Goodbye Sequel II...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas42

Reaction score
But helloooo SL3!!! I recently acquired a pair of Sequel IIs with a nice McIntosh MC-7300 amplifier. Although the Sequels had been upgraded with SL3 panels, they had that crappy nextel finish that was really a pain to work with so out the door they went. This was about a month ago. Fast forward to this weekend where I was fortunate enough to find a pair of near mint SL3s and a Cinema center channel locally. I traded the gentleman a pair of Energy Veritas 2.3i speakers and a Klipsch RC-62 center channel as an even swap as he wanted something smaller. Needless to say, I'm a very happy camper and think these will replace my venerable Klipsch LaScalas as my mains speakers in my HT setup. I haven't really spent any time getting them truly dialed in yet but they already sound better than the sequels did and the center is really articulate (and will be even better once I pick up a bracket/stand for it to be swivelled up about 30 degrees). The Mac amp really seems to mate well with the MLs.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,304
But helloooo SL3!!! I recently acquired a pair of Sequel IIs with a nice McIntosh MC-7300 amplifier. Although the Sequels had been upgraded with SL3 panels, they had that crappy nextel finish that was really a pain to work with so out the door they went. This was about a month ago. Fast forward to this weekend where I was fortunate enough to find a pair of near mint SL3s and a Cinema center channel locally. I traded the gentleman a pair of Energy Veritas 2.3i speakers and a Klipsch RC-62 center channel as an even swap as he wanted something smaller. Needless to say, I'm a very happy camper and think these will replace my venerable Klipsch LaScalas as my mains speakers in my HT setup. I haven't really spent any time getting them truly dialed in yet but they already sound better than the sequels did and the center is really articulate (and will be even better once I pick up a bracket/stand for it to be swivelled up about 30 degrees). The Mac amp really seems to mate well with the MLs.

Hola and congratulations with your new SL-3s. They are capable to give outstanding image and great instruments size. The Sequel II had a little hole between the woofer and panel integration, to my ears and liking. Of course, the Sequel II are great speakers with the same size of panels than the SL-3s. Again, to my ears, the size of the vocals are more evident with them. The 3 dimensional sound stage, the air between instruments are part of them too. SL-3s are a classic. Easy to drive, and easier to set up. Better integration with the panel-woofer, they are one of the best singing models the ML has to my ears and liking. Some of you could say I am crazy, and perhaps you are right!...but I lived with them so many good sounding years that I still do have a crush with them (lol). Very musical, right with the size of the musical instruments, and one of my best choice for piano players...the left hand is so evident and easy to listen too...I do wish you a very happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
good luck w/those !!
I went the opposite, SL3 > SQ2.
I like the sound of the sequals better. :rolleyes:

Hola and congratulations with your new SL-3s. They are capable to give outstanding image and great instruments size. The Sequel II had a little hole between the woofer and panel integration, to my ears and liking. Of course, the Sequel II are great speakers with the same size of panels than the SL-3s. Again, to my ears, the size of the vocals are more evident with them. The 3 dimensional sound stage, the air between instruments are part of them too. SL-3s are a classic. Easy to drive, and easier to set up. Better integration with the panel-woofer, they are one of the best singing models the ML has to my ears and liking. Somo of you could say I am crazy, and perhaps you are right!...but I lived with them so many good sounding years that I still do have a crush with them (lol). Very musical, right with the size of the musical instruments, and one of my best choice for piano players...the left hand is so evident and easy to listen too...I do wish you a very happy listening,
Roberto.
I have a pair from 2000 (late pair) and I love them. Wouldn't trade them for any other model.:D

Is that amp getting enough ventilation?

Yes, it is well ventilated from the back and sides and there is a small bit of space above the cabinet of the amp. As I never push it hard to begin with it rarely even gets warm to the touch. Maybe not the 'best' type of setup, but I'm really limited on space (as you can see) which required putting the amp and center on the floor.

Back