Fresco set up questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man0fsteel

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a new member here. I've been reading a lot and learning a lot over the past couple days (at the expense of work...) Like many, I've been hypnotized by the ML sound when I heard a pair many many years ago.

Anyhow, I won an ebay auction of 3 new fresco speakers this past weekend, only to have the seller tell me they were sold by someone at his shop :mad:

The reason I'm looking at the frescos is for aesthetic reasons and space. I want the speakers wall mounted (at least the left and right). But I really don't want to compromise on the sound as much as possible.

But before I go bidding on other frescos, I thought I'd ask the group here for suggestions.

1. I was planning to run the 3 frescos as LRC with some Helos ceiling speakers for a 5.1 setup. My only ML piece so far is an Abyss sub. Will this set up work running from a Sony DA5400ES receiver? I'm mostly concerned about running 5 ohm speakers. And reading here has got me a little concerned that a receiver really won't power these speakers effectively.

2. Alternatively, I was thinking about running 2 Frescos as L and R and then getting a Cinema or one of ML's dedicated center channel speakers. Looking for suggestions as to how this will sound. Will it be too Center weighted? Will the stat center blend with the Frescos?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Greg

I cannot speak to your receiver, but I have had my vignettes (very similar to fresco) on a few different receivers and amps without any problems. I would not recommend mixing ATF and stat in the front stage, they will sound drastically different.

Fresco I

Well I hope this helps... I have a pair of Fresco I speakers I'm using as my LR and RR powered by a Pioneer Elite VSX 32... They sound fine where they are but they're not really drawing much power being the rear surround speakers.

Here's where I think I can help. I'm currently running Vistas up front and they sound "fine". Which is a weird statement because they actually sound great! But I say fine because there's no clipping or distortion so that means they're "fine". They are quite a bit more power hungry than the Fresco I and if my receiver can make them sing than I'm sure the Frescos will sound fine as well with your receiver. You can always get separates later.

Having said that I am going to get a 500 watt per channel amp to drive my Vistas but thats more for fun than anything.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies Hocky and Vertigo.

Now I just have to wait and find some frescos...I'm going to compare stats on your Pioneer Receiver and my Sony. The only thing I've really heard is that my Sony is a little light on current.

Back