Future ML Owner seeking advice.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djyeti88

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've been reading these forums for quite a while now trying to learn what I can and admire the systems of the members here. I just got a new job that may support my audio/video addiction and I was wondering if y'all could leave me with some advice.
I have been listening to my friend's system (mapmustang) with the Ascent i's and no doubt, I love them. I'm thinking of getting a pair of logans for my new apartment listening room. I have been looking into Ascent i's, Vistas, and even the Aeon i's if I can still find them at tweeter. I'm curious if you think it would be worth the money for a guy that is new to the game to save for the Vistas or try to find a smokin' deal on some Ascent's or Aeon's. I'm liking the idea of having the new panels for the more open sound on my music. My room is going to be about 12 x 13.5 with a twin bed on the opposite wall and bean bag chairs on the floor. The plan is to make this room into my audio/video sanctuary. The system will be used for mostly 2 ch. music and games. Other speakers will follow the Logans to build the system out to surround sound. I will also need an amp for the speakers and I had been thinking about getting a 200.2 B&K for the mains and running a Denon 3806 as my preamp and power source for other small speakers and center channel in the same room. The only reason I was thinking about using the 3806 is because I get about 40% off through my fiance at her work. I was thinking it would be nice to use for switching and make the system more likely to get running in a short time. Has anyone gone this route? Like I said, not really sure how to go with this and I appreciate any advice. Thanks very much.

DJ Yeti

djyeti88 said:
Hello everyone!
I've been reading these forums for quite a while now trying to learn what I can and admire the systems of the members here. I just got a new job that may support my audio/video addiction and I was wondering if y'all could leave me with some advice.
I have been listening to my friend's system (mapmustang) with the Ascent i's and no doubt, I love them. I'm thinking of getting a pair of logans for my new apartment listening room. I have been looking into Ascent i's, Vistas, and even the Aeon i's if I can still find them at tweeter. I'm curious if you think it would be worth the money for a guy that is new to the game to save for the Vistas or try to find a smokin' deal on some Ascent's or Aeon's. I'm liking the idea of having the new panels for the more open sound on my music. My room is going to be about 12 x 13.5 with a twin bed on the opposite wall and bean bag chairs on the floor. The plan is to make this room into my audio/video sanctuary. The system will be used for mostly 2 ch. music and games. Other speakers will follow the Logans to build the system out to surround sound. I will also need an amp for the speakers and I had been thinking about getting a 200.2 B&K for the mains and running a Denon 3806 as my preamp and power source for other small speakers and center channel in the same room. The only reason I was thinking about using the 3806 is because I get about 40% off through my fiance at her work. I was thinking it would be nice to use for switching and make the system more likely to get running in a short time. Has anyone gone this route? Like I said, not really sure how to go with this and I appreciate any advice. Thanks very much.

DJ Yeti

Vistas are much better than Aeons, but the Ascent is a fine amazing speaker. I'd suggest holding out for a pair of Vistas. However if you can get a screaming deal on a pair of Ascents, go for it.

The B&K is a good match for the speakers as they have a lot of power (225watts@8, 350@4). However for the price ($1,500 unless you're buying it from an unauthorized internet site with no warranty and these fall off the backs of trucks so to speak all the time, its a popular line for Trans-Shippers), you could get:

Outlaw 7500 which is a 200@8, 300@4 for FIVE channels at the same price of $1,500. The Outlaw unit doesn't have the problems of say a Rotel at the same price with a lack of mid-bass. It does a good overall job thru-out. Its a fully balanced unit as well (so is the B&K). It compares favorably to B&K sound, but more so towards NAD amps. Its an audiophile amp no doubt about it, it is more American/English in sound than Japanese. If you're going for B&K I'm sure that is the sound you're going for. They are American made as well.

The Denon 3806 has HDMI switching and is a strong unit, but the amp in it will mess with the sound quality vs a straight up separate. Your price would be $779 and that is a good deal. I'd suggest a Outlaw 970 which is $699. However the 990 is much better solution for the speakers you're buying and the amp. This unit is $1,099. However you can save $200 by buying them both at the same time from Outlaw. $2,398 total for pre-pro/amp.

I'm a B&K dealer, so I know how great B&K product is, but Outlaw is a steal currently with their amps. To get better amps you'd have to spend a lot more money. The B&K 200.2 is a better amp, but its 2 channels. The differences between the two amps would be VERY slight, plus the ability to power a Center, and two rear speakers. Outlaw makes a legit powerful amp. This isn't a Digital amp or any kind of trick power. It is a legit amp. Outlaw removes middle men (people like myself) and the 40 points that the middle man gets goes to you the end user. You already sound like a man who likes to save 40%. So that $1,500 Outlaw amp is like buying a $2,500 amp.

At some point the Cinema will be discontinued. At that point you could likely grab one for about $1,200. Having matching amp power for the fronts is always a good idea.

If you were planning on a $779 Receiver as a Pre, and B&K from an unauthorized source (probably around $1180) then the $1959 price tag is significantly lower than the $2,398 price tag. However if you were getting the B&K legit then you're talking about best case scenario of $1,350. $2,129 vs $2,398 is close. Shipping however will add around a $100+. Now even with the 40% deal you still have to pay taxes. If you're buying the B&K legit you have to pay taxes on that as well. So think about $200 in taxes. With Outlaw you won't be paying taxes more than likely. So the Outlaw gear gets about $75 closer. So you're really looking at what $200 more can get you.

The Outlaw has DVI w/hdcp switching. It will carry a 1080p signal. It has amazing sound for its price. It sounds good enough that if you were considering NAD's $3,500 combo you'd be hard pressed to find more than slightly subtle differences.

For that someone that is trying to get the most out of ML with a limited budget, I can't think of a better recommendation.

www.outlawaudio.com

Last edited:
I finally had a chance to hear the Vistas at a local Tweeter and I absolutley loved them. They were running them on a Denon 3806 and I was actually really surprised at how good they sounded with no amplifier pushing them. He did the demo between the Clarity, Vista and Vantage to let me hear the differences between them. I noticed an extreme difference between the Clarity and Vista, but not so much on up to the Vantages. I'm thinking in order to save a little bit, about going with a Denon 3806 and a pair of Outlaw Audio monoblocks to push the Vistas. To reinforce the low end I'm thinking of running a Velodyne SPL-800 sub. When I was doing the demo at Tweeter I had him throw the sub in there on the music and it really helped fill out the low end of the music. I think that's going to be the best course of action without going broke in one shot.

I'm curious if anyone knows if it would be possible to give them too much power at 300 watts @ 4 ohms. They guy at Tweeter said that I might be careful about running them with over 200 watts because it might be too much for the wooofer. I'm sure the panel can take what you can give them, but I am kinda concerned damaging the speakers.

I'm thrilled that this dream is going to become a reality soon. :) I'm hoping to have these by September or October. If anyone else has any tips feel free to let me know. Thanks again for all the great info.

Your room sounds a lot like my previous bedroom, where I had my Summits setup. I'm sure - no, I'm 100% confident that the Vistas will easily integrate well into that room.

Go for it!

Back