Glass, at last!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tj Bassi said:
Your point is well taken but I'm not sure how to properly implement it. Are you saying that in a speaker such as the 'Logans, both the panel and woofer section are driven equally so as to produce the same SPL?
Just to be thorough, I had planned on running one more series of tests, this time with each pair of amps powering the entire speaker, because I've never been conscious of the sound coming from each section in itself. Obviously you can hear the panels; how much the woofer adds to the overall image is what I wanted to take note of.
I will take your suggestion and pick up a meter first, though, just to have viable results.

Tj
Well, the SR9200 was purchased as an upgrade to a 5.1 system, which it handled just fine, and the price was right (demo from Harvey's). Perhaps it will get moved to another location and I will spring for a better preamp, especially considering my move towards a dedicated two channel system.
I hate to tell you, but I just sold my Marantz AV-600 preamp last year. Bought it new back in my 'poor' days, along with the Requests. Drove a tow truck for $50 + tips a few evenings each week just to purchase better audio gear. Alot of components have come and gone since then but I have this odd attachment to those first big purchases.....

Tj

Tj -

Hope your Harvey's experience was better than mine. I tried to purchase my Summits from them (after buying my Ascents from them) and was forced to deal with the most inconsiderate and unhelpful salesperson I've ever met. I wound up at Sound by Singer which was way more inconvenient, but they obviously wanted the business, unlike Harvey.

You should get a test cd with level tones cut into it to balance your bi-amped setup. You can attach a passive volume control to one of the amps to level match.

My opinion - not worth it. Your Hurricanes do bass very well, anyway. Read reviews in TAS.

aliveatfive said:
You should get a test cd with level tones cut into it to balance your bi-amped setup. You can attach a passive volume control to one of the amps to level match.
The "passive volume control" would be the in-line attenuator mentioned in my above post to balance the gain for the 2 amplifiers. To clarify a bit further, these in-line attenuators go in between the pre-amp and the amplifier to be attenuated (Hurricanes). In this case, the resulting gain factor of the 'Canes will be the spec'ed value minus the attenuated value. See example in my post above.
My opinion - not worth it. Your Hurricanes do bass very well, anyway. Read reviews in TAS.
Like I mentioned above, the 'Canes can handle full-range without any problem, but there are those who would not accept anything less than the vise-grip control of the Krells on the bass. In this particular case, it makes sense to bi-amp.

Spike

Spike,
Your suggestion to run the Canes in triode mode did wonders. Almost seamless integration between the tubes on the panel and the Krells down below. Not perfect, but good enough to sit back and enjoy, for now. Got a big nod of approval from a few visiting listeners.
I also noticed that the Hurrianes really came alive in triode mode. Is this typical of all tube amplifiers?
Tj

Tj Bassi said:
Your suggestion to run the Canes in triode mode did wonders. Almost seamless integration between the tubes on the panel and the Krells down below. Not perfect, but good enough to sit back and enjoy, for now. Got a big nod of approval from a few visiting listeners.
Tj, I'm very glad that you're making progress with triode mode. I went back to look at the specs more closely and saw that the 'Canes is spec'ed at 1.7v to drive to full power whereas the Krell needs 2.6v for full power. So, this explains why the Krell got drowned out by the 'Canes. I suspect that the -3db in-line attenuator from Parts Express installed between the preamp and the 'Canes will bring balance to your system (with the 'Canes in triode mode). I'm gonna extrapolate that the -6db attenuator will do the trick if you want to run in ultra-linear mode.
I also noticed that the Hurrianes really came alive in triode mode. Is this typical of all tube amplifiers?
Yeah, the triode magic has that effect :)

Spike

Last edited:
Back