Gunk on Summit panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereonerd

Reaction score
6 Bayly St, Baylys Beach, 0377, New Zealand
I've encountered an issue with my just-purchased supposedly 'new' Summits that I'm hoping someone might provide some advice on. My Summits were purportedly bought eight years ago and stored the whole time in their boxes, as the owner had moved into a too-small house to have them set up. So, I was expecting them to be perfect, but there's dust behind the panels and a few smudges on the woodwork and, it turns out, some STUFF lodged in the panels themselves. I hadn't noticed (I've got problems with my eyesight at the moment) until one speaker emitted the trademark ML "I've got dust in my holes" squeal. When I photographed and enlarged, I could see what looks like a powder. Could it be a kind of mould from being stored in a damp environment? And how would I remove the source of the problem? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• gunk1.png
    gunk1.png
    4 MB · Views: 60
Not sure what it is but you'll want to clean it off. I suggest with vacuum and cotton buds or toothpicks (very carefully). Try to scrape it off while holding the vacuum to suck it up so they don't fall between the panel and metal.

When I got my used EM ESL and washed throughly, the brownish residues remain on the film, it doesn't cover the entire film, kinda spotty like yours. I took a small zip tie and bend the front tip and tried to get between the stator and film scrap off the residues as much as I can. Then just cotton buds with water try to clean up as much as I can.

As for the vacuum method I will reiterate what I said long ago, when using a brush get one that is made from horsehair that attaches to the end of your wand. IMO it does a better job than synthetic / nylon bristles and is less of a static problem

Try a soft bristle brush and vacuuming while observing with your magnifying glasses. Go over all the horizontal spars, esp on the front as they collect dirt.

Back