guilty pleasure recording

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
we all have them, the albums we sneak a listen to when noone else is around. mybe it's a great recording of questionable music, maybe it's a blast from the past, maybe you don't give a damn that others give you that look when you slide this into the system...

for me:

muppet album - not often, but it's just fun
Cybil Shepard Mad About The Boy - don't ask.
Willie Nelson, Stardust - really well recorded.

zaphod said:
muppet album - not often, but it's just fun
I played that one for a girl I was dating. I happened to be cleaning some LP's that I picked up when my mom moved into a condo (from the old house). My date saw it and said "what's that? I played it - guess she had fun making fun of me. I had/have good memories of playing that LP for my little sister - introducing her to stereo listening.

I play some terrible very early David Jones/David Bowie stuff just for the mood it places me in - feel like I'm five years old and it's 1965. :)

L'Trim CD title "Cars that go BOOM"

I used to play that in my old car audio days in IASCA competitions (late 80's....) I still play it once and a while to get them bass frequencies out of me and the system. Shakes the hell out of the room and the whole house :D

OMG, that is so funny... I remember "cars that go boom." I would love to try that one out for sure.

"Sound of Music" for me. I'll have to think of some others.

Swensen

I have just buyed new stators(panel) too my CLS I.
The differens is incredible.
With the Dept sub i think they play bether than Prodigy.

changing the panels in CLS

swensen said:
I have just buyed new stators(panel) too my CLS I.

did you change the panels you self? there are a few of us here (Jeff, me) who are scared of removing the panels from the wood frame.

any experience you can share in doing this would be appreciated.

secondly, did you get panels with the spacers arranged the same way as your CLS or in the newer CLSII arrangement.

thanks

Carpenters - The Singles (SACD) Yeah, I know it is a new album. While it is cheesy music, the quality of the SACD is outstanding - especially for an older recording. Trouble is I can only listen to it for so long, then off it goes...

When in that mellow mood, Sunday morning, etc., I have some Yanni....

At other times, some Celtic music is entertaining, but I will get some looks from people....

Most of my collection is newer Jazz, some Rock, and lately, more and more Classical.

Two of the latest Classical that I picked up are: Living Stereo - Sheherezade, and City Scape - Jennifer Higdon. Sheherezade is a great album for my noob classical tastes. The Higdon is too disjointed for me - no real flow to the music IMHO - seems like it goes all over the place.

Dan

Last edited:
zaphod said:
we all have them, the albums we sneak a listen to when noone else is around. mybe it's a great recording of questionable music, maybe it's a blast from the past, maybe you don't give a damn that others give you that look when you slide this into the system...
Well, I'm listening right now to a winner, a recording that meets all three conditions: Christmas by Mannheim Steamroller on LP ! :D

Like the Densen pub says, "Life is too short for boring Hi-Fi!"

Kaliar you seem to have an amazing selection, I mean that by what you have listed in the desert cd topic...very diverse. How many cd's do you currently own?

I will definitely check out some of the others you had listed.

SugarMedia said:
Kaliar you seem to have an amazing selection, I mean that by what you have listed in the desert cd topic...very diverse. How many cd's do you currently own?

I will definitely check out some of the others you had listed.
Not that much, compared to others and even to my kids. :eek: I have approximately 1500 recordings (~500 CDs, ~600 LPs and ~400 on cassettes). My two kids have more than 800 CDs each !!

SugarMedia said:
OMG, that is so funny... I remember "cars that go boom." I would love to try that one out for sure.

"Sound of Music" for me. I'll have to think of some others.

The Telarc CD "Bachbusters" is another boom CD for bass playback torture :D

Actually the IASCA test CD is a great tool for sound quality testing. The glory days of car audio is gone replaced by max SPL and boom systems :(

When I auditioned my ML's I made a cd, which contained "Too Shorts- Life is Too short" and Beastie Boys- Brass Monkey, after getting through the classical recordings and it came to these songs you should've seen the looks on some of the older people in the store.

BTW- just downloaded "Cars that go boom" for old time sake...I forgot how bad it was, but that bass sure is low.

DTB -
If you're getting into classical and you liked Sheherezade, many of the "Living Stereo" RCAs (those that start with LSC) are usually great recordings. These are available on cd reissues and on new vinyl. The vinyl copies are produced by Classic Records and their quality is terrific. You may wish to pick up Tschaikovsky's Violin Concerto (Heifetz on violin) - a guilty pleasure of mine - (on cd or lp) and see what you think.

zaphod said:

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Do you feel like I do?

The Jackson Five "Greatest Hits" and Michael Jackson "Thriller."

aliveatfive said:
DTB -
If you're getting into classical and you liked Sheherezade, many of the "Living Stereo" RCAs (those that start with LSC) are usually great recordings. These are available on cd reissues and on new vinyl. The vinyl copies are produced by Classic Records and their quality is terrific. You may wish to pick up Tschaikovsky's Violin Concerto (Heifetz on violin) - a guilty pleasure of mine - (on cd or lp) and see what you think.

Thanks for the info. The Sheherezade is a SACD, three-channel version and I really like it. I have yet to listen to the second part - Stravinsky - Song of the Nightengale.

The only problem so far that I have with classical, is I cannot get into any of them with vocals. I have found that I like the Baroque era the best - Telemann being my favorite, but I have found other composers that I like too.

Rhapsody Streaming Audio has helped me in my search for classical that I like.

Dan

Sky Saw said:
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Do you feel like I do?

Dude, you need to be PROUD of being into Frampton Comes Alive!! GREAT album!

Here's mine: Partridge Family Greatest Hits.

Tell anyone and you die!

TomDac said:
Dude, you need to be PROUD of being into Frampton Comes Alive!! GREAT album!
I might have that one, time to do some steam cleaning (best way to clean vinyl) - think it was the wife's old stuff.

Back