible for Anthem, Arcam or anyone but Theta and Meridian to do an upgrade to their systems in the HDMI 1.3 field. Arcam's President himself told me that in an email. The requirements needed to fully take advantage of HDMI 1.3 would require more than a simple port/card replacement.

Theta and Meridian both claim they can do it by replacing two boards. One is the processing board and the other is the video connection board.

In a total twist, it appears Theta may be first to the market with HDMI 1.3 available for a high end Pre-Pro. They claim theirs will be ready in 8 to 12 weeks from receiving the HDMI 1.3 chips.

Arcam doesn't at this point appear to have anything on the horizon for likely a year. My counterpart who deals with Anthem was told 16 months was a likely waiting period. The reason being that demand just isn't strong enough yet to rush it.

I don't think 1.1 and or 1.2 HDMI will be usless.

They are right now, well that is what I think because without a source that can give true 1080p I don't see the point. The only reason for HD dvd and blue ray was to have 1080p and lossless audio and since we do not have this yet I see no reason to have anything with HDMI connectivity. I will agree that HDMI and blue ray are being held back by the playstation 3 but that is how the world works.

I am waiting for a player to come out that is worthy of my system. No offense to Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer, or Samsung (I apologize if I left anyone who has a next generation player in the works) I am waiting for Denon, Marantz, Krell, Linn, McIntosh, Classe, TEAC or someone of the like to have a player that decodes within the unit all the new surround sound formats and doesn't give me an * next to the format it should be able to decode.

That's why I posted the information on HDMI 1.3 because it has been finalized for 1080p and lossless audio so now the equipment manufacturers can start designing products.

In a total twist, it appears Theta may be first to the market with HDMI 1.3 available for a high end Pre-Pro. They claim theirs will be ready in 8 to 12 weeks from receiving the HDMI 1.3 chips.

Why rush it lets do it right and make it work.

Here is an overview of what HDMI 1.3 is adding.

Higher speed:
• HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high-definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, deep color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.

Deep color:
• HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.
• Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors.
• Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors.
• Enables increased contrast ratio.
• Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more.

Broader color space:
• HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.
• Next-generation “xvYCC” color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals.
• Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately.
• Enables displays with more natural and vivid colors.

New mini connector:
• With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.

Lip Sync:
• Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with accuracy.

New lossless audio formats:
• In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

Tiberium said:
Why rush it lets do it right and make it work.

I don't think they're rushing. They've had the Audio Codec information for over a year. They likely have that processing down. The HDMI interface has been demanded for a long time from them. They've had a card designed but were waiting for 1.3 to do it right the first time.

The other companies mentioned by Robin went ahead and released new product without waiting. Their business plan is simple, right now they provide 1080p video for those that want it. The Audio Codecs are going to be decoded by new players, and they have analog ways to provide that sound.

So they're not missing out on anything. However they need to keep their product on the market until they've sold enough to pay for the development of their new pieces. While that takes place they will see which or if either new format even takes off.

Right now their just isn't enough demand for the product. Theta may be releasing a 1.3 HDMI board, but may not be releasing the Audio Processing part yet. I've heard that was a possibility. However they will have the HDMI 1.3 inputs in their machines for Video at least in likely October.

Back