FX2 Surround placement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyb

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on what would be an ideal placement for the Electromotion FX2 for home theater L and R surrounds? I'm looking for height and what angle relative to the main listening position. I know they state that they will perform in many different areas, but I am looking for what would be the best way to place them. I see that the specs on them state that they have a 160 x 30 dispersion. Thanks,

First, can you please tell us a little more about the room and the system they will be used in to better help us with recommendations?

For a 5.1 setup, the recommendations are to place the surrounds on the side walls, at around head-level or just a tiny bit above (so listeners on the same row do not occlude the others) and slightly behind the row of listeners, at around 110 degrees from the line to the center speaker.

Here is the diagram from the Dolby site for a 5.1 layout
1661773379119.png

Now, the FX2 has tweeters aimed forwards and backwards, so I'd increase the angle to the listeners to around 120, but ensure the bounce angles of the rearward tweeters combine at the MLP.
If the location is too close to the rear wall, then you'll need to either dampen the rear-facing tweeters output (or disable it by modding it) or switch to a monopole speaker model, such as a 35XTi.

The design of the FX2 reflects old-school surround practice from back in the days when the surround channels were not discreet, and a diffuse soundfield was desirable for the rear.
In today's discrete 5.1, and especially for immersive audio (Atmos), the rears need to be directional and have smooth dispersion.

WOW. talk about a complete answer!!! I will give the 120 a try!!
Thanks Jon!!

Scottyb

Back