Has this ever happened to you?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1957

Reaction score
I was looking at an ad for a Primare PRE30 pre-amp on Audiogon this morning when I realized that the picture in the ad was lifted from an ad I had posted earlier in the month for my PRE30. The guy must have downloaded the image file from my ad, cropped it and posted it as his own. :mad:

Now I recognize that "overreaction" is my middle name, but this bugs me.

Has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing happening?

I have seen some ads with big copyright marks embedded, but have always thought it was a joke. I have been unable to get Audiogon to do anything.

Bob R.

Never happened to me, but may I say - Big deal? So what?

Was your picture of such artistic merit that you don't want anyone else using it without payment? Do you think Primare are annoyed that a picture of one of "their" amps is on the 'net?

I don't quite see why you'd be bugged by this.

Yup, had something very similar happen to me about 3 years ago. I had an ad with photos I took of a complete Paradigm 5.1 speaker system, and I later leaned that some guy was using my exact same photos to sell his speakers on eBay.

eBay was informed about this and shortly after the photos were replaced with others. But I imagine this kind of thing happens often.

Seth

Bob,

In the best interest of the buyer, I am disheartened by what the seller has done with photos not his own... IF he specifically stated on this ad that the pic was of his own product.

All the best.

Happens all the time. You should be flattered:music:

I used to have a web page, complete with photos and what not for every piece of gear in my system. Some of them are popular pieces that show up on eBay often.

So I notice that some of my web site pages are getting disproportionate number of hits (like why do 8,000 people care about an Adcom GFA555 on my site).

Tracking down the source of the links, I found many eBay listings were just embedding my page into the lisiting to provide the product description.
Others were a little more indirect and just would link to my site indicating the 'product description' could be found there.

Since I don't get charged by page hits or make any money from ads, I didn’t care one way or another.

But this happens often.

So caveat emptor.

Thanks for replies. I didn't think it was a big deal, medium deal maybe. What bothered me is the dishonesty of it. The way I read the ad, it was clear it intended to convey that the picture was of the actual item when in fact it was not.

So I ask this follow-up question. If you bought an item from someone on A'gon or ebay based on the description and / or photos implying excellent condition, and got a box of parts, would you feel as though you had been treated honestly?

These sites are utterly dependent on the honesty of the members. If Ebay is subject to more of this it may be simply because it is so much larger. Audiogon has been blessedly free from it in my experience. Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe somebody who steals pictures of the net can be trusted completely. I would never buy anything from him. I hope it was a one-time lapse of judgment.

Bob

Back