Getting Summits and looking for a good amp (used) match. Price range $2000 - $3000

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdmunn

Reaction score
I am been following this board for a long-time and have desired ML's for even longer. I finally took the plunge and ordered the Summits.

Please lend me your knowledge on recommending a few amps (preferable used) in the $2000 - $3000 range.

I am considering the Plinius SA-102 Solid State. I know that Solid States are good due to the bass but since the Summit's base is powered should that nullify the positive affects of a good solid state like plinius. Should the powered woofers push me to a tube amp?

This system will be used extensively in Home Theater use which makes me wonder if Solid State should be used for all channels or is it ok for Tube for the mains and SS for all others?

PS - I prefer a warmer sound.

PPS - Also looking for some cable recommendations (Again not overpriced)

Thanks!

Brian

bdmunn said:
I am been following this board for a long-time and have desired ML's for even longer. I finally took the plunge and ordered the Summits.

Please lend me your knowledge on recommending a few amps (preferable used) in the $2000 - $3000 range.

I am considering the Plinius SA-102 Solid State. I know that Solid States are good due to the bass but since the Summit's base is powered should that nullify the positive affects of a good solid state like plinius. Should the powered woofers push me to a tube amp?

This system will be used extensively in Home Theater use which makes me wonder if Solid State should be used for all channels or is it ok for Tube for the mains and SS for all others?

Thanks!

Brian

i'd vote tubes, tho the plinius sa 102 is probably as good as warm solid state gets.

VTL or VAC would be my pick. check audiogon, there are a few units that are priced a little high, but could be negotiated down i think...

If you wanted to save dollars and an integrated is an option, the Plinius 8150 or 8200 sound pretty good for s/s. I haven't heard Plinius' power amps, but I'd imagine they'd sound as good or better than their integrateds.

Congratulations on your choice of the Summits. They are absolutely fantastic in the home.

Last edited:
edwinr said:
If you wanted to save dollars and an integrated is an option, the Plinius 8150 or 8200 sound pretty good for s/s. I haven't heard Plinius' power amps, but I'd imagine they'd sound as good or better than their integrateds.
In my listening sessions, I prefer the sound of the Plinius amps over the Plinius Integrated. But then again I am mating my Plinius amp with an ARC Tube Pre.

Dan

What sort of ARC pre are you using, Dan? I like ARC stuff. They make products that sound better than they look... and they look great. The old tube pre and s/s power is a good way to go. You get the best of both worlds.

edwinr said:
What sort of ARC pre are you using, Dan? I like ARC stuff. They make products that sound better than they look... and they look great. The old tube pre and s/s power is a good way to go. You get the best of both worlds.
I use the SP-16L and have replaced the stock EH tubes with RCA's

Dan

Thanks for that, Dan. That's one of the later models which is often matched with the ARC VS55 tube power amp.

Mark Levinson amps are also a good alternative on the second hand market. I currently use a ML23 to drive my Sequel II's and it gives a lot of clean and very controlled power. Also very musical and no "SS cold".
Hope this can help.

bdmunn said:

Thanks!

Brian

Here a few amps to consider:

AES Six Pac's, Quick Silver V4's, ASL Hurricane's or Monsoon's, BAT VK 55 or 60, Airtight ATM 1 or 2

Not sure if anyone mentioned this...

Look at the Bryston 4BSST in addition to the Plinius, Classe, and Levinson offerings.

brian, Good evening, I too, like Dan use a Plinius SA-102 combined with a ARC LS-26. It is my feeling that given the amps Class "A" capability it provides one with a tubelike signature literally at the flip of a switch. I personally have not heard a better sounding amp at or near it's price point. Used it would be within your range.

Latest posts

Back