For the motorcycle riders in the club.....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruppy

Reaction score
For those that don't know, I work with automotive safety restraints (airbags).

The following link contains photos and video of two motorcycle/vehicle crashes (the cycle T-bones a mini-van). You can see where I'm going.

These are not actual in the field crashes but set up automaker/cyclemaker tests. Honda has been persuing this for a good number of years.

The first is standard cycle/vehicle crash test. The second is a crash with, if you can believe it, an airbag on the cycle.

The photo gallery will allow you to step through 15 photographs.

Personally, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing nor do I ride a motorcycle.

http://www.bild.t-online.de/BTO/auto/aktuell/2006/08/adac-motorrad-crash/adac-motorrad-crash.html

I have a motorcycle myself, and I'm a little leery, but what Honda has done has shown promise. I think the best solution for riders is the airbag jacket, which I think is on the market now. When the rider falls off the bike, a trip-wire attached between the rider and the bike breaks, deploying the airbags in the jacket; a neck collar, a spine protector, arms, shoulders, etc.
Unfortunately legislators are getting into the act, simply proposing extending existing seatbelt laws to require riders have them too, which would be a very bad thing, because in a crash, if the rider is lashed to the bike, chances are the bike will beat the rider to death. Seatbelts are designed to A. keep the driver from getting thrown from the car, and B. to minimize contact with the interior of the car, generally speaking. Unfortunately the best chance for a motorcyclist is to A. get away from the bike, and B. hope that nothing stops the rider suddenly, like a tree or guardrail. But for the people pushing that idea, they're just after quick feel good votes, with no concern for reality.

Tube60 said:
I have a motorcycle myself, and I'm a little leery, but what Honda has done has shown promise. I think the best solution for riders is the airbag jacket, which I think is on the market now. When the rider falls off the bike, a trip-wire attached between the rider and the bike breaks, deploying the airbags in the jacket; a neck collar, a spine protector, arms, shoulders, etc.
Unfortunately legislators are getting into the act, simply proposing extending existing seatbelt laws to require riders have them too, which would be a very bad thing, because in a crash, if the rider is lashed to the bike, chances are the bike will beat the rider to death. Seatbelts are designed to A. keep the driver from getting thrown from the car, and B. to minimize contact with the interior of the car, generally speaking. Unfortunately the best chance for a motorcyclist is to A. get away from the bike, and B. hope that nothing stops the rider suddenly, like a tree or guardrail. But for the people pushing that idea, they're just after quick feel good votes, with no concern for reality.

I'm with you, Tube60! Motorcycle legislation needs to be made by motorcyclists, such as the AMA here in the states.

wink said:
That looks interesting enough....I would like to see some data though. Isn't BMW trying those out on some of their bikes?

Don't know about BMW. I do know that Honda has been working on this since 2000-2001. I designed and supplied the original prototype inflators (gas generators) to Honda Japan.

I rode for four years, sold the bike in 1983 and never looked back.

When you get off the bike after 1-1/2 mile ride in Southfield traffic from your home to school (Lawrence tech) and you are shaking when you get off, that's bad. When you put your helmet on after classes to ride home and you start to shake before you get on the bike it's time to sell the bike.

People drive much worse than in 1983, you would have to put a gun to my head to make me ride again.

You have a Totally Awesome Motercycle...

Tube60 said:
Tube60,

I happened to be visiting the "Pashnit Motercycle Forum" looking for cool ML systems and I saw that and alot more... I saw a photo of your motorcycle and it looks very cool, as does you Sequel system... :D It was a very pleasant discovery for me. ;) Do you have any more photo's of your motorcycle you could post here? Also, I wanted to recommend that you post your system offically in the 'Members Systems' section, as it would do us all very proud to have it there. :) :D

kach22i said:
I rode for four years, sold the bike in 1983 and never looked back.

When you get off the bike after 1-1/2 mile ride in Southfield traffic from your home to school (Lawrence tech) and you are shaking when you get off, that's bad. When you put your helmet on after classes to ride home and you start to shake before you get on the bike it's time to sell the bike.

People drive much worse than in 1983, you would have to put a gun to my head to make me ride again.
I agree. My last bike was a 1978 Gold Wing. Now I drive 2 Cadillac sedans due to safety and comfort. People are crazy on the roads. I would consider an off road bike or mountain bicycle for that matter

Rik_Rankin said:
I agree. My last bike was a 1978 Gold Wing. Now I drive 2 Cadillac sedans due to safety and comfort. People are crazy on the roads. I would consider an off road bike or mountain bicycle for that matter
2 vantages fit in the trunk at the same time! :D

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 163
Robin said:
Tube60,

I happened to be visiting the "Pashnit Motercycle Forum" looking for cool ML systems and I saw that and alot more... I saw a photo of your motorcycle and it looks very cool, as does you Sequel system... :D It was a very pleasant discovery for me. ;) Do you have any more photo's of your motorcycle you could post here? Also, I wanted to recommend that you post your system offically in the 'Members Systems' section, as it would do us all very proud to have it there. :) :D
Thanks Robin. I'm planning to post my system once I clean it up a bit and get the Sequels better spaced.
I've been a Pashnit member for awhile now. Riding has been a great source of enjoyment. Here's a shot of my bike, a Honda CBR600rr.

Attachments

• 241293421.jpg
    241293421.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 161
AstroBlue...

Tube60 said:
Thanks Robin. I'm planning to post my system once I clean it up a bit and get the Sequels better spaced.
I've been a Pashnit member for awhile now. Riding has been a great source of enjoyment. Here's a shot of my bike, a Honda CBR600rr.
Tube60,

Thanks for the kind words. I posted your beautiful Sequel system, as you posted it on the Pashnit site, in my "Super ML Systems - Seeing, Hearing is Believing" thread... :eek: I do think it looks awesome as is... but please do post on the 'Members System' section when you can. :) Your Sequel system must sound Sanfrantastic with your tube amp... :D

Robin said:
Tube60,

Thanks for the kind words. I posted your beautiful Sequel system, as you posted it on the Pashnit site, in my "Super ML Systems - Seeing, Hearing is Believing" thread... :eek: I do think it looks awesome as is... but please do post on the 'Members System' section when you can. :) Your Sequel system must sound Sanfrantastic with your tube amp... :D
Okay, now I'm blushing and giggling like I'm in kindergarten again! :eek:
And my system is such a mess! And what made you look at the Pashnit site for ML systems?
And yeah, it does sound good! And definition? I listened to Madonna's Mer Girl last night and, for the first time ever, I heard an artifact in the recording that I've never heard before. It sounds like the studio's drive motor in their recorder was going out, and that noise got to the microphone or cabling. I freaked, because I thought it was MY machine doing it, but it cut out at the exact time the track ended. I double checked with other recordings, then played that same song again, and sure enough, it's there! I can also hear Madonna breathing during that recording twice as often as before!

Good ML Super Systems are hard to find...

Tube60 said:
Okay, now I'm blushing and giggling like I'm in kindergarten again!
And my system is such a mess! And what made you look at the Pashnit site for ML systems?
And yeah, it does sound good! And definition? I listened to Madonna's Mer Girl last night and, for the first time ever, I heard an artifact in the recording that I've never heard before. It sounds like the studio's drive motor in their recorder was going out, and that noise got to the microphone or cabling. I freaked, because I thought it was MY machine doing it, but it cut out at the exact time the track ended. I double checked with other recordings, then played that same song again, and sure enough, it's there! I can also hear Madonna breathing during that recording twice as often as before!
Tube60,

I was just searching everywhere for any ML system, checking any site or forum really... Doing google searches etc. and boom there was your system... :)

Your system sure sound like it is extremely revealing and remarkabley life like in its reproduction every detail of sound as well. ;) It truly is one of my favorite ML Super Systems. You are an extremely good sport about me posting it and I appreciate your understanding. :)

Thanks again... Astroblue... ;)

Robin said:
Tube60,

I was just searching everywhere for any ML system, checking any site or forum really... Doing google searches etc. and boom there was your system... :)
Your system sure sound like it is extremely revealing and remarkabley life like in its reproduction every detail of sound as well. ;) It truly is one of my favorite ML Super Systems. You are an extremely good sport about me posting it and I appreciate your understanding. :)
Thanks again... Astroblue... ;)
Sooo.... running background checks on members, eh? Hmmmm.....
As for being a good sport.... I want fifty bucks from you for being so brazen! *LOL*
As for the revealing part....well, I certainly like it! To kind of bare my soul a little, I have a "defect" in my hearing such that I can hear dog whistles, etc., so whatever I listen to technology-wise can't have much information in those areas. Solid state amps, for the most part, I can't stand because there's a lot of harmonics occurring around 30-40khz, from the transistors. Of course, it doesn't help that many of today's manufacturers use push-pull op-amps in their front end circuitry. They can be very noisy. Pure class A amps are okay, because the transistor's (or MOSFETs) gates are always open but frequently they've got noisy power supplies. And they don't image as well as tube amps IMO.

Tubed Sound with Logans...

Tube60,

:eek: I'm blushing, because you just made my day... :p
You have a great sense of hummor, which is just wonderful... :)
What you were saying about your hearing "defect" sounds like it could be really annoying for you at times. Your system sound tailor make perfectly for your hearing sensitivity..., Tubes and Logans what a smooth combination for sonic nirvana. :D

Robin said:
Tube60,

I'm blushing, because you just made my day...
What you were saying about your hearing "defect" sounds like it could be really annoying for you at times. Your system sound tailor make perfectly for your hearing sensitivity..., Tubes and Logans what a smooth combination for sonic nirvana. :D
or at least a tube pre-amp :D

Tube60 said:
A link for you on the Porsche forum, warning graphic content (ugly knee).........be careful out there big guy.

Link:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?threadid=300092&highlight=injury

Story of how it happened:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/show...639&highlight=went+down+and+not+in+a+good+way

Last edited:
Robin said:
Tube60,

:eek: I'm blushing, because you just made my day... :p
Well, I'm glad I made your day!
My hearing has gained me a reputation as "the human oscilloscope" because I've pointed out things an amplifier is doing that shows up on a 'scope, but nobody else can hear!
I listened to a Sunfire Cinema Grand amplifier at the local high-end dealer once, and I told them I was hearing this really odd click/pop during the demo. They looked at me dubiously, because they didn't hear it, but the owner called me back, because what I'd said put a fly in their ear, so they hooked it up to a 'scope. There was an artifact occurring at 48khz, with a harmonic at 24khz, which felt like a needle was being driven into the middle of my head. He was a little shocked that I wasn't teasing.

Tube60 said:
Well, I'm glad I made your day!
My hearing has gained me a reputation as "the human oscilloscope" because I've pointed out things an amplifier is doing that shows up on a 'scope, but nobody else can hear!
I listened to a Sunfire Cinema Grand amplifier at the local high-end dealer once, and I told them I was hearing this really odd click/pop during the demo. They looked at me dubiously, because they didn't hear it, but the owner called me back, because what I'd said put a fly in their ear, so they hooked it up to a 'scope. There was an artifact occurring at 48khz, with a harmonic at 24khz, which felt like a needle was being driven into the middle of my head. He was a little shocked that I wasn't teasing.
WOW, THAT'S NEAT

Latest posts

Back