Gallo Ref 3.1 vs Vantage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I am still shopping around for a potential upgrade for my RF-7s and was curious if anyone has directly compared the Vantage or Vista to the Gallo Ref 3.1? I know everyone will say Vantage but I am curious as to why. I have read the Gallo's have electrostatic like imaging without the small sweet spot. I have not heard the Gallo's and wondered if anyone here has. Finally, if I do go with the Vantage I am concerned about placement, I have my RF-7s about 18 inches (from the back of the speaker) from the front wall and about 3 feet from one side wall and open to the other side wall. Would this be a problem? I know 2 feet of space is usually recommended from the front wall. Does anyone have Vantages closer than 2 feet? Is the recommended 2 feet from the back of the panel or the base?

this is one of the finest and openest groups on the whole internet - not by definition, but by coincidence; a group is made from people, and the people frequenting this site are really very, very nice, prepared, democratic and ___ add your own appreciacions here. We are trying hard to combat our bias towards our own religion - electrostatic loudspeakers, embodied best by Martin Logan. But if you read the many posts around here, you will find that it boils down to something like 65% diehard ML fans, 15-20% people which got away from ML and then came back, and the rest - friends that got incredible opportunities to switch from ML's to Avalons, Wilsons and other legends, or that sport a mix of ML's and other brands in their actual setups. Knowing all this, what kind of answer do you really expect ? :) :confused:

macallan said:
I am still shopping around for a potential upgrade for my RF-7s and was curious if anyone has directly compared the Vantage or Vista to the Gallo Ref 3.1? I know everyone will say Vantage but I am curious as to why.

Listen and decide for yourself is the only answer...

I have read the Gallo's have electrostatic like imaging without the small sweet spot. I have not heard the Gallo's and wondered if anyone here has.

Haven't heard them... Both even then, I would urge you to listen for yourself.

What I can tell you from reviews is that the stage is very low, because of the low stance of the speakers. Even leaving that aspect untouched, the ML Vantage and Gallo will image VERY differently. I wouldn't want to even begin to compare, not saying which is best, but they are different to say the least.

Finally, if I do go with the Vantage I am concerned about placement, I have my RF-7s about 18 inches (from the back of the speaker) from the front wall and about 3 feet from one side wall and open to the other side wall. Would this be a problem? I know 2 feet of space is usually recommended from the front wall. Does anyone have Vantages closer than 2 feet? Is the recommended 2 feet from the back of the panel or the base?

18" is really much to close for the Vantage. You will really need at least 2 feet, measured from the front of the speaker. Most of the users here will tell you at least 3 feet is much better.

18 inches would be from the back of the speaker box, so 18 inches to the bass box which is 16 inches would place the panel 34 inches from the front wall. Is the 2-3 foot recommendation for the panel?

macallan said:
18 inches would be from the back of the speaker box, so 18 inches to the bass box which is 16 inches would place the panel 34 inches from the front wall. Is the 2-3 foot recommendation for the panel?

those distances are on the min side of Ok I suspect. As far as the Gallo I had a chance to listen to them while back home in Upstate NY this past spring and thought them to be open and "nice" just not doing for me what the present Logans do in terms of mid and upper registers. My memory has faded as to any thing more specific, sorry .

The 3 ft generally applies to the panel, so you should be fine.

I too have never heard the gallo's, so can't comment about anything except what I like about logans. Robin is right...this is a great and very open minded group...and as such is a great place to ask these questions (unless noone happens to have heard the gallos!)

I am not sure exactly what it is that causes me to love the sound of MLs so much...but I know that in my experience, it always seems like I have to listen "less hard" to hear details and nuance from music. When I A&B and turn on box speakers (this is mostly in sub-optimal setups at Audio Advice, so take it with a grain of salt) it feels like I'm straining to hear those same details.

From a design concept, there is a lot to be said for the line array concept, whether using cone or electrostatic speakers...so that certainly could account for a lot of the positive impressions I have of MLs.

While I feel that listening to jazz or bass-light music on MLs is unbeatable by anything I've personally heard (it's a very limited experience though) I find that I'm missing a lot of the low-mid to upper bass "punch" that you can get with a lot of other speakers. I'm going to try to DIY a compromise (basically shamelessly copying JonFo on his amazing SL3XC center speaker) to fill in that area...and give me what I perceive to be the best of both worlds.

so...musical tastes, sonic signature tastes, etc. are going to differ with each person. You and I could hear the exact same setups and prefer completely different options. It seems unhelpful to say that...but you really do have to hear for yourself!!! I highly recommend MLs though!!! I think Vistas and Vantages are a great value at their price-point.

macallan said:
I am still shopping around for a potential upgrade for my RF-7s and was curious if anyone has directly compared the Vantage or Vista to the Gallo Ref 3.1?

I have read the Gallo's have electrostatic like imaging without the small sweet spot. I have not heard the Gallo's and wondered if anyone here has.

Ok ...this is a jucy one for me because I was exactly in your shoes about 8 months ago.....replacing my RF7s. The 7s really are a hard act to follow, especially mine since I had the Dean G Xover mods. One of the many speakers I got to listen to was the Gallo Ref 3.1 and honestly, I didn't find them much better than the RF 7s, I did not like the way they imaged at all and I felt that the bass (without their proprietary sub amp/eq) was inferior to the RF7s. I had the opportunity to listen to several pairs at various locations and honestly, I don't get what people are raving about. I find the Ref 3.1 uninspiring, but they are cool to look at with the grill cages off!

I listened to just abouty everything out there in the $3K to $10 k range and almost was reaching the point where I was resigning myself to having to spend at least $10k until the day I heard the Vantages. I immediatly knew this was something special.... I ordered a pair on the spot.

That dealer didn't have a pair of Summits to listen to for comparison so I stopped by Sound Advice in Boca Raton where they did. All I can say is if you are considering The Vantage...don't, I repeat don't ever listen to The Summit..lol

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry. Do you feel like you give up anything when going from the RF-7 to the Vantage? (summit is out of the question) Did you loose any slam or dynamics? How about the sweet spot? I actually feel it is pretty small on the RF-7, how does it compare to the vantage?

macallan said:
Thanks Jerry. Do you feel like you give up anything when going from the RF-7 to the Vantage? QUOTE]

Hi mac, maybe I'm missing something here, are you speaking of the Klipsch RF-7's ????

Yep, the Klipsch RF-7. I know that all speakers have their + and -, just wondering what previous RF-7 owners thought about the Vantage in comparison. I think the RF-7 is very dynamic and clear, solid imaging but a small sweet spot and not much image depth. The Vantage sounded deeper but had less impact during the brief audition. Just wondering what someone who has owned both for a while thought and if the RF-7 bested the Vantage in any area.

macallan said:
Thanks Jerry. Do you feel like you give up anything when going from the RF-7 to the Vantage? (summit is out of the question) Did you loose any slam or dynamics? How about the sweet spot? I actually feel it is pretty small on the RF-7, how does it compare to the vantage?

The Vantages are much smoother than th 7s, also they have a much better detailed midrange (they are essentially 3 ways where the RF7 are two ways) have a much higher grade crossover (less distortion and ringing) and they like more power. With it's own powered internal sub you wouldn't give up anything interms of slam. If I hadn't ever heard the Summit, I'd have them in my listening room right now.

Last edited:
DrJRapp said:
The Vantages are much smoother than th 7s, also they have a much better detailed midrange (they are essentially 3 ways where the RF7 are two ways) have a much higher grade crossover (less distortion and ringing) and they like more power. With it's own powered internal sub you wouldn't give up anything interms of slam. If I hadn't ever heard the Summit, I'd have them in my listening room right now.

The funny anecdote is that before Jerry had heard the Vantages, I had a poll in HTGuide forum as to which was the best between speakers at the $5K class. Jerry didnt vote Vantage, he voted for something else (I forget which)....

But a few weeks later, he came back and said that he rescinds his vote and voted for the Vantages.

Good ol' Jerry! :D

macallan said:
Yep, the Klipsch RF-7. I know that all speakers have their + and -, just wondering what previous RF-7 owners thought about the Vantage in comparison. I think the RF-7 is very dynamic and clear, solid imaging but a small sweet spot and not much image depth. The Vantage sounded deeper but had less impact during the brief audition. Just wondering what someone who has owned both for a while thought and if the RF-7 bested the Vantage in any area.

Just prior to my purchase of my Vantages last Dec I was running Klipsch RF-7, RC-7 set/up (in moment of weakness I had sold/gave my Maggies to my son), while the Rf-7's proved formidable for HT they bordered on unlistenable for music. I personally have never heard a horn loaded speaker thats sounds good with SS amplification. i do believe the Klipsch paired up with the right tube componets can be made to sing though. as far as comparing to the Vantage's.......... not even in the Ball park !! That box speaker ringing phone syndrome was quite apparent to me with a top end sizzle I couldn't take.

Please explain the box speaker ringing phone syndrome statement.

attyonline said:
Please explain the box speaker ringing phone syndrome statement.

after a period of listening, dependent on speakers, room acoustics, etc. it's the sensation one gets that there is a telphone ringing "somewhere in the house". I have found theis phenomenon more prevelent with box speakers whether it be from interactions from the room at the higher freq presented in combination with the cabinetry design I'm not sure. One thing I am sure is that when I owned the RF-7's it was there, in less than an hour of listening.

The RF7 has a ringing right at 3Khz that can be corrected with Xover mods. I had done that to my pair and my center and it made all the difference in the world. When I asked Klipsch why they hadn't ever fixed that themselves (they were well aware of it) their reply was that "focus groups" had preferred the sound with the sizzle from the ringing. Who their "focus groups" were I don't know; perhaps a group of marketing people! ...lol (my apologies to any marketing types here).

Anyhow, it seems that many of us wind up leaving the Klipsch camp to switch to ESLs.

Last edited:
DrJRapp said:
Anyhow, it seems that many of us wind up leaving the Klipsch camp to switch to ESLs.

I know I did..... for a while, all I wanted were the RF7. Now look what happened to me once the ESL bug bit! :(

Latest posts

Back