Got the visit of Bernard.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you try listening? Takes less time than to visit that website and type out that post

Fair enough point. Problem is, I think I am just too prejudiced to hear a difference - even if there was one :)

People just listened to green pen treated CDs and swore they made a huge difference. Whatever happened to that tweak?

Maybe one day.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the green ink? Its still available. http://www.amazon.com/AudioPrism-AUDIOPRISM-CD-STOPLIGHT/dp/B00OU5C4VY

I remember that the technology was that the CDs are like small mirrors, and some of the laser beam was projected back from the sides of the CDs, and this spurious signal returned to the optical lens, making to read odd things. The green color is opposed to the red color laser beam, like the black color is opposed to white color for our eyes. I have it, but the truth, I could not listen a difference...also, perhaps my ears are not that good. Happy listening my friend!

Pura Vida! Glad you guys got together, thanks for the write-ups, enjoyed reading them!

Jonathan, whenever you are around, mi casa es tu casa, mae!!! Please keep my phone number and just call me. 8888-4363. I live near Construplaza, Guachipelin. Abrazo!!!!

Amey, read this, and tell us what do you think. When I did read this, they convinced me, and their technology speaks as a high pride for them...

I had the U-link, and did change it for the Ref Link. The change was like a night and day difference...

http://www.belcantodesign.com/pdfs/WP_clocks_measure.pdf

Yes, I agree with everything written in here Roberto.

Although what I will say is that these Bel Canto products are exactly the same circuit (functionally - least not literally) as the USB input contained within a DAC.

By that, I mean that the BelCanto Ref Link could be contained within the box of the DAC, and the DAC would be called a USB DAC.

If the Bel Canto RefLink happens to be a better circuit than the one inside your M-DAC then you will hear an improvement for sure - like you actually do :)

But that does not have to or necessarily always be the case.

amey, I have friends that have different DACs, and now are using the Ref Link. Specially if you like to listen Youtube. It really helps to improve the bad sound. When everything is neat, the Ref Link is doing nothing. But, as you do know, computer music comes with a lot of annoying noise, I do not know why. And the Ref Link cleans all the garbage, it really works, no matter of what kind of DAC you do have.

One friend is using the Big 7 Lampizator DAC and he is using a different USB kind. He is a Mac freak. He has most of his music in hi-rez. He is a wealthy person, and his preamp and power amp are Conrad Johnson. He has a pair of the big BF-212 matched with his CLXs...and he did not want to try the Ref Link. I told him that it was a big favor for me, because I did not have all the goods that he has in his system, and the product was for me, not for him. Saying this, he stated again, that he had a totally different approach with the USB, but OK.

We started to listen the Ref Link, with a Transparent digital Coax, from the Reference Link to the DAC, and a USB from the computer to the Ref Link. He bought three Ref Link units, one for him, another for his son and another for his father in Law.

When the recording is a HI-Rez, like DSD, you do not need it. But when there is a lot of digital garbage, its a must. It really filters the crap. And also, I do not know why, improves the stage. Its well built, and very easy to intall. I do like the product my friend.

Roberto, based upon the comparison we did at your place, I will buy a REFLink once I have the funds after I buy the Mac Mini. Too bad I can't afford it right now as there is a used one for sale in Toronto.

Visiting you is bad for my wallet. :)

Roberto, based upon the comparison we did at your place, I will buy a REFLink once I have the funds after I buy the Mac Mini. Too bad I can't afford it right now as there is a used one for sale in Toronto.

Visiting you is bad for my wallet. :)

You need the Ref link on SPDIF, not USB. So if you have a dac with a good USB you won't need to worry about SPDIF (you can't play DSD on SPDIF anyway), and just get a nice USB cable

You need the Ref link on SPDIF, not USB. So if you have a dac with a good USB you won't need to worry about SPDIF (you can't play DSD on SPDIF anyway), and just get a nice USB cable
I am aware of that. My comment was based upon comparing Mac>USB>DAC against Mac>USB>Reflink>SPDIF>DAC. The config with the REFLink sounded better (the improvement was obvious). I am also aware that the results could well be overturned if I instead used something like a Lampizator DAC, with which I think you may be familiar :)

Buying a Lampizator is not an option for me, currently. In any case, I'm more into enjoying the music than listening critically while eating my DSD (and other TLA and FLA) alphabet soup.

Last edited:
I am well aware of that. My comment was based upon comparing Mac>USB>DAC against Mac>USB>Reflink>SPDIF>DAC. The config with the REFLink sounded better (the improvement was obvious). I am also aware that the results could well be overturned if I instead used something like a Lampizator DAC, which I think you're familiar with. :)

Buying a Lampizator is not an option for me, currently. In any case, I'm more into enjoying the music than listening critically while eating my DSD (and other TLA and FLA) alphabet soup.

try Chord Hugo. haven't heard it, but supposed to be really good and pretty cheap, used price will be great

try Chord Hugo. haven't heard it, but supposed to be really good and pretty cheap, used price will be great
Hugo cheap? The cheapest used one I see is $1,600, whereas I paid $600 for my used MDAC. In any case, I'm not into constantly swapping equipment; therein lies madness.

When reading reviews before buying my MDAC, I read one that claimed that the Chord (not Justin's favourite brand) Qute sounded better through SPDIF than USB.

Hugo cheap? The cheapest used one I see is $1,600, whereas I paid $600 for my used MDAC. In any case, I'm not into constantly swapping equipment; therein lies madness.

When reading reviews before buying my MDAC, I read one that claimed that the Chord (not Justin's favourite brand) Qute sounded better through SPDIF than USB.

Possible. There is also something for USB now called Uptone Regen that makes USB sound better, at $175. Haven't tried it yet.

Justin has high standards. He has a Porsche, an expensive coffee maker, and his own spec'd speakers. Best not to compare

Possible. There is also something for USB now called Uptone Regen that makes USB sound better, at $175. Haven't tried it yet.

Justin has high standards. He has a Porsche, an expensive coffee maker, and his own spec'd speakers. Best not to compare
I know better than to compare (with Justin, or anyone else). I was simply stating that Justin does not like Chord products.

Who is this Justin guy? I'd like to meet him. Own spec'd speakers? Do you think he knew what he was doing when he spec'd them? I sincerely doubt it:)

Back