??? For the HT Braintrust

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I know the more savy HT folks can help me out with this one, Why didn't the HD TV community and the Movie folks in Hollywood get together on a common screen / aspect ratio ?? Wide screen TV 16:9 or 1.85 to 1, whereas the majority of movies are produced at a ratio of 2.35 to 1 (21:9). Do any of the front projector mfgs make a "Native" resolution 2.35 to 1 unit ??

Aspect Ratios and Front Screen Projectors...

twich54 said:
I know the more savy HT folks can help me out with this one, Why didn't the HD TV community and the Movie folks in Hollywood get together on a common screen / aspect ratio ?? Wide screen TV 16:9 or 1.85 to 1, whereas the majority of movies are produced at a ratio of 2.35 to 1 (21:9). Do any of the front projector mfgs make a "Native" resolution 2.35 to 1 unit ??
Dave,

:) I was looking around on the internet and found this very interesting explanation of the aspect ratios:

http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/aspect_ratios.pdf

This next site has the very latest State-of-the-Art front projectors cablable of wonderous feets of front projector visual magic to titlate and tantalize your eyes - up to and including "Native" resolution 2:35 to 1 (21:9). Of course you may have to pay $80,000.00 (USD), at some point though, to those that have it, money just is not a consideration for the Money-is-no-object HT enthusiest...

http://www.highendpalace.com/INDEX REF Projectors.htm

These Front Projectors sure look sweet though... :D :p :D

Last edited:
The 16:9 or 1.85:1 HDTV standard was basically a compromise between the old 4:3 and Hollywood. The other issue is that a lot of Hollywood movies are in odd ratios. Some 2.4:1, some 2.3:1, some up to 2.6:1 (Ben Hur?). So Hollywood has no standard in the first place. The old 4:3 format was chosen by NTSC because that is the ratio film was in. SO with HDTV, they knew they wanted to change it up, and they picked 16:9 on a whim basically.

Yes you can get a setup that will allow you to view your program material in its native format and not have the dreaded "black bars" on your screen. Its called a masking screen and a fairly high end projector with a selection of anamorphic lenses. :)

On the less expensive side, you could get into a projector with an anamorphic lens and a 2.35 screen. Then you just have black bars on the sides when you watch HDTV. Thats where the masking screens come in. They automatically adjust the masking on the edges around the screen to conform to the aspect ratio you choose. Not cheap, but thats the only way to get everything perfect.

If I were building a dedicated theater on somewhat of a budget, I would build it with a 2.35 screen (maybe with the option of adding masking later) and a Runco CL-810 with Cinewide lens option or a comparable product.

I could be cynical and say that once they have sold everyone a 16:9 television you will start to see wider aspect ratios emerge. Either that, or they will go back to 4:3 "highscreens" so that we can "see what we've been missing out on the top and bottom".

Good articles, Thanks Robin ! I understand the history of 4:3 ratio and I basically grasp the understanding that the producer / director gets the say as to what is done in hollywood with respect to the aspect ratio that his/her movie is shot in, I just feel it would be nice if they all agreed to say 16:9, afterall the home movie / DVD market is large as ever and growing every day. if in the past the TV industry adapted the original motion picture 4:3, turnaround is fair play, now let hollywood follow the lead of HD TV 16:9

Back