Has anyone preordered the Sony Blue-Ray Player?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Logan,
I believe your info is outdated. In an article in today's Newsday (NY Paper) both manufacturers say cd and dvd playback will be available.

Other Comparisons:

HD-DVD

Available: Late April Toshiba
Recorder: None announced
Partners: Toshiba ,NEC,Sanyo,Thompson/RCA
Studio support: Paramount,Universal Warner
Data: up to 30 gig (8 hrs) Audio: Dolby TrueHD,mult channel (10+ ?)

BlueRay
May(samsung) July Sony
Early summer Sony Vaio PC
Sony,Pioneer,Hp,Hitachi philips thomson samsung
Those plus MGM
50 Gig (9 hrs)
Dolby, DTS HD, 7.1 channel

Last edited:
I talked to a pioneer rep about the Elite Blu-Ray player; he said there player was not going to support CD’s at this time, because the chipsets they are using do not have support for anything else but Blu-Ray. It will be added in future Blu-Ray players but at this time they just don’t have time to add it. I am sure Sony is the same way, they are trying to get there players working and CD support is something they just don’t have time for.

I would expect to see Blu-Ray players with CD support at CES’07, and possibly a new Sony player with SACD support.

Insane ... $1k for a DVD player.

Is this 1985 and no one told me?

I'll buy a PS3/XBoX360 instead.

Munster said:
Logan,
I believe your info is outdated. In an article in today's Newsday (NY Paper) both manufacturers say cd and dvd playback will be available.

Other Comparisons:

HD-DVD

Available: Late April Toshiba
Recorder: None announced
Partners: Toshiba ,NEC,Sanyo,Thompson/RCA
Studio support: Paramount,Universal Warner
Data: up to 30 gig (8 hrs) Audio: Dolby TrueHD,mult channel (10+ ?)

BlueRay
May(samsung) July Sony
Early summer Sony Vaio PC
Sony,Pioneer,Hp,Hitachi philips thomson samsung
Those plus MGM
50 Gig (9 hrs)
Dolby, DTS HD, 7.1 channel
IF YOU THINK SO THEN CHECK AT CRUTCHFIELD.COM THEY LIST THE SPECS
NO CD PLAYBACK ON THE SONY BLU-RAY

LOGANLOVE said:
IF YOU THINK SO THEN CHECK AT CRUTCHFIELD.COM THEY LIST THE SPECS
NO CD PLAYBACK ON THE SONY BLU-RAY

Crutchfield just added the SamSung Blu-Ray player to there Hi-Def DVD page. The SamSung is listed as being able to playback CD’s, this could be an option for you, if you can live without a player that can playback CD's.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fBuURFVW7rB/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=279850&I=305BDP1000

» plays Blu-ray high-definition discs (selectable output resolution: 1080p signals available through HDMI output only; 720p/1080i signals available through HDMI or component video)
» plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM
» plays CD and audio CD-R & CD-RW

SteveInNC said:
One possible advantage to being an early adopter in this case could be build quality of the units (ignoring Version 1.0 issues). I seem to recall that the original Sony DVD player (7000 series?) was considered incredible iron, and was overbuilt to a large degree. Later series from them and others started down the reduce-costs/scale-up-production curve, with an attendant loss in build quality such as using more plastic, cheaper electronics integration, etc.

Well I got the very first DVP-S7000 here in Atlanta and still have it in my secondary system. Still going strong, even if all it outputs is 480i, it's still heads and shoulders better than some later units.
Build quality is out of this world.

I paid A cool $1K for it, no regrets a decade later.

However, I will not be doing the same with the Sony BR player. For one because I have a beef with Sony's rootkit exploit, second because I'm sure better models will be arriving within a year or two for less money.

In the short term, I'm looking at which Toshiba HD-DVD to get.

Loganlove, I thought I recently read that they will play both CD and legacy DVD. Is that everyone elses understanding as well?

tonyc said:
Loganlove, I thought I recently read that they will play both CD and legacy DVD. Is that everyone elses understanding as well?
Hey, if it changes, then it changes, but crutchfield specifically states that the Sony does not play cd's. Its not that it just doesn't mention cd's. It flat out says it does not play them.

tonyc said:

My understanding is "not necessarily" :). The Blu-Ray consortium is concerned only with the new format. Most manufacturers are likely to support the legacy formats too, just because it makes sense, but the Blu-Ray stuff uses very different technology, including a different compression algorithm, different reading assembly (blue .v red laser), etc. About all they have in common is the transport mechanism and physical media size. From a production and licensing standpoint, not including the legacy formats would be cheaper. From a marketing standpoint, it may work for early-adopter units, but most everyone else will want a one-plays-all unit.

From the Blu-Ray Disc Association FAQ:

"Can Blu-ray Disc products play DVD and CD?
Although this is not a requirement of the Blu-ray Disc format, it is very likely that all Blu-ray Disc products will play their DVD and CD counterpart formats. Compare this to the ability of today's DVD players to play CDs. Most companies have developed laser components and pickup units being able to read CD, DVD and BD."
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Section-13470/Section-14003/Section-14005/Index.html

For the Sony BDP-S1 specifically, Sony's site says Blu-ray disc and DVD. No mention of CD anywhere in the specs.

Sony BDP-S1

Last edited:
This situation could get ugly real quickly. If I understand what you folks are telling me, then we may all have to add extra shelves to our stands if we do not want to wait for a "universal" player. I simply can not see myself buying a bluray machine and an HD DVD machine to go with the Lexicon RT-10 I am currently using for DVD and surround SACD/DVDA. I am feeling more isolated and angry with each passing new format announcement! BTW Steve I visited Raleigh week before last for the very 1st time. I was so impressed by how green, lush, and beautiful the vegetation was. We have drought conditions in Texas right now and it is like a different planet.

I wonder.......do you think somewhere Thomas Eddison is laughing his ass off or crying ??????? I doubt very much if any of the technologies that have come down the pike since the "supposed" demise of vinyl will last as long !! ????

Does anybody know what kind of audio outs are on these players. Will an optical link work or will I have to have a bigger mess of RCA's behind my system?

mrmike said:
Does anybody know what kind of audio outs are on these players. Will an optical link work or will I have to have a bigger mess of RCA's behind my system?
That’s a trick question.

These players do have coax and optical audio outs, but if you use them with the new Dolby True and DTS-HD audio formats the audio will be down graded and sent out over the fiber optic. If your Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player has built in decoders then you can use the analog RCA outs to your receiver, or send a PCM single over HDMI to your receiver/pre-pro.

Eventually receivers and Pre-Amps will have the Dolby True and DTS-HD decoders built in with an HDMI port, so then you can send the raw single over HDMI and have the receiver/pre-amp decode it for you.

tonyc said:
BTW Steve I visited Raleigh week before last for the very 1st time. I was so impressed by how green, lush, and beautiful the vegetation was. We have drought conditions in Texas right now and it is like a different planet.

It's a shame you didn't make it here about two weeks from now. The trees are just starting to leaf out, and flowers are budding. Technically, this is a drought for us. We're something like 7 inches behind in rainfall so far. Of course, this is also when the pine and oak pollen hits with a vengance, so for about two weeks, all cars and streets are yellow. :)

I used to design software for flight simulators. It was a running joke, but also true, that if the simulator was set east of the Mississippi, you made the ground green, if it was west of the Mississippi, you made it brown.

Latest posts

Back