Grotto?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
I have the ML Aerius, which I bought back in the early '90s. I'm using the Krell KAV400i to power them. All of my current listening is two channel and relatively nearfield, since my listening room is small. (I will have a much larger listening room when I move back to Texas.) Recently, I've been thinking about adding a subwoofer and one that interests me is the ML Grotto. What I'd like to know are your opinions regarding subwoofers in general and the Grotto vs other ML subs in particular.

Also, I'd like to comment that I've been reading quite a few posts on this site and really enjoy it. Thanks in advance for your replies. - Steve

Since no one has responded, I will give it a shot. There are two better subs in the ML line (Descent and Depth), but the Grotto gives you a servo sub with plenty of low frequency grunt. The 25 hz boost/cut control is a wonderful tool for most rooms. For a music system in a room of around 2000 cubic feet or less, the Grotto should be wonderful for music and movies. It also holds its value well if you decide later to move up the line.

slowGEEZR,
I think the Grotto is a fine sub too but with all things considered you may want to look at the Depth. Of course this depends on the money you have to spend. The Grotto can be turned on its side too which is a nice option for placement. I have the Depth and it has proven to work very well with 2 channel music and home theater.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff :cool:

First of all, I have been told my room is a black hole for bass frequencies. At first I installed the Depth by itself with my Ascents. I was not overly impressed after trying most of the tricks in the book including recommendations by ML itself. I then added the Grotto half way up the opposite wall and WOW! The bass really came alive with the Grotto working with the Depth. I have since added the Velodyne SMS-1 and the two sound even better.

I highly recommend the Grotto.

It has a lot to do with your room but IMHO the grotto is not worth the $$$. move up the line or look at some other brands. I know I am some what alone on this on this site but I am not a big fan of ML subs for the $$

TDUB How do you like the SMS-1, I am thinking about adding one?

I listened to the Dynamo ($599) and Grotto ($995) at my local Tweeter with same receiver (I believe it was Yammie Rxv 4600) and thought the Dynamo sounded pretty close to the Grotto, but at nearly half the price. The one thing I didn't like about the Dynamo is that to make it forward firing (my preference), the controls and hook-up are at the bottom of the sub. The Grotto may sound tighter for 2-channel setups due to servo.

Good luck.

Khanhrad said:
The one thing I didn't like about the Dynamo is that to make it forward firing (my preference), the controls and hook-up are at the bottom of the sub. The Grotto may sound tighter for 2-channel setups due to servo.

Good luck.

Sure they did.

The Dynamo is a very flexible speaker that can be used as a down firing or front firing speaker.

Quote from MartinLogan.com
MartinLogan.com said:
Variable low-pass and phase controls enable you to custom tailor performance to any listening environment. The Dynamo excels in all installation configurations including in corners, underneath or behind furniture, and quickly transforms from a down firing to front firing configuration for installation inside of a cabinet.

Taz said:
It has a lot to do with your room but IMHO the grotto is not worth the $$$. move up the line or look at some other brands. I know I am some what alone on this on this site but I am not a big fan of ML subs for the $$

TDUB How do you like the SMS-1, I am thinking about adding one?
There are other servo-based subs out there to consider if you do not want to go with ML.

The addition of the SMS-1 with any sub is a "great" addition. One of the best cost vs performance pieces I have added to my system.

Dan

TAZ

The SMS-1 was one of the best additions I have made to my system since replacing my previous setup a few years ago and going to all ML speakers & subs and McIntosh amps. I highly recommend the SMS-1.

It seems like the SMS-1 would be a very wise thing to have, if one has a sub. It seems I could get a better overall effect if I purchased a less expensive sub and the SMS-1, rather than putting all the money into a sub.

Latest posts

Back