Grotto Setting Recommendation?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

output555

Reaction score
I just hooked up my new Grotto with my Ascents and was wondering if anyone can make some fine tuning recommendations.

The manual says set the Level to 5 (12 o'clock), the Low Pass Filter at 30Hz (70% of 35Hz: the low end of an Ascent's frequency response), the 25Hz Level at 0 and the Phase switch at 90 degrees for starters.

Placed in the left corner of my 21 x 14 x 9 room this initial set up seems OK, if not great. Perhaps a wee too much thump is anything.

What should I focus on first to dial-in the best setting? Seems like there are a lot of options and it's hard to know if one adjustment is going to screw up another.

Thanks!

output555,
The first thing I would do us understand that the manual is just a starting point. LIsten to different music with different "bass" frequencies. If you like the sound as set, leave it.
If not, I would look at the low pass filter and make sure it is where you like it. Then I would move down in setting to see what it is adding to the Ascents and then back and then beyond where it is currently set. This will tell you what you like and where to set it. This will basically "dial it in" and then set it by ear to the best setting you prefer.

I would then look at the phase and would first change the phase to 180 and see if that makes a positive change, negative change or no difference at all. I would suspect you will hear something and again go 90 degrees in the other direction for comparison.

I would then try the 25Hz adjustment setting. Change that to a positive attribute and listen if it is too much or "thick" sounding or too boomy on certain frequencies on the lower end. Try it again at 0 and then move it to a negative setting a listen for the difference.
Get the procedure :D .

Ignore the original settings from the manual except as a starting point and write down what you have and then experiment. It will not be so daunting and enjoyable. You may find in a few days or weeks you change or fine tune it again. :eek:

Remember this is supposed to be fun. :rolleyes:

Jeff :cool:

Thanks, Jeff. As always great advice. I'll give all of your suggestions a shot.

Back