Happy 30th Anniversary ~ conrad-johnson

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Wowers....

conrad-johnson just turned 30, in March. Where has the time gone?
It just seems like yesterday Jeff bought his CJ ~ Premier 17-LS... :D
I'm currently lusting after the CJ Premier 140 amplifier. In researching, I discovered that CJ just had their thirtieth anniversary.

:cheers: Congratulations conrad-johnson..., May you have another thirty years producing audio electronic gear as wonderful as the previous thirty years...

Here's the article I found:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/

:D Hip, Hip, Hooray!!! CJ

Robin,

To be exact I have had CJ preamps, the PV-10BL, Premier 17LS and now the Premier 17LS2.
The CT-5 is the replacement for the 17-LS2 and of course there is still the ACT-2 and the limited production ART but they are just way out of my price range.:eek:

Jeff:cool:

I'm currently lusting after the CJ Premier 140 amplifier.

Robin,

The CJ 140 is an absolutely awesome amplifier. It has a gorgeous midrange, with warmth and liquidity, extended highs that are silky smooth, and bass to rival many solid state amps. It also exhibits great pace, rythym and dynamics. It throws a huge soundstage, and will make your Martin Logans sing a beautiful song. If you ever want to audition it, just come on down to Alabama.

Thanks for the thread. GO C.J.!!!!! Thirty years of magical musical magnificance!

Premier 140 ~ Tubed Amplifier...

Robin,

The CJ 140 is an absolutely awesome amplifier. It has a gorgeous midrange, with warmth and liquidity, extended highs that are silky smooth, and bass to rival many solid state amps. It also exhibits great pace, rythym and dynamics. It throws a huge soundstage, and will make your Martin Logans sing a beautiful song. If you ever want to audition it, just come on down to Alabama.

Thanks for the thread. GO C.J.!!!!! Thirty years of magical musical magnificance!
Rich,

This is what I want in a tubed amplifier. The bass management will be powered i. e., Summits or Descent i... ;)
It's the highs and especially the mid-range which I want driving my future ML electrostatic panels, as you say, 'to sing a beautiful song' 'gorgeous midrange with warmth and liquidity, extended highs that are silky smooth'.... That is what I want... It is what I crave and have been searching for for lo' this many years now... :)

I think when it comes right down to it at this point in time, it's between CJ ~ (one) Premier 140 or (two) McIntosh MC275's, which are essencially the same price all used on Audiogon - about $6K... :)

Regarding the conrad-johnson Premier 140 ~ the only little things, which still concern me, and I just don't know if they are so big a deal, are:
1). It's Single Ended - RCA only - no Balanced in-puts, while the MC 275 has both unbal and Balanced in-puts.
2). It doesn't have volume control - in unbalanced opperation, like the MC 275 does.
Naturally, I could purchase a passive preamp for $1K - $2K or a smaller tubed CJ preamp for around the same amount, as a passive preamp but it would be then much more expensive than (two) McIntosh MC 275's with out preamp..., just to still give the same tubed sound I am looking for (as stated above)...

I guess it is all going to come down to the audition phase, which is as it should be...

I believe the latest version of the McIntosh 275 does not have the volume control. There really is no need for a volume control on an amp. It is just one more thing in the "line" which can color the sound.

As far as balanced cables, that is really an argument I would not want to start. Personally I think the difference in cost versus what you get is not worth the effort. Now if you are running 50 feet or more then maybe yes.

Jeff:cool:

The Sound...

Jeff,

I see what you are saying. Points taken... I think it is audition time. I really need to just hear CJ's products for myself. Let the smaller technical details go for now and just listen. My ears will deside. ;)

Thank you.

I think when it comes right down to it at this point in time, it's between CJ ~ (one) Premier 140 or (two) McIntosh MC275's, which are essencially the same price all used on Audiogon - about $6K... :)

Actually, Robin, if you buy used on the 'Gon, you can get a CJ 140 for under $4,000. There are two on there right now, one for $4,000 and one for $3,700. I got mine as a dealer demo for $3,500. I recommend you consider a C.J. pre to run with it. They have good synergy together. But I am sure there are lots of good options for preamps to match with it.

I have never had a problem not having the balanced inputs, but I have never used balanced cables. I was considering running balanced to the Pass Labs amp in my Home Theater setup just to see what the difference is.

I hope you get a chance to audition this wonderful amplifier. I think it will deliver exactly the goods you are looking for.

Back