for the Love of a good Cigar !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick cure for temporary hyper-dampness is to open the
box for an hour each day until it settles down. Just don't
forget to close it up again. Don't ask me how I know. :ROFL:

It sounds like you have a nice air-tight humidor which may
not breath quite enough. You can always make that work.
Open it once a week to check the humidity and savor the
cedar/tobacco smell. You'll create good air exchange and
avoid dampness issues. That is provided the humidifier is
not over-charged or broken.

In contrast, there's only one way to fix crappy humidors
which won't hold at least 60% RH. Declare it a jewelry box
and put it in a yard sale. My first two humidors went that
route. Grrrr.

I am re-opening this old thread to talk about a new discovery I have made. My new favorite cigar is the Kristoff Maduro. It is a wonderful maduro, smooth all the way down to the nub, with a very subtle but rich tone. Very similar to the Padron 1964 anniversary series in flavor, but a lot cheaper at only $8 a cigar. And for those who like a little more of a solid punch (I am talking to you, Dave) they also make the Ligero Maduro, which is quite similar but stronger in flavor. I really like both of them a lot and highly recommend them.

yep ....had one a couple of weeks back Rich, good smoke as you said. It dosen't outscore my La Flora Dominicana 'Dbl Ligero' but's it's solid smoke !

speaking of Smoke (tires) how is that new Hot Rod ( Mustang) running these days Dave ? We need an update please

yep ....had one a couple of weeks back Rich, good smoke as you said. It dosen't outscore my La Flora Dominicana 'Dbl Ligero' but's it's solid smoke !

Well, since you have recommended that cigar for a couple of years now, I decided I better try one. So I picked one up from my local store and smoked it tonight. It is a fine cigar, I must say. Stronger than I am used to, but not over-powering. Great flavors, a lovely dark, oily wrapper, and a nice long slow smoke. I was surprised how long it lasted. A great smoke for a very reasonable price. Thanks for the recommendation.

Rich, since you got this thread rejuvinated I might as well comment on two recent finds that I'm enjoying...........

Perdomo Champagne Noir and CAO La Traviata, both well made medium bodied smokes that are enjoyable start to finish. My normal smoke is a 49-54 ring, corona gorda, dbl corona, toro, etc.

Thanks for the recommendations, Dave. I will look out for them. I have another one for you as well. Just yesterday I tried a cigar that is right up your alley, if you haven't tried it already. The Camacho Triple Maduro. It is made with all maduro leaves in its blend, and exhibits a strong and flavorful character, much like your favorite double ligero. Highly recommend it.

For Christmas I got a nice CAO pyramid gift pack that included two CX2, MX2 & LX2. I found them all to be excellent until last night when a colleague gave me a Cohiba Gran Reserva, now that was an excellent smoke. At $125 a stick that will probably be my first and last sample.

No way! A stogie thread! I just acquired a box of Padron 64 Exclusivo Maduros. One of the finest non-cubans on the market in my opinion.

No way! A stogie thread! I just acquired a box of Padron 64 Exclusivo Maduros. One of the finest non-cubans on the market in my opinion.

Avery nice smoke indeed......BTW is the 'Up Down' Cigar shop still in business in Chgo ?

Updown is alive and well! Great selection there. I usually go to Iwan Ries just because it's more "on the way" in my routine. Do you have a guy there?

Yes, the Padron '64 is excellent, as is the '24 series. I have been enjoying the Fuente's lately. The Work of Art Maduro is a great smoke, but hard to obtain (thanks to Brian for turning me on to that one earlier in this thread). And the Fuente Anejo is simply superb, one of the most delicious cigars I have ever smoked. One more I have tried recently that was a really great smoke is the Alec Bradley Prensado. Highly recommended.

The Hemingway Maduros never really got me going. Back when I was in Texas I was a patron of a shop that sold Work of Art and Untold Story Maduros. The sticks were so hard to come by that they would gouge you for them, just like a lot of shops do with opus x and anejos. They're great, don't get me wrong, but man o manischewitz you pay for 'em. I've heard a lot of great things about those Prensados. I'll pick one of those up soon.

IMG_0995.jpg

mega ashtray complete, enjoying cigars with the boys outside our local smoke shop

My current favorite comes out of Miami, the Spanish word for Tattoo.

The small ones out of the wooden box shown are perfect sized ($5.00), but I bought one of the big boys (Cojonu $18.00) for a special occasion.

tattoo-cigar.jpg

I don't smoke much, but when I do, I like it mild and smooth, and that's what these are.

.............................................................................................

These come in two packs, one Natural and one Maduro (dark), good stuff at only $2.00 a cigar from my local merchant (not the link).
http://www.cigarchoice.com/villiger-kiel-export-nat-cigars-10-packs-of-5/
Villiger_Export_Natural_Cigars_Pack_of_5__81535_zoom.jpg
Villiger_Export_Maduro_Cigars_Pack_of_5__83824_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Had a very nice flavored stick last night called Java. Its a collaboration between Drew Estates and Rocky Patel that infuses the cigar in cocoa and espresso. A little sweet, but great flavors, aroma and plumes and plumes of creamy smoke!

View attachment 15576

mega ashtray complete, enjoying cigars with the boys outside our local smoke shop

So I'm reading the December issue of Cigar Aficionado magazine last night while lying in bed and I come across a picture in the back of the magazine that I know I have seen before. Now I'm lying awake in bed trying to remember where I've seen that image before and about 3:00 AM this morning my photographic memory final clicks and I realize its this image of Twitch and his crew.

Dave-How long from the time you submitted to CA before it was finally published?
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15576&d=1340990911

Back