Have Aerius, what receiver/component to get? New owner, please advise!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yang1815

Reaction score
Hello there. I have recently purchased a 51" Hitachi HD RPTV for the living room and I just bought a pair of Aerius. I cannot decide what receiver to get because I've been reading this forum and it seems like to run the electrostatics, separate components are recommended. I have no experience whatsoever when it comes down to that.

Can I run a receiver directly to the electrostatics if I were to do dual outputs from the receiver (A+B)? If yes, would a receiver under $1,000 do the job? I am personally thinking about an Onkyo TX-SR703 or 803. For 4ohm speakers the outputs' are rated pretty high (170W and 180W, respectively) Or would I need to do receiver to amp(s) to speakers?

O and what about cables??? Any suggestions comments are greatly appreciated, I would like to start enjoying my ML soon.

Here's the TV and the space I will put the new speakers/receiver at.
b13144527.jpg

Here's the room from a different angle.
b13008254.jpg

Last edited:
Seperates are Superior

Personally I would get separates,but since it seems like you have a budget under $1000 i would look into an Integra receiver.As far as the home theater receivers go,Integra is one of a few good companies that can please anyone in the hi-end world.Try looking at the DTR-6.5 or the even the newer DTR-6.6.They are both good units.Also look at the Rotel RSX 1056 and RSX 1067,there nice too.

I too would personally go for seperates - even if you go for used. A receiver will generally leave you wanting more and will really only "get you going" - especially given the size and openness of your room!

Seporates...

Yang1815,

You posted this thread again... :D

My reponse again:

IMHO, I would recommend using your Onkyo reciever, as a processor for now... IMHO, I think you should purchase Aerius i's with a good power amplifier like; Anthem Statement A5 or P5, Cary Audio Cinema X, Sim Audio Moon Aurora. You can try for deals on Audiogon, with patience you could pick-up a deal. IMHO, later you could add to your system i. e., up-graded the processor with something like; Anthem D1 or D2. Then later after that add a tubed preamp. What kind of interconnects and speaker cabling do you have currently? What percentage do you listen HT an Music? What is your HT room like? What are the dimentions of your room?

Remember to, 'trust your ears' :D Also, try to audition prespective equipment at home first. Patience is a big key, to building a quality ML system... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Yang1815,

You posted this thread again... :D

My reponse again

Robin, you posted this response again, and it's not what I'm looking for! The Onkyo stays in the HT room. This is a different system I'm trying to build... I'm buying new stuff to go with the ML, everything including cabling... In addition, the amps you've mentioned are over my budget! They won't work...

ml360 said:
Personally I would get separates,but since it seems like you have a budget under $1000 i would look into an Integra receiver.As far as the home theater receivers go,Integra is one of a few good companies that can please anyone in the hi-end world.Try looking at the DTR-6.5 or the even the newer DTR-6.6.They are both good units.Also look at the Rotel RSX 1056 and RSX 1067,there nice too.

Isn't... Integra = Onkyo???

I'll look into the Rotel ones.

And another question would be... If I go for separates, what do I use to "switch" input from TiVo to DVD player and other sources???

Your right,Integra is the higher line of Onkyo but it is better.To have a receiver that you can switch on/off you tivo ect without loosing any resolution I would still look into the Rotel line.....its good stuff thats deserves a good speaker such as your Aerius'.

Yang1815 said:
Robin, you posted this response again, and it's not what I'm looking for!

Chill...Robin was just trying to help. You even stated in your thread that you have read seperates would be the best but you know nothing about it. We can help with seperates - new or used, many used items have great prices compared to new.

Dual ouputs from receiver to the speakers....I would not do it myself.

Receiver to Amp to Speakers is using the Receiver as your Processor, as Robin suggested to you, and then you would be using seperates - so you understand something about seperates.

Switching TV from TIVO, to DVD, to VHS, to others...this is where the receiver can act as a receiver or a processor (like Robin suggested to you) with seperate amps.

Cables.....Many threads here. Cables are TOTALLY personal preference and all suggestions will be a personal preference. Set you budget, look for what is in your budget, audition them, find the ones you like - install and love them. We all can suggest cables to try at a price point. Nice stuff at a decent price that I would suggest are the DIY places - Heartland, Blue Jeans, Signal Cable, and if you want a larger company with great stuff for lower prices - DH Labs (www.silversonic.com).

Regarding Budget, this thread does not state your total budget. What is it? Exactly what components are you looking for? Reciever, Sub, DVD/CD/Universal Player, Cables (IC's, Speaker, Digital, Video or all of the above)? Movies only or Music too?

If ANY of this is not what you want to hear, let us know what you want us to say.

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
Regarding Budget, this thread does not state you total budget. What is it?

If ANY of this is not what you want to hear, let us know what you want us to say.

Dan

Thanks Dan!!! O I'm fine with Robin's response, I wasn't "un-chill" or anything. The exclamation marks are just to get her attention.

In addition, okay so scratch that "dual output" thing from the receiver. I guess my real question would be... Which one would sound better?

a higher end receiver such as Denon 3806 or Rotel 1056 by itself?
OR
a cheaper receiver such as Onkyo 703/803 with amps?

My budget would be around $1,000 to $1,500 for the receiver (amps) and cables.

As for cables, is there a specific "kind" for the Aerius? I mean the connection such as banana type or something. As for interconnects (if I were to buy amps) would just be regular RCA type right? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yang1815 said:
Thanks Dan!!! O I'm fine with Robin's response, I wasn't "un-chill" or anything. The exclamation marks are just to get his attention.
He is a her...

In addition, okay so scratch that "dual output" thing from the receiver. I guess my real question would be... Which one would sound better?

a higher end receiver such as Denon 3806 or Rotel 1056 by itself?
Hard to say without listening to them. My guess would be the Rotel as MY preference is Rotel over Denon - but AGAIN I would have to hear them first before making a final decision.

a cheaper receiver such as Onkyo 703/803 with amps?
In theory would probably be better, but depends on the amps used, just as what receiver you would use. Typically a receiver just does not posses the current to drive a ML properly, but one has to do with what one can afford. Robin ran off a Pioneer Receiver for awhile before purchasing her Anthem. Loved her system with the Pioneer, and now loves her system even more with the Anthem...but she did it one step at a time and has passed on to you her experience with this.

Remember you can also purchase crappy amps, just like crappy receivers :)

My budget would be around $1,000 to $1,500 for the receiver (amps) and cables. As for cables, is there a specific "kind" for the Aerius? I mean the connection such as banana type or something. As for interconnects (if I were to buy amps) would just be regular RCA type right? Thanks.

For speakers I always perfered spades at the speaker end. If you plan on plugging and unplugging the speakers for moving them or other issues, then banannas as the way to go.

Interconnects can be RCA or XLR terminated. But for the level of equipment you are looking to purchase (budget level), you will more than likely be using RCA terminations.

Dan

Audiophile advice...

DTB300 said:
He is a her...

Hard to say without listening to them. My guess would be the Rotel as MY preference is Rotel over Denon - but AGAIN I would have to hear them first before making a final decision.

In theory would probably be better, but depends on the amps used, just as what receiver you would use. Typically a receiver just does not posses the current to drive a ML properly, but one has to do with what one can afford. Robin ran off a Pioneer Receiver for awhile before purchasing her Anthem. Loved her system with the Pioneer, and now loves her system even more with the Anthem...but she did it one step at a time and has passed on to you her experience with this.

For speakers I always perfered spades at the speaker end. If you plan on plugging and unplugging the speakers for moving them or other issues, then banannas as the way to go.

Interconnects can be RCA or XLR terminated. But for the level of equipment you are looking to purchase (budget level), you will more than likely be using RCA terminations.

Dan
Dan,

I think, I'm finding out, it's not always easy to give audio advice. :eek:

Thank you, Dan, for coming to my aid, I appreicate it very much. You are a true gentleman. ;)

Cheers

-Robin

Tough call for me on which scenario would sound better. For a $1500 budget it might be tough to get an amp AND the 703/803 which are already about $800/$1000 (new) right? Of course, you might squeak by if you go used.

My suggestion would be to get a better receiver rather than if to stay within budget, you have to get two mediocre separates. You can always add an amp later as funds permit.

You can use either banana or spade terminations on your speaker wire. I prefer spades on mine. The interconnects (most likely) will be RCAs. Generally, most higher-end components have the option of balanced (XLR) connections as well.

You're going to be happy with the system any way you go! The Aerius are great speakers.

DTB300 said:
In theory separates would probably be better, but depends on the amps used, just as what receiver you would use. Typically a receiver just does not posses the current to drive a ML properly, but one has to do with what one can afford. Robin ran off a Pioneer Receiver for awhile before purchasing her Anthem. Loved her system with the Pioneer, and now loves her system even more with the Anthem...but she did it one step at a time and has passed on to you her experience with this.

Okay so just for example, let's say I would like to get Onkyo TX-SR703 or TX-SR803's with or without an amp. Keep in mind that the 703's rated at 170W/Ch @ 4ohms and the 803's 180W/Ch @ 4ohms. In theory the Aerius can handle up to 200W and this would be pretty close to the limit. However, would an amp be still recommended to be used with these receivers?

If yes, the question would be, what would be a good amp to be used in combination of the Aerius and the Onkyo receiver that is around $500~$800 on eBay or audiogon. Not retail price!!!

Dan said:

Okay well I guess the termination is just a personal preference. However, should I use bi-wire or single-wire to connect the speakers? I assume if it's straight from the receiver then it would be single wire, but if from amp then bi-wire? Or could bi-wire be used for the receiver?

dyazdani said:
Tough call for me on which scenario would sound better. For a $1500 budget it might be tough to get an amp AND the 703/803 which are already about $800/$1000 (new) right? Of course, you might squeak by if you go used.

My suggestion would be to get a better receiver rather than if to stay within budget, you have to get two mediocre separates. You can always add an amp later as funds permit.

You can use either banana or spade terminations on your speaker wire. I prefer spades on mine. The interconnects (most likely) will be RCAs. Generally, most higher-end components have the option of balanced (XLR) connections as well.

You're going to be happy with the system any way you go! The Aerius are great speakers.

Thanks dyazdani! Okay so let's say I'll buy a receiver for now and no amps. Would a receiver such as the Onkyo 803 be sufficient enough to drive the ML's? Or would there be another receiver that you recommend. And please keep in mind that the budget is not for retail, but for used ones (eBay or Audiogon).

The next question is... Would the production year of the Aerius matter? For example the ones I purchased are about 7 years old, should I worry about them going out anytime soon? Thanks.

The easy question (as far as capability) first: you could use bi-wire either way. The merits of bi-wire vs. single wire are always a debate so I won't go there. I use bi-wire in my system though.

I would still recommend an amp with that receiver, but I'm not sure how much you will gain with a $500 amp. I guess it depends on exactly what you could find.

I'm not sure that the production year would matter a whole lot. The panel life is one variable. Some older versions were not bi-wireable.

I would think the Onkyo would drive them fine, though with your budget, you could probably find a little better one used.

dyazdani said:
I would think the Onkyo would drive them fine, though with your budget, you could probably find a little better one used.

What would be a better receiver you'd suggest?

Denon 3805, 3806? Integra DTR-8.4? What about Harmon Kardon's? I'm not familiar with Rotel or Anthem, don't know any model numbers >_<

Last edited:
dyazdani said:
The easy question (as far as capability) first: you could use bi-wire either way. The merits of bi-wire vs. single wire are always a debate so I won't go there. I use bi-wire in my system though.

I would still recommend an amp with that receiver, but I'm not sure how much you will gain with a $500 amp. I guess it depends on exactly what you could find.

How do I use bi-wire from the receiver??? Isn't there only one output for the speaker...

Robin said:
Dan,

I think, I'm finding out, it's not always easy to give audio advice. :eek:

Thank you, Dan, for coming to my aid, I appreicate it very much. You are a true gentleman. ;)

Cheers

-Robin

Robin, I appreciate your response very much! Please don't be discouraged to help people just because of me!

Back