Gooey paint on Sequel IIs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuckley

Reaction score
My much loved Sequels have developed softened paint over the years- you can drag your fingernail through it and leave a mark. I called Jim Powers and he said they had some bad paint back then and he recommended disassembling the speakers, stripping them and repainting them. However, he didn't have any specific recommendations as far as which strippers or types of paint would work best. Has anyone already been through this?

Sequel II subwoofer black housing paint has become gooey?

Spuckley,

I have the same issue with the paint on my Sequel II's (paint has become gooey). Any progress with your speakers?

In reading a review (link below) it seems that the paint used on the Sequel II's was a Nextel finish (?) and with the introduction of the SL3 Martin Logan moved to a waterbased coating.

(www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/145/index1.html)

If anyone has advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sequel II

I'm still scratching my head. What do you know about this Nextel stuff? I'm wondering what would be the best stripper to use on it.

I would contact Jim Power at ML. He and I had the same discussion regarding my Sequel II's and he suggested to strip them too and did warn me about the Nextel being toxic. I have stopped the "sticky" a bit but using a cleaner like 409 first and then I actually used a very light "orange oil" afterwards. This is the same "orange oil" I used on the wood.

I am not saying the is the fix but it did help for me.

Jeff :cool:

Back