Greetings from Romania

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Quichotte

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm the proud owner of a pair of Martin Logan Classic ESL 9 speakers, bought new less than a year ago, driven by an Audio Analogue Maestro Anniversary integrated amp. These are my first serious loudspeakers but I'm a long time user of Stax electrostatic headphones.

Musical preferences include mainly classical, contemporary / ethnic jazz (ECM style), progressive rock and a bit of electronic music.

Piano is my preferred instrument and the correct reproduction of the piano timbre is of paramount importance for me. In general, tone, timbre, wide soundstage and relaxed, effortless dynamics are the things I care most for in terms of audio reproduction - think about them as dynamic contrasts: chromatic dynamics (wood instruments are very woody, metallic is clearly metallic, bright is truly shinny and dark is pitch dark), spatial dynamics (left and right are far apart) and amplitude dynamics (the "suddenness" in every attack, ability to play with delicacy at times and sheer power at other times). Most of all, I seem to be very sensitive to the most subtle tonal nuances which makes me a very picky audiophile - on the other hand, I don't perceive very well the precision of the imaging, for example.

My most striking experience with my current speakers relates to their utmost sensitivity to placement and room. I had read about it before, I had been warned, but nothing could prepare me for the huge sonic impact brought about by a few absorbing pillows on the front wall or by modifying the rake angle by what is certainly less than 1 degree.

Welcome. As for piano - it is one of my favourites too. And there is nothing that can reproduce piano as well as an ES panel :)

Back