From 'Longfellow Music Hall'

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. (this is a bit long for sure!)

Just joined MLO and it was suggested to post into this showcase thread.
It is a 2.1 system comprised of a pair of Martin Logan Classic '9's from the Masterpiece series. Driven by John Curl designed (Parasound) Halo P6 preamp/DAC and the A-21 amplifier. This is mated to a Martin Logan Dynamo 1600x subwoofer and tuned according to the built in Anthem room correction with the optional 'bass kit'.

The electronics are in a low rack at the seating area as shown. The preamp with balanced quad lines run out to the amp along with a 12volt signal cable. The subwoofer is keyed by a 12v. signal in turn from the amp. The A-21's audio output also drives the subwoofer's input which according to ML and stated in the manual, is the best way to 'drive' the 1600x.

The 1600x is then fine tuned to taste using the Martin Logan app. on a tablet. Crossover set at 35 Hz. Phase 90 degrees and input INVERTED. This is from the manual as a starting point, but, so successful (I can't make it sound any better!), I continue to run it in that configuration.

Turntables: Red table is a Rega RP6 with Groove Tracer subplatter / jeweled bearings - external powersupply and speed control.
White table is a new U-Turn custom order (made here in my own state). Both sport an Ortofon Blue cart.

For CD / DVD-A / Bluray audio: Pioneer Elite Multi Disk player and a cheapie Sony Bluray player for that format.
Cassettes are handled by a Realistic SCT-11 bought new in the 70ies - 6 new belts a few years ago.
Streaming from Qobuz via a dedicated W-11 laptop with USB to the Halo P6 DAC.

The room is lighted by overhead spotlighting focused on the gear, and uplighting by floor cans at the front wall (with remote LED control) to highlight the panels from behind in most any color combination as shown in the photos.

Sound treatment: A custom order, 7x4' cloth cellular window covering front and center wall. Further absorption along the side and rear walls in the listening end of the space but NOT near or behind the ESL's according to ML. These are custom ordered 2x3' panels from ATS filled with Owens Corning materials. The room is a combination of live and dampened acoustics which help to keep from choking the dynamics, yet controlling echo at the same time.

The Classic 9's and Parasound gear were all put together by my new, brick and mortar audio store 'Safe and Sound'. They have a fine website, complete with photos from their Grand Opening party which I was happy to attend and actually meet a fine people from Martin Logan.

The photo of the space with both turntables is the current config. and was also sent to PS Audio.
Thanks for taking a look!

Gary

Attachments

• Lavender-Red.JPG
    Lavender-Red.JPG
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Light Blue-Aqua.JPG
    Light Blue-Aqua.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
  • All Red.JPG
    All Red.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • All White.JPG
    All White.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • For Octave Records.JPG
    For Octave Records.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Audio Rack.JPG
    Audio Rack.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Listening area treatment.JPG
    Listening area treatment.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Excellent setup. Awesome pics and lighting effects. Did you do the system setup and sound treatment yourself?

The A-21's audio output also drives the subwoofer's input which according to ML and stated in the manual, is the best way to 'drive' the 1600x.

Hi Gary, lovely looking system; thanks for posting.

Checking that you are indeed driving the sub from power-amp levels as input?

Since you have a 2.1 capable preamp with a full high-pass / low-pass active crossover, I would suggest leveraging that and feeding the sub-out signal (via balanced XLR) to the LFE input of the X1600.

It is always best to use an active XO if available, as that will remove the low-frequency load from the Classic 9.
Given that what you have now is doubled bass, the XO point might be higher than the 35 you currently set. I'd start the XO in the P6 at 70Hz or so.

Sound treatment: A custom order, 7x4' cloth cellular window covering front and center wall. Further absorption along the side and rear walls in the listening end of the space
Cool, as that is important given how close the seating is to the rear wall. From the pic, it seems the MLP seat does not have an absorber behind it, was that a choice?

Usually, the short reflection times from the solid surface just behind the MLP would be a problem.

As for a live front stage, it is definitely an option many enjoy. Have you experimented with the speakers further into the room?

Also, can't tell from the pics, but the toe-in seems minimal, but maybe it is lens distortion that makes it look that way.

Hi Gary, lovely looking system; thanks for posting.

Checking that you are indeed driving the sub from power-amp levels as input?

Since you have a 2.1 capable preamp with a full high-pass / low-pass active crossover, I would suggest leveraging that and feeding the sub-out signal (via balanced XLR) to the LFE input of the X1600.

It is always best to use an active XO if available, as that will remove the low-frequency load from the Classic 9.
Given that what you have now is doubled bass, the XO point might be higher than the 35 you currently set. I'd start the XO in the P6 at 70Hz or so.
Jon. To answer your questions from BOTH your posts in this one.....

For your kind words, thank you!

In the begining of my system setup, I did use the pre-outs from the P6 (as you mentioned), but still ran it AND the MLs full range. I did not want to disturb their balanced sound. They have plenty of low end in my longish space for sure. However, as a mainly orchestral recordings listener, the sub-sonics from a 40", deeply tuned, symphonic bass drum is a bit below the Classic 9's reach, also the lowest notes from a pipe organ 32' pedal stop running down to 16Hz. for sure. This system differs from an AVR / theater setup, tailored for music only, no LFE ((O;

This is why I added the subwoofer to be just that, to compliment the 9's only. In other words, just for that last octave in the music. There is NO worry about 'frequency load' on those bass modules. ML requests that amps should be rated at 400w pch. The A-21 has plenty of headroom and the ML's take it without stress, I assure you, it is amazing what they really can handle (O:

The 'hookup'. Martin Logan themselves has a 'better - BEST' way they would like to see their subwoofer wired. This is why I unhooked the audio rack, broke everything down, started over and moved it at coffee table reach. In turn, ran good quality balanced lines across to the amp (with a 12v trigger line) and then, ML's suggested BEST method of connection to the 1600x which is to be driven from the outputs of the amp.

This is also Paul McGowan's (PS Audio) suggestion as well.

Room treatments. ATS panels as mentioned in my introduction are all behind the listening end as seen, and run half way to the right and left sidewalls. That rear half of the room is quite dampened. The front half of the space is open and of course, a bit more reflective, but again, this seems to be the method favored.

Toe in. I have that set to ML's suggestion using the reflected light method. 1/3 panel , inside area reflecting back. The panels are all set to ML's distance to wall measurements using the woofer size as a 'guide'. I wanted to pull them a little bit more into the room, so the back of the modules are 12" instead (as if they were the 15A?). I have OCD and the speakers are measured to less then a 1/16" of their lives to walls etc. ((O:

Experimentation. Jon, I went through all of this before, trying to see if I could get a better result then the bench mark setting from the EXTENSIVE ML owner's manual (you've seen one of these correct?). I marked the floor with tape, made a record of my original placement on paper and started in.

I pulled them into the room, trying different distances. I towed them in and out. Moved them closer together, further apart, made it so they were at an equilateral triangle. NOTHING I did made anything I would call an improvement over the ML starting point, and so, as I said, everything was returned to the position you see in the photos. It is the best sound I could achieve in the space.

We all know the principals of the Martin Logan, curved stat panel. So, ceilings, floors and sidewalls are not a suffering issue for them, and I chose not to dampen the front walls behind them. ALTHOUGH, to satisfy yours and my own curiosity, I DID take one of the panels and placed one each behind them to give that a try, and somehow, that did not seem to change anything that I could tell, so, it is what it is. If the reflected sound behind a dipole / line source is part of the over all 'part of the sound', I am not sure why we would want to eliminate it. Not sure if that is a directive from ML either. I may check the manual again on that one.

Well, for a new guy around here, I hope I covered all basis with my long writing.........I've been doing this stuff for many years, and at some point, it is time to realize, you've got the best sound and kit you've ever had, and you gave it a college try to improve and experiment.

Now, I simply enjoy it for what it is, and have guests over to share in it with me. So far, those that have stopped by (including the sceptics from the Maggie camp), have been very surprised at the final results, one couple stayed nearly 6 hours !

Onward we go.

Thanks Jon for your suggestions, but, you know now, I've been there before (O:

I certainly hope I can contribute on this forum and help others that are beginning their journey, or may still want to improve their home audio experience further.

..............Gary
PS. I am running the 1600x remote app. So, everything is disabled on the rear panel.

Last edited:
Excellent setup. Awesome pics and lighting effects. Did you do the system setup and sound treatment yourself?
Thanks so much Reverb! This is all my own doing. Lighting is on a budget, but seems to work well enough for the space. I left a very long and complete breakdown for Jon. Perhaps you'll catch it? It is a review basically, but I was wanting to answer all his questions and suggestions too. Thanks for looking and your kind compliment!

.........Gary

Hello Gary, thanks too.
Cool! Yes, I did and very interesting. No more experimentation?

Hello Gary, thanks too.
Cool! Yes, I did and very interesting. No more experimentation?
Hello Reverb. That is correct, no more experimentation. It is hard work, and I have toiled over it too many times with NO improvements. Rather then become frustrated, it has come to the point where I realize that for myself and fellow music lovers that come to listen, it is a grand sound in it's present form. I am blessed to have a home with a second large living space dedicated as you see to the 2.1 channel system focusing on the Martin Logan Classic 9's.

When one of my guests says that the stereo image from 20' back is much wider then the big Magna Pans he just heard, that tells me quite enough. When another quest that owns all new Krell gear with pure class A amplification and top of the line LEGACY speakers 'Sounds wonderful!', then for sure, I realize there is something good going on here in this space called Longfellow Music Hall (O:

What is cool about this audio setup?, it's simplicity!. The source player, preamp, amp, speakers. No mysterious black boxes, external DACs or additional 'funny' stuff. What you see (and hear) is what you get.

My doors are ALWAYS OPEN for anyone that is seriously wanting to hear this system. I provide food and drink, you bring your favorite tracks on pretty much ANY format. LP, cassette, reel to reel, DVD-A, DVD-R, SACD and Bluray audio. or I can provide Qobuz. I have laid the welcome mat out many times on different audio forums, but few are interested. Maybe I am too far away for most to make the trip out?

Perhaps that could change on MLO ?
All for now......

Thanks, Gary. I hear you, you've done tinkering like forever, now it's time to enjoy it. What you have now must already be perfect according to your preference and doesn't need any improvement. I agree with you about simplicity. I enjoy your story about openig doors to those who like to listen and serve food and drink. Have fun and see you around.

Thanks, Gary. I hear you, you've done tinkering like forever, now it's time to enjoy it. What you have now must already be perfect according to your preference and doesn't need any improvement. I agree with you about simplicity. I enjoy your story about openig doors to those who like to listen and serve food and drink. Have fun and see you around.
You are welcome Mr. Reverb. Yes, with 4+ systems in my home, the Music Hall system is the 'end game' for me and my favorite for sitting and listening. VERY lucky to have one large room for such a setup.

The other systems are good and fine for cranking up during house work LOL.

What I do now is look after restoring some of the older gear. Just finished getting a complete Bang and Olufsen 'System 6500' (in second floor livingroom) back up and running in full. Changing belts on the cassette transport (a real challenge) and enjoying the rewards getting it back to 100%, new belts came from a parts outlet in Denmark! The complete system was built in 1990 according to the build plates on the rear of each component.

Also a really nice B.I.C. 960 (1975) turntable back from a frozen state. Landed a brand new stylus from Japan for the Shure Cart.

Also a Sony 4 channel reel to reel I bought back in the day (1974) is on the list of things to get working again. All the grease has turned to paste, and since it is a mechanical transport with ONE motor operation vs. the Teac A-6010 here which uses 'logic' controls and is a multi motor system, well, you get the idea.

Fun stuff, keeps me busy...........now, what will be next? Oh yeah, restoring the theater space. On it goes (O:

You are SO VERY lucky indeed. I thought we were talking about one system only.:) Four+ systems are quite a handful. Love to hear about those old music gears. Realized you are still as busy as ever. Have fun!

So, what's your favorite place?

Hi Gary -- and Welcome! Looking forward to following your adventures, including your bringing older gear back to life.

VERY nice pics. Looking forward to many more pics and updates.

Last edited:
You are SO VERY lucky indeed. I thought we were talking about one system only.:) Four+ systems are quite a handful. Love to hear about those old music gears. Realized you are still as busy as ever. Have fun!

So, what's your favorite place?
Mr. Reverb. Longfellow Music Hall (1) is where the Martin Logans live as seen in the photos. I can be found in that space usually on Saturday evenings. A long time member (since 2006) of the Klipsch forums and a bunch of us get together in the 'Right this Minute' section on that night.

We usually meet at 7:30 pm. Eastern to take in the LIVE stream at 8pm. from the Boston Symphony Orchestra for whom I work for during the summer season at Tanglwood in Lenox, MA. You can stream this yourself over the WCRB website. It is not too shabby for an MP3 data stream.

Usually, myself, and friends from Wyoming, Iowa and Rhode Island can be found in that RTM section all listening in real time in our own time zones, making comments and enjoying the music. The concert runs 2 hours generally. Afterward, I will venture off to another Klipsch forum called 'Vinyl Spinning'. The fellow (Paul) that heads that one is in Australia, they are 14 hours AHEAD of our zone, but we meet at opposite ends of the day. Our evenings after dinner are his mornings at breakfast!

So, the serious listening and enjoyment of music takes place in that room on the weekends and IS the FAVORITE.

During the week, there is Longfellow Music Hall (2) which is on the second floor. A quaint, livingroom setting. There is where the B&O system with a pair of Klipsch Reference Premiere 280F towers live. It is a good system, but seating is a bit to close for my taste at only about 7' ! That system is good for turning it up, streaming Spotify or Qobuz via the Blue Tooth transceiver from the kitchen laptop or tablet in the home. Probably gets used the most.

Well, guess I went on another one of my writing sprees LOL. More then you asked for (O:

Hi Gary -- and Welcome! Looking forward to following you adventures, including your bringing older gear back to life.

VERY nice pics. Looking forward to many more pics and updates.
Thank you Len ! Appreciate your comment (O: There will be more photos of other rooms, and a few more of the 'Hall' once I get the theater system moved from there. At that point, it will be a TOTOALLY dedicated room for the Martin Logan 2.1 system by itself. Then, the Longfellow theater will be back up and running, and I can get some photos from there for the group. The whole house is a man cave ( 0 : LOL

Latest posts

Back