Going to audition the Wilsons today.... let's see how the Summits compare!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Yup.... finally, after months of waiting, I'm going with another audiophile friend to Glenn Poor, a ritzy audio boutique on Michigan Ave (Chicago's Magnificent Mile) for an hour or so of pure Wilson.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the Wilson speakers can muster when powered with some $30K Halcro amps. I would love to have my idea of high-end audio challenged, we'll see. Always keep an open mind, right?

I wouldnt mind listening to some of the Avant Garde stuff they sell either, those are pretty expensive.

I'm going to bring in my demo cds and putting their Wilsons and AGs through their paces. I want to see what the hoopla is all about. If they are truly as stunning as everyone says they are, then.... I'll keep my mouth shut.

Anyway, I dont expect the Summits to be bested, though maybe my system in its current configuration may not be up to par against what they have setup at 5x the cost or more, I know I'm barely scratching the surface of my Summit's potential.

You know what I'm going to be looking for, Vocal Focus. Let's see it... bring on the Wilsons.

I'll post my thoughts after the audition.

I know there's atleast one member here who is interested in the Summit vs Sophia.... I'll do my best to convey what I think.

Night.

I can't wait for the "I sold my summits and now buying Wilson" thread. ;)

Well I had some time today to sit down with our Sophias (we are remodelling a room and had to move them out to the lobby in a less than optimal arrangement). Headed by a Krell SACD Standard ( i could NOT live with this turtle of a machine...hehehe), KAV-280P, and Showcase amplifier, I threw in some tunes and just relaxed and listened. It wasnt a comparison or critical listening....but it was very enjoyable.

I even threw on some vinyl....always worth the extra effort in my opinion. :)

I am curious to hear Joey's remarks. I dont have the Summit to compare too, but I am still thinking it would be a tough decision to have to choose between the 2.

I have listened to the Wilson's watt7 or the newest ones in Idaho at a high end stereo shop. They did sound good; however they were wit the best audio equipment $ can buy Krell mono blocks and Transparent Audio cables . I went home wit their demo disc and compared this. I was really amazed at what I heard. Smooth and vocal , not voicy and broad to impress you. Nothing has the mid range and soft top like a properly tuned Logan system. The newer panels are great but the real big sound is in a big older panel with great power and control.

COME ON WILSON. I DARE YA ! :eek: ..................... :D

When were you in my store? :) I am in installer at that shop. :) Our room sucks, even for the Wilsons. :( But it is in the process of getting remodelled.

My opinion is that comparing anything to an electrostat is nearly comparing apples to oranges. The Wilsons are by far the best sounding non-ESL speaker I have heard to date. The MAXX II has all the great qualities of the Watt/Puppy but on such a larger scale. I can only imagine how much more the X2 would add to the experience.

But there is that air and as you say "soft top end".....I think image presence is also a pinnacle acheivement of a properly set up Logan rig. The Wilsons can throw a huge deep stage and place images with pinpoint accuracy. But something about how the Logans present the same accuracy is almost "surreal". Its lovey to say the least.

Thus, when I say it would be a difficult choice between Wilson Sophia and Summit, I mean that it is choosing between 2 elite performers. Either choice will net me the sonic bliss I desire....they just are 2 completely different entities each bringing its own attributes to the table. There is no wrong choice there.

Its much easier to pick between good and evil than it is to pick between good and good.

My 2 most enjoyable listening experiences have been very different in presentation, yet equal in my emotion and passion. One was when John from Wilson came up to set up the first pair of Watt/Puppies we got on the floor. After spending a couple hours with John in our troublesome room, and learning a ton about how they interact with the room, and so forth, I got to spend some time alone just listening. At this time, it was the Krell KCT preamp, Krell FPB 350MC monoblocks, and Kell KPS28c (?) player. We came to the conclusion that the balanced connection sounded "better" than the CAST. I could hear the difference, but not as pronounced as John seemed to. All I know, was once I was alone in that room, it was magic. Those speakers are just so spot on in every sense. The dynamics is what gets me the most. They are so agile and precise. I could use a bunch of words that wouldnt describe the experience, but its enough for me to just say WOW.

The second experience was an early morning meeting with the owner of the store. He has been in audio since high school and had worked at the shop he now owns since college. He brought us in just to experience something a lot of use hadnt had the chance to. We set up the Prodigies with the Musical Fidelity TriVista hybrid integrated amp, and a Pro-Ject turntable (I dont recall which one). We put on some really well recorded and produced LPs and just enjoyed it. Again, WOW is all I could come up with. Thats where I came up with the equation that Martin Logan + tubes + vinyl = heaven. :)

This is Joey's thread. I return it to him now. hehe.

Alright, I did my review... I'm going to bed. That took over an hour! Geez.... I should have better things to do at 3am.... ;) .

I'm becoming a bit delirious now.... need sleep.

Audiophiliac said:
When were you in my store? :) I am in installer at that shop. :) Our room sucks, even for the Wilsons. :( But it is in the process of getting remodelled.

My opinion is that comparing anything to an electrostat is nearly comparing apples to oranges. The Wilsons are by far the best sounding non-ESL speaker I have heard to date. The MAXX II has all the great qualities of the Watt/Puppy but on such a larger scale. I can only imagine how much more the X2 would add to the experience.

But there is that air and as you say "soft top end".....I think image presence is also a pinnacle acheivement of a properly set up Logan rig. The Wilsons can throw a huge deep stage and place images with pinpoint accuracy. But something about how the Logans present the same accuracy is almost "surreal". Its lovey to say the least.

Thus, when I say it would be a difficult choice between Wilson Sophia and Summit, I mean that it is choosing between 2 elite performers. Either choice will net me the sonic bliss I desire....they just are 2 completely different entities each bringing its own attributes to the table. There is no wrong choice there.

Its much easier to pick between good and evil than it is to pick between good and good.

My 2 most enjoyable listening experiences have been very different in presentation, yet equal in my emotion and passion. One was when John from Wilson came up to set up the first pair of Watt/Puppies we got on the floor. After spending a couple hours with John in our troublesome room, and learning a ton about how they interact with the room, and so forth, I got to spend some time alone just listening. At this time, it was the Krell KCT preamp, Krell FPB 350MC monoblocks, and Kell KPS28c (?) player. We came to the conclusion that the balanced connection sounded "better" than the CAST. I could hear the difference, but not as pronounced as John seemed to. All I know, was once I was alone in that room, it was magic. Those speakers are just so spot on in every sense. The dynamics is what gets me the most. They are so agile and precise. I could use a bunch of words that wouldnt describe the experience, but its enough for me to just say WOW.

The second experience was an early morning meeting with the owner of the store. He has been in audio since high school and had worked at the shop he now owns since college. He brought us in just to experience something a lot of use hadnt had the chance to. We set up the Prodigies with the Musical Fidelity TriVista hybrid integrated amp, and a Pro-Ject turntable (I dont recall which one). We put on some really well recorded and produced LPs and just enjoyed it. Again, WOW is all I could come up with. Thats where I came up with the equation that Martin Logan + tubes + vinyl = heaven. :)

This is Joey's thread. I return it to him now. hehe.

Great store you have there! I did indeed listen to that exact system you mentioned. I like the way you said that , they both are great just in a different way! very true indeed

Thank you. Its a great place to work. That room begins its transformation this week. It will be completely stripped and redone. Runco VX2 3-chip, Stewart 2.35 horizontal masking curved screen. Classe front end and Wilson speakers all around. Should be one hell of a theater! you will have to make another trip.

I frequent your shop too.... Okay, now returning Joey's thread to him. :)

Charles

Back