For the motorcycle riders in the club.....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kruppy said:
Nope, I'm much more destructive than that.....

In my occupation, I handle explosives daily.... :cool:

I'm Scottish, and therefore not allowed to play with stuff that goes bang. :eek:
I'll leave that up to you!

Tube60 said:
Thanks Robin. I'm planning to post my system once I clean it up a bit and get the Sequels better spaced.
I've been a Pashnit member for awhile now. Riding has been a great source of enjoyment. Here's a shot of my bike, a Honda CBR600rr.
Cool! I had a 600RR as well, just sold it. I never rode it and there was someone who really wanted it (I didn't list it as for sale). Plus, I bought a bunch of toys (FPTV, XBox 360, new sub) with the money!

Honda8.jpg

dyazdani said:
Cool! I had a 600RR as well, just sold it. I never rode it and there was someone who really wanted it (I didn't list it as for sale). Plus, I bought a bunch of toys (FPTV, XBox 360, new sub) with the money!

Honda8.jpg
It's a great bike. I haven't put a whole lot of miles on it so far, but it is great fun, if uncomfortable. Last time I rode I went 120 miles, and my behind and the insides of my legs were bruised from the experience. My mechanic is giving me his '77 Goldwing which will be much more comfortable, and something to restore and improve as well.

Yeah, Honda seats were never any good. Might as well sit on a phonebook.

WOW! I see a nice new stock tire on that bike....more than likely a young kid that had more money than experience, buying a bike with more power than he could handle.

Or could just be a cager pulling out in front of a motorcycle without looking.....that happens far to often too.

Or it could be a staged display, considering the car looks like it slammed under a semi deploying the airbags. It looks a little weird also how the bike is positioned in the car versus the damage to the car and the bike.

Any story attached to these pics?

Last edited:
wink said:
Any story attached to these pics?
They have been floating around the Internet for about a year as far as I know. You could always do a search on Snopes if you think they are fake. Let us know what you find.

Kruppy said:
For those that don't know, I work with automotive safety restraints (airbags).

The second is a crash with, if you can believe it, an airbag on the cycle.

http://www.bild.t-online.de/BTO/auto/aktuell/2006/08/adac-motorrad-crash/adac-motorrad-crash.html

A little to late,as a long time rider I've crashed twice,just have to learn to roll right when you fall off,unfortunatly the first crash I was wearing shorts and was tore up pretty bad,as well as seperating my shoulder and clavicle,never got them fixed,or missed a day of work,needless to say I look a little strange with the shoulder bone sticking up and a clavicle bone that doesn't always stay in place.I get older but not any wiser,still enjoy going as fast as I can.Gave up skydiving in 1990 when my eldest son was born,so the bike is how I get my adreneline rush.REMEMBER ALWAYS KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN. :D

Nice assets!

Nice bike WB! I ride too, but I'm more into carving up the canyons. Speed and handling is what I'm into.

Here's a pic of my bike...

Attachments

• Bike 1.jpg
    Bike 1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 119
Niice bike Dan,I've been on sports bikes before and really enjoy the ride.'m afraid if I had ever owned one my life expectancy would be greatly reduced.I have a serious problem with the need for speed(have lost my license several times because of this problem).The nice thing about a cruiser once you get above 105 mph they vibrate like hell and you feel like your going to blow right off,(especially if your bike has ape hangers),so you have a natural tendency to back it down once reaching 100mph.I've been over 130mph on a sports bike and had no desire to slow down.Maybe one day I'll grow up and be able to control my compulsions. :D

Last edited:
theWB said:
Maybe one day I'll grow up and be able to control my compulsions. :D

Up in the mountains you might run across a sheriff once every 100 miles or so....nice worry free riding.
It could just be a mid-life thing but I hope I never grow up. :D I'm having way too much fun. ;)

Last edited:
AP_MOTORCYCLE.gif

Motorcycle air bags part of safe-biking trend
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14834469/
Motorcycles accounted for 2 percent of all registered vehicles in 2004 but made up 9.4 percent of all highway deaths, nearly double the 5 percent in 1997, according to government statistics.

I'm sure helmet laws have a lot to do with this, and people drive crazier each year.......................like they are on the phone or something.

I love spurious statistics like CNN has quoted:
Motorcycles accounted for 2 percent of all registered vehicles in 2004 but made up 9.4 percent of all highway deaths, nearly double the 5 percent in 1997, according to government statistics.
Gee, you mean if a 600 pound vehicle with the rider on the outside wrecks versus a 4000 pound steel cage with the rider on the inside, the odds are that the former will have a better chance of death than the latter?

In other news... water is wet and the sky is blue...

I also suspect that a large majority of those deaths were a result of the former colliding with the latter.

The system is designed to keep the driver’s body from hitting whatever the motorcycle hit and reduce the chances of the driver being thrown over the handlebars. It is not designed to protect from side or rear impacts or to protect passengers.
There are a couple of problems with airbags on bikes as described:
They presume that the rider is still on the bike when impacting an object, that the collision is head-on, that the object is high enough that the inflated bag can act as a cushion between the rider and the object, and that the bag can absorb a delta-60mph collision. Car airbags merely slow your head down to keep it from hitting the windshield immediately in front of you, which is also traveling at roughly the same speed as you (low delta-V). Most states require motorcycle helmets, so this point is moot.

A large portion of the T-bone cycle/car accidents I'm aware of had the biker impacting the front quarter panel, usually vaulting them over the hood of the car. An airbag wouldn't help this. Survivability is a function of what they hit after that. We've all seen Grand Prix motorcyclists lose it on the track, then slide safely to a stop from in excess of 150 mph, because they didn't impact anything else after coming off of the bike and because they got away from the bike.

Assuming that you could make an airbag that made a difference in a delta-60mph impact, it might be effective in the few cases of a bike hitting a wall-like object, or to keep you from impacting the front dash of a car-like bike like the Goldwing mentioned in the article. Unfortunately, Congress, being clueless as always and not really giving a shit about bikes, would likely make airbags mandatory for all bikes, citing improved insurance rates, "for the children", "to stop the evil terrorists", or whatever excuse was handy at the time. This is similar to their actions in the early eighties to slap a tariff on 700+cc bikes to "save the American motorocycle industry" (e.g. - Harley-Davidson), ignoring the fact that the Japanese bikes then were serving a totally different market from that of Harley buyers.

Back