formats- which one?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
cd formats- which one?

Can anyone with a little time on their hands help me better understand what the best format for my CD player would be? My cd player has: 24-bit 192k 8 times oversampled upsampling.

I am interested in purchasing CD's that will allow me to squeeze out the very best that there is to offer. Now obviously, I don't own a SACD player, however, I am still able to hear major differences on SACD's versus Redbook CD's. So the choice is easy. The choice is also easy with certain recording labels I am familar with, i.e., Chesky, Telarc, etc.

But if I buy something online and lets say I were to find the same Neil Young CD recorded on 'SACD' and another which is recorded on 'HDAD 24/96 24/192.' Is there one that is going to sound better on my CDP and be the obvious choice?

And what are all these various SACD formats?

As a side note: there seems to be a great selction at this e-store.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/music.cfm?section=music

Thanks.

Attachments

• formats.jpg
    formats.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
SugarMedia said:
And what are all these various SACD formats?

Hybrid - SACD and CD (Redbook)

Hybrid Mono - Mono recording for SACD and CD
Hybrid MCH - MCH SACD, Stereo SACD, Stereo CD
Hybrid SACD - ??? Usually marked, Mono, Stereo, or MCH

Single Layer - SACD Only - No redbook layer

Single Layer MCH SACD - MCH SACD only
Single Layer Stereo SACD - Stereo SACD only

I used to have a player that played DVD-A's (Denon 2200 that is now sitting around and I need to sell it), but I bought a new Sony player and it does not play DVD-A's, so I cannot comment too much on DVD-A discs as I only own a few of them (Steely Dan - Everything Must Go was a great sounding DVD-A).

One of the best sounding SACD's that I have heard to date is:

Diana Krall - Love Scenes

In Stereo SACD....Just amazing....

Dan

32 views and no one knows which CD format is best for a "24-bit 192k 8 times oversampled upsampling CD Player?"

Thanks Dan for the format explanations...I'm sure the Diana Krall is also quite good in sacd. I'm really enoying this Patricia Barber too. Regards.

SugarMedia said:
32 views and no one knows which CD format is best for a "24-bit 192k 8 times oversampled upsampling CD Player?"

Like the cable debate, the format debate, on which is better, will also go on and on and on. Try some of both and see which you like better. Personally I have seen many more SACD's releases than DVD-A's (other than Dual Disc which is DVD-A, DVD, and CD). I do not like the Dual Disc format....it has been very finicky for me playing wise as the CD layer does not conform to the Compact Disc Format.

Thanks Dan for the format explanations...I'm sure the Diana Krall is also quite good in sacd. I'm really enoying this Patricia Barber too. Regards.

I have to listen to some Barber again to see if I like her. It has been a bit since I last listened to her stuff. I was the same way with Krall, and I have grown to like her music.

Dan

Last edited:
This is a tough one like Dan said. I do not think it is as volitile as any cable debate.

Currently for my money I like HDCD. The reason is simple. First of all, manufactures have not figured out that there is a difference and so most of the time they are the same price as regular CD's. Secondly, you can play them on regular CD's players and they do sound great. If you are lucky to have a CD that will play/decode them all the better. The downside is there is not a lot of releases out there but there are some and growing.

I have not doubt that SACD and DVD-A may sound a bit better but at what cost. I would have to invest in another CD player and media that is more money. For a little bit better and IMHO, for me, it is one of those points of diminishing returns.

Just my 2 cents and by no means meant to slight anyone ;)

Jeff

:cool:

Back