Harman Kardon Amp?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bignoyd

Hi everyone. I am a proud new comer to the Martin Logan club. I just purchased my first MLs 4 days ago (Mosaics in Mahogany finish) and I am debating which amplifier to purchase to power them.

My first choice would be a rotel 1068/1075 pre-pro. Second choice is Arcam AVR300. This is one fine receiver and sounds really good to me. I'd have to have an extended listening session to differentiate it from the rotel.

Lastly, the most convinient option for me is a HK Digital Path Receiver. I LOVE the way this thing looks, the footprint is small and I can pick one up for around a grand. Problem is no local dealer carries it so I cant audition it. I dont like the idea of blindly paying $1000 especially since I suspect it wont compare to my other options in terms of sound quality. Anyone had a chance to audition this receiver?

bignoyd said:
Hi everyone. I am a proud new comer to the Martin Logan club.
Welcome to the club. :D

I think that you will agree that we are all Martin Logan’s Gods and we will not steer you wrong.

Just Kidding, we try to do our best, but what it comes down to is this is your system and you are the one that has to enjoy it, so hopefully we can help you bring out the best in it.

I just purchased my first MLs 4 days ago (Mosaics in Mahogany finish) and I am debating which amplifier to purchase to power them.

My first choice would be a rotel 1068/1075 pre-pro. Second choice is Arcam AVR300. This is one fine receiver and sounds really good to me. I'd have to have an extended listening session to differentiate it from the rotel.
I like the look of HK gear, but am not a fan of HK’s sound, too artificial for my taste. The Rotel would be my first choice, the Arcam my 2nd. If you looking at Receivers I would take a look at Onkyo, I had a TX-DS787 and loved it, but it was a little too under powered for my Ascents.

Lastly, the most convinient option for me is a HK Digital Path Receiver. I LOVE the way this thing looks, the footprint is small and I can pick one up for around a grand. Problem is no local dealer carries it so I cant audition it. I dont like the idea of blindly paying $1000 especially since I suspect it wont compare to my other options in terms of sound quality. Anyone had a chance to audition this receiver?
I have auditioned a few HK’s but not that one, sorry.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
bignoyd,
Welcome:D
I have the Rotel 1068 processor and really like it a lot. At one time I had their RC 1070 preamp and their amp, the RB 1090. I too believe they are a great value for the money and I did like the sound.
Hope this helps a bit. If I can be of any more help just let me know.

Jeff :cool:

Out of the three I'd go with Rotel too.

HK sure looks great but... You want the sound to be great also.

amp decision

I too am a new member with a recent purchase of ML's(Vantage). I firmly believe in seperates as a general rule a receiver is fine for home theater but but limits you too much. Besides home theater receivers, the good ones, you can count on one hand their ability to do two channel music any justice.

My wishes exceeded my budget so I agreed with Jeff in that the Rotel RB-1090 is an excellent value, if you can swing it next for me was Bryston followed by Classe'(in order of $$$$). I audition all of them with my Vantage before purchase, if you could pick up a Classe' CA-301 at a good price it would be killer.

As far as pre-amp I'm an Audio-Research guy, the SP-16 is a great piece for the $$ so long as you can tolerate the dumb volume control(touch pad up & down switches). I have to see the glow of tubes somewhere in my system !!

Good Luck !

bignoyd said:
Hi everyone. I am a proud new comer to the Martin Logan club. I just purchased my first MLs 4 days ago (Mosaics in Mahogany finish) and I am debating which amplifier to purchase to power them.

Hola Bignoyd. Just keep in mind that your new Mosaics are easier to drive them with the ATF tech. than the electrostatic panel. The electrostatic panel is very difficult to drive, and this is why you can find a very good sounding amplifier with cone or ATF tech. and when you listen it with an electrostatic the sound is terrible. I think that the best for you is to make an audition at your own place. Try to demo it at your room. Choose the one that you like most, and forget the specs. All amplifiers are great these days with very good specs... Trust your ears!!! they will tell you which you sound you like most. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

twich54 said:
As far as pre-amp I'm an Audio-Research guy, the SP-16 is a great piece for the $$ so long as you can tolerate the dumb volume control(touch pad up & down switches).

Since I also own the SP-16, I would agree on great sound for the $$$ spent. Very musical sounding Pre Amp, especially compared to others out there at the same price. The only other Pre out there at the same price that I would now consider is probably the Modwright SE 9.0 - but I would need to hear it first in my system.

I also agree on the volume control for the SP-16...while the control is nice, it would have been great to implement smaller increments of volume especially at lower volumes - it just has too great a jump down there. But having the remote now is a must for me. The only time I need to get off my arse, is to change a disc :D

I recently tried some tube rolling in my SP-16 (was skeptical about this), but the new RCA's sound great and was a very nice improvement over the stock ARC Tubes (EH's).

But to answer the initial posters questions...you cannot always jump into that Porsche right away.....so see what pieces you may be able to audition at home and see what YOU think. Later on, like all of us here, you can purchase other seperate components for improvements. You stated that you really liked the Arcam....take it home and verify how it sounds there.

BTW, back years ago, HK used to make some great sounding stuff, but now I would not consider it as other companies recommended to you would be a better choice.

Dan

Thank you all...good to see how positive the attitude on this forums is. Very helpful advice and quick responses. I'll be bookmarking this site for sure :D

Latest posts

Back