Good amplifier for ML Quest or Quest Z

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adri

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently am looking for a new AMP to drive my ML Quests.
I have a choice of Bryston 4B-SST, Classe CA-301 or Krell FPB-300.
All should be able to drive the Quests without problems I think, but does anyone have experience with one or more of these amps?
Since all the amps they are second hand offers, it will be difficult to listen to them before purchasing.

Thanks,

Adri.

Adri said:
Hi,

I currently am looking for a new AMP to drive my ML Quests.
I have a choice of Bryston 4B-SST, Classe CA-301 or Krell FPB-300.
All should be able to drive the Quests without problems I think, but does anyone have experience with one or more of these amps?
Since all the amps they are second hand offers, it will be difficult to listen to them before purchasing.

Thanks,

Adri.
Hola Adri. All of them are great amps. But to my liking, I would get first the Classe CA-301. To my ears, this amp has the best mid-range and very good bass and highs. The scenario, and the timbre of the instruments is very good... The second choice is the Bryston 4B. This amp has great bass and it is very clean, and very dymanic. The scenario is good bus has a very SS sound. With the Krell, you have to be very careful to match it with the right preamp. It´s the best driving the bass, but takes a lot of effort to get the right image and scenario. It is very dymanic, but it is like a big horse, needs to be learn how to drive it. Also, to my ears and in my system, lacks the "air" between instruments as the Classe has. You have selected very good sounding amps...I think that you would be very happy with any of them. This is my personal taste, and also what I got with them was in my system and in my room. It depends a lot of how do you like your sound. All of them have enough power to drive any ML with outstanding clarity and transparency. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
I run the Krell fpb300c and love it !!! It has endless power and is very dynamic, I do not use a pre amp and run the amp into a Theta Miles balanced unit and like it a lot (one less component to mud things up) . The Krell is a defined sound and needs good cabling combos , the bass is tight and defined , Quests and ReQuests need a big room to shine as the will feel cramped and not bloom like they should .(they will sound OK in a small room but, they shine in larger rooms ) I ran them with a Sunfire prior to the Krell and was happy also, it was a warm sound laid back kind of very listenable (especially if you like tubes ) The classe amps are good amps too , a relaxed nice neutral amp that wont color things up with artificialness.

I am using the 4bsst to drive my prodigies. It does a flawless job and with a 20 year transferable warranty you really cant go wrong.
These hold up on the used market very well, so while you really can't "demo"
it you won't lose much if you decide you don't like it. Good Luck.

I ended up buying a Krell FPB-400cx and it's a very nice combination.
Rich, deep, yet very tight and controlled bass.
Also very detailed soundstage and excellent mid-range.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Adri.

atta boy put some current to them babies, and listen to them sing!! :D

Back