Front Summit woofer on the fritz again

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Unfortunately, one of my front Summit woofers has gone on the fritz... not working at all. This happened once before, but unplugging to force a "reset" fixed it. The LED light is still green, so I'm HOPING it's not an amplifier fault. I tried the unplug reset anyways, but that didn't work. I removed the bottom woofer to access the amp/crossover connections, but everything seems intact. Either the push-on connector at the woofer itself has come loose, or perhaps one of the amps is bad (despite the green LED).

It seems the ONLY way to check the front woofer connection is to remove the entire front stat panel, as there is an MDF divider which seals off the front woofer cabinet from the rear.

Just wondering if anybody has removed their Summit stat panel, and how easy it is to do. I tried to call ML today, but they are closed.

Craig, my local Summit owner/expert has written instructions from ML on how to do that, and I/we may just tackle this ourselves. I bought my Summits used, so they are out of warranty. I just don't want to do any more damage while trouble-shooting this issue.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Unfortunately, one of my front Summit woofers has gone on the fritz... not working at all. This happened once before, but unplugging to force a "reset" fixed it. The LED light is still green, so I'm HOPING it's not an amplifier fault. I tried the unplug reset anyways, but that didn't work. I removed the bottom woofer to access the amp/crossover connections, but everything seems intact. Either the push-on connector at the woofer itself has come loose, or perhaps one of the amps is bad (despite the green LED).

It seems the ONLY way to check the front woofer connection is to remove the entire front stat panel, as there is an MDF divider which seals off the front woofer cabinet from the rear.

Just wondering if anybody has removed their Summit stat panel, and how easy it is to do. I tried to call ML today, but they are closed.

Craig, my local Summit owner/expert has written instructions from ML on how to do that, and I/we may just tackle this ourselves. I bought my Summits used, so they are out of warranty. I just don't want to do any more damage while trouble-shooting this issue.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Hola Sleepsurf...sorry to hear your problem...but if I were you, I will contact Jim Power regarding that particular problem...perhaps there is another way to solve it...he will tell you the best way to fix it once and for sure!, happy listening dear friend,
Roberto.

Goodluck SS.... I hope you can fix those Bubinga Summits....

Joey :(

Whew! Thank you Craig!

Lucky for me, it turned out to be a poor connection from the front woofer to the ice-power amp board. I was NOT able to access the front woofer itself without taking off the stat panel, but thanks to Craig's great photo tutorial (see link below) I removed the power board module and swapped woofer connections. The front woofer then worked when powered from the bottom woofer board, so I knew the distal woofer connection was intact. Craig actually came over to help trouble-shoot. We "double-checked" all the connections, and although none seemed loose, when we re-assembled everything, BOTH woofers worked! This was a great relief as I am hosting a listening session for our local Tampa Bay Listening Society on Tues. Murphy's Law did NOT prevail today!

Craig also brought the printed instructions from ML which explains how to a) access and replace the Summit amp power boards
b) remove and replace the Summit stat panel

I will scan both to a .pdf file and upload for reference.

I'm NOT advocating DIY repairs, especially when your speakers are still under warranty. However, the instructions may prove helpful for trouble-shooting a problem along with ML support, or if out of warranty. Also, if you DO access the amp section, be VERY cautious, because even though the speakers have been unplugged, the charged capacitors could still deliver quite a jolt.

Link to Craigs amp replacement tutorial...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2090)

Last edited:
Great news!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont understand how glad I am that everything worked out for you!

And good luck hosting the Tampa Bay Audiophile Society...

How come Chicago doesnt have an Audiophile society??!

Joey :banghead: :banghead:

Great news, and glad you and Craig we're able to work through it and get them working on your own.

This is what's so great about these forums, as they A) give us access to information and references that would not normally be available and B) acess to people who will help virtually or physically work through issues.

Of note, the Summits sang beautifully for our local audio club. Most heartwarming of all, an older gentleman and his wife came (both avid audiophiles from NY, now retired), who once had EXTREME audio setups in their home, and which they brought "baby pictures" of. They said my Summit system was one of the "cleanest, most musical" systems they'd ever heard, as they sat there, side by side, sharing the sweet spot, with giant smiles on their faces. Now THAT is true love (for each other, ML's, or both!)

Of note, the Summits sang beautifully for our local audio club. Most heartwarming of all, an older gentleman and his wife came (both avid audiophiles from NY, now retired), who once had EXTREME audio setups in their home, and which they brought "baby pictures" of. They said my Summit system was one of the "cleanest, most musical" systems they'd ever heard, as they sat there, side by side, sharing the sweet spot, with giant smiles on their faces. Now THAT is true love (for each other, ML's, or both!)

Amazing my friend... you just gave this kid goosebumps.

Joey :cheers:

Latest posts

Back