Has anyone preordered the Sony Blue-Ray Player?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Advice...

lugano said:
Robin, if you're interested in a software engineer's opinion, well, here it is:

NEVER BUY VERSION X.0 (x=1, 2, ...) OF ANYTHING.

:)
lugano,

Yes, I know, you are right.... I've heard that from other friends and my brother-in-law (who is a chemical engineer) as well. Having said that though, the new Blue-Ray Sony seems very cool... :D I am very very tempted though... What do you think of this new product?

Robin said:
Joe,

Is it cheaper or better customer service from Sony... ?

NO, I have a SonyCard so I aculeate points for every purchase I make. 1-point pre dollar I spend on non-Sony gear, 3 points I spend on Sony gear and 8 points pre dollar spent at the Sony style store. I purchased my projector from Sonystyle.com so I got 24,000 points from the projector, another 8,000 from the Blu-Ray player would be nice. I plain on getting the PS3, so that another chunk of points.

Out of the current HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players I have seen, the Sony looks to be the most complete. Having said that, this player is still in development and could see some changes before release. But so far it is one of the few players that should ship with the Dolby Plus and DTS-HD decoder built in. So far all the other players I have seen are not going to have the DTS-HD decoder built in.

Robin said:
the new Blue-Ray Sony seems very cool... :D I am very very tempted though... What do you think of this new product?

Robin, I still remember my first CD Player from Sony. When I bought it, the biggest music store in Zürich had about 20 CD titles available, out of which I bought 3. I've been listening to them for a long time but all my friends kept telling me that I'm nuts to spend so much money on a technology with an uncertain future :)

Fact is, I don't buy DVDs. I rent them, because there are only 3 or 4 movies that I feel worth enough to be watched more than once. And for video I am using a projector, which is not capable of high definition and which I don't plan to change before they start with regular HD TV. Therefore I won't be an early adopter of blue-ray. YMMV...

Just as an aside...

I know this doesnt matter much, but does anyone know why Sony cant put a better lcd on that particular BR player? I mean, for the $1000 they charge, you'd think they can put on an alphanumeric lcd atleast... but no, they have the same lcd that is on those cheap 2$ calculators you can buy at walgreens.

It's probably just me, but I notice the weirdest things.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Fact is, I don't buy DVDs. I rent them, because there are only 3 or 4 movies that I feel worth enough to be watched more than once. And for video I am using a projector, which is not capable of high definition and which I don't plan to change before they start with regular HD TV. Therefore I won't be an early adopter of blue-ray. YMMV...[/QUOTE]

lugano, I too own very few DVD's and my projector ( cheapie Infocus screenplay 8500) only supports the 480p from my present DVD player. The interesting thing is I like the HD on TV broadcasts but feel the 480p better replicates curent theater, ie. "film" movies ???? Oh hell I'm just getting too old to keep up with all this new techno-whatever !!!!!!!!!!

oh well...

20 years ago they told us that the CD brings the perfect music. That we won't need to bother anymore. That we should not buy vinyl anymore, because the master tapes used to produce them were in the meantime digital, and why settle for less - get the digital directly. I thought that it made sense. But now they tell us that in 2007 the holographic DVDs will come, with 1 terabyte storage available... even if it's not 2007 but 2010, it will kill blu-ray in its Pampers. Or not ? Well, who cares. My projector lamp will work at least 3 years from today and once it's dead I will throw the whole projector on eBay and get the X.3.2 version of what will be available by then. Here in Switzerland HDTV is nonexistent for the time being...and this whole thing is business and business again, trying to squeeze all the dough from our pockets by buying all our DVDs again, paying royalties and rights all around. I passed on 3 technologies: the DAT tape, the MiniDisc and the SACD format, and continued to enjoy music without missing a beat.

Are we here for quality or to be the first to own something. Personally, I'm waiting until a "real" brand comes out with one before I even consider it - Linn, Naim, even Marantz - but I'm not buying mass market "consumer" brands.

Last edited:
lugano said:
20 years ago they told us that the CD brings the perfect music. That we won't need to bother anymore. That we should not buy vinyl anymore, because the master tapes used to produce them were in the meantime digital, and why settle for less - get the digital directly. I thought that it made sense. But now they tell us that in 2007 the holographic DVDs will come, with 1 terabyte storage available... even if it's not 2007 but 2010, it will kill blu-ray in its Pampers. Or not ? Well, who cares. My projector lamp will work at least 3 years from today and once it's dead I will throw the whole projector on eBay and get the X.3.2 version of what will be available by then. Here in Switzerland HDTV is nonexistent for the time being...and this whole thing is business and business again, trying to squeeze all the dough from our pockets by buying all our DVDs again, paying royalties and rights all around. I passed on 3 technologies: the DAT tape, the MiniDisc and the SACD format, and continued to enjoy music without missing a beat.

I couldn't agree more - I have said the same thing in another post but got shot down! Of course 1 terabyte is possible right now (650 MB was possible in 1982!) but that is not what it is about - it is about planned obsolesence!

amey01 said:
Are we here for quality or to be the first to own something. Personally, I'm waiting until a "real" brand comes out with one before I even consider it - Linn, Naim, even Marantz - but I'm not buying mass market "consumer" brands.

One possible advantage to being an early adopter in this case could be build quality of the units (ignoring Version 1.0 issues). I seem to recall that the original Sony DVD player (7000 series?) was considered incredible iron, and was overbuilt to a large degree. Later series from them and others started down the reduce-costs/scale-up-production curve, with an attendant loss in build quality such as using more plastic, cheaper electronics integration, etc.

Waiting for high-end brands to pick up on hidef formats could be a long wait. I imagine that they'll hold off until some critical level of adoption is seen, along with a threshold of available content. Given the format wars and discussion about whether average consumers will be confused by, or leery of the new format battle, we may never get to the critical mass required to interest the boutique brands.

I know that we all want a Blu-ray player for high def movies, but does any body else want to wait with me until they at least offer the ability to play CD's also? I mean come on, for 1000 bucks and I can't even listen to a CD on it. Yo!!!!!!

LOGANLOVE said:
I know that we all want a Blu-ray player for high def movies, but does any body else want to wait with me until they at least offer the ability to play CD's also? I mean come on, for 1000 bucks and I can't even listen to a CD on it. Yo!!!!!!

You're kidding right? Just purchase them all over again in the new format! :cool:

LOGANLOVE said:

I could care less if these first Gen players have CD playback or not. These players may be able to playback standard DVD’s, but from what I have been hearing they wont replace a good quality DVD player any time soon. My plain is to get a Blu-Ray player and keep my Pioneer Elite DV-59Avi for DVD's, CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, ETC. Until the Blu-Ray players get to a reference point I can retire my 59Avi.

Last edited:
SteveInNC said:
One possible advantage to being an early adopter in this case could be build quality of the units (ignoring Version 1.0 issues). I seem to recall that the original Sony DVD player (7000 series?) was considered incredible iron, and was overbuilt to a large degree.

I wish you were right, but I fear that these times are forever gone. Nowadays it's not the engineers that decide when a product is ready, it's the marketing who tells them that it's ready even if it's not. With a shipping weight of 11 lb (less than 5 kg), the Sony BDP-S1 is definitely not sturdy. Bulky, yes. The marketing decided that, and caught ya.

I really want one of these but honestly, I am still angry about Sony's apparent abandonment of SACD. Would any of you be surprised to learn I also once owned a Betamax? I also have four DVDA players. I am so sick...

tonyc said:
I really want one of these but honestly, I am still angry about Sony's apparent abandonment of SACD. Would any of you be surprised to learn I also once owned a Betamax? I also have four DVDA players. I am so sick...
Hey I still own a HiFi Betamax. At the time when video stores carried both formats, Beta-format tapes of desired releases were usually more available than the VHS equivalent, and the stores seemed to stock both formats, so having a Beta player was a good option (I had a JVC VidStar too - mechanical buttons and wired remote that only controlled speed).

I am not intending to repeat that experience. I held off until late 2005 before buying a hi-def TV, so I can wait awhile for hi-def DVD to shake out. I suspect that I'll get a PS3 whenever they come out, so the format decision may be moot.

Latest posts

Back