Good tuner amplifier for ML Aeon i speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

A eisendrath

I know that this is heresy for me to ask this, but I'm seriously considering buying a pair of Aeon i speakers and am willing to upgrade my integrated tuner amp (from my old NAD 7420), and wondered if it is possible to replace it with just a higher end integrated tuner/amp. I would prefer not to have a separate amplifier. Are there some tuner/amps that would be adequate to get good performance from the Aeons? I appreciate your advice....

A eisendrath said:
I know that this is heresy for me to ask this, but I'm seriously considering buying a pair of Aeon i speakers and am willing to upgrade my integrated tuner amp (from my old NAD 7420), and wondered if it is possible to replace it with just a higher end integrated tuner/amp. I would prefer not to have a separate amplifier. Are there some tuner/amps that would be adequate to get good performance from the Aeons? I appreciate your advice....

from my limited experience over the past month or so...

the Aeon's are rated at 4 ohms --> 1 ohm at high freqs, so you need a lot of power (current) to drive them without clipping. you're probably OK with something in the 120W range if you don't blast your audio, but they'll clip at higher audio levels. i'd guess you'd want a minimum of 170W/ch to drive those Aeons to their full potential. at that point, you're either looking at $5K for an integrated (like a Denon 5805) or $4K Marantz. or you can go the 1 - 2K "preamp receiver route" and pair it up to a decent power amp.

i'm using a Denon 4806 to drive my system (#106), but i opted to bi-amp my Aeons with a Sunfire amp. the Sunfire puts out 200W/ch; the Denon claims 140W but i don't quite believe it. I paid around $2800 or so for the Sunfire if i recall correctly.

i've used a Denon 3806 ($2K less than the 4806) combined with the sunfire with pretty good results in the recent past. it's sitting in my garage as i ponder a "lesser" HT setup in the future....

Jim Lippert
Fremont CA
System #106

Of course

You could also look at www.meridian-audio.com

You'll find the G51 receiver is more than up to the job and delivers sound quality to rival most pre/power combos. It's certainly capable of driving most MLs, and can always be bi-amped using the G56 power amp later on if you want to. The great thing about this combo is that the G51 uses the same power amplifiers as the G56 so you'll get a perfect match in the bi-amp configuration.

Cheers,

David
:)

Jim thanks for your helpful information. I'm really just a Baroque opera nut and know little about stereo equipment, so I appreciate it. I noted some reasonably priced (for me that means $1 to $2k) Denon AVR 5800 series units on Audiogon. Would a 5800 or 5803 work? I also saw a Rotel RSX 1067. Is that likely to work? Finally, which Marantz models are likely to be adequate with these speakers? Thanks much for your help.

NAD always received good reviews in the audiophile press. Why not try your current receiver first before shelling out the bucks? It just might be fine. If not, replace away!

A eisendrath said:
Jim thanks for your helpful information. I'm really just a Baroque opera nut and know little about stereo equipment, so I appreciate it. I noted some reasonably priced (for me that means $1 to $2k) Denon AVR 5800 series units on Audiogon. Would a 5800 or 5803 work? I also saw a Rotel RSX 1067. Is that likely to work? Finally, which Marantz models are likely to be adequate with these speakers? Thanks much for your help.

sure, those older Denon's have the juice to drive your speakers. they claim 170W at 8 ohms, so you ought to be able to get 200W out of them for your lower impedance speakers. i took a hard look at the Marantz 9600 series along with the Denon 4806 (they're roughly equal), but again... i'm driving my Aeon i's through a separate amp and it's needed for my usage.

Rotel and NAD stuff also have gotten great reviews. i went the Denon route for video switching in addition to audio -- if your needs are just for listening, you can certainly go other routes that are cheaper. or as has been suggested elsewhere, try out your current stuff first and see if your ears like it. if so, you don't need to spend anything :). From my experience, classical and jazz music can really stretch the limits of audio equipment due to the complexity of the music. but trust your ears over mine.

Jim Lippert
Fremont CA

A eisendrath said:

I find Gene Della Sala's reviews and tests of amplifiers on Audiohaulics to be some of the most rigorous out there-- here's the one they did on the AVR 5803:Denon AVR 5803

The question is whether the low 1-4 ohm demands of the Aeon's will negatively affect these units (overheating, clamp down, etc). They certainly appear to be one of the best built AV receivers out there, but testing is everything for sure. I have wondered about these Denon models, as you can get some killer priced new B Stock units from one of their authorized online dealers Here

I have been well pleased with the NAD's and my Aeon i's, and I picked up a set brand new right at $2K. They deliver plenty of clean horsepower and great sound at all volumes.

Last edited:
A eisendrath said:

I have some friends using these with their Maggies:

Music Hall Maven
Power output: 100-watts-per-channel x 2
Minimal impedance: 2 ohm

MH at audio advisor
maven.jpg

Vincent Audio

Now I'm considering the Krell KAV 400 xi

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to check Stereophile's equipment reviews, and noted that Krell has an integrated receiver/amp called the KAV 400 xi. The review was quite positive, and it's priced retail at $2500, which I suspect I could afford. Any opinions on this matched with the Aeon speakers?

A eisendrath said:
Thanks for all the advice. I decided to check Stereophile's equipment reviews, and noted that Krell has an integrated receiver/amp called the KAV 400 xi. The review was quite positive, and it's priced retail at $2500, which I suspect I could afford. Any opinions on this matched with the Aeon speakers?

The 400xi is an integrated amp - you will need to add a tuner for radio reception.

Kevin

A eisendrath said:

I myself am NOT a fan of this piece, when listening to it driving a pair of Summitt's it gave me the initial Wow !!! but within 15 min. it started to fatigue me. Personally I think for the money one can do much better with some nice used gear on the "Gon", maybe a Rotel amp paired up with a nice CJ or ARC pre-amp. That would be done easily for $2500 or less.

Good Luck !!

Latest posts

Back