For max sound - never turn your system off...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
In talking with a A/V sales rep., at Magnolia HiFi and was informed, that one of the things, I should be doing, is to keep my, Amplifier / Processor / power Supply, on all the time, for the following reasons:

1). To prolong the life of the electronics, of the Amp / Processor.
2). To always keep the current flowing, keeps the electrons always flowing
the same way, thus more efficiant / premium sound.
3). By keeping the equipment on, it is always warmed-up and will produce
the very best sound my gear is capable of, to the max potential, at all
times.
4). It is what true audiophiles do with their equipment.
5). If their is a fire, you can point, the firemen to your Home theater room.

You guys know, I was just kidding on #5, but all of the rest, were touted as gospel... However, I did find the following recommendation:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5557_improve-sound-stereo.html

What is the general concensus of opinion, on this matter? What do you do? Leave your Amp / Processor on all the time or not? and Why? :confused:

-Robin

True for solid-state equipments but not for...tubes

Robin said:
What is the general concensus of opinion, on this matter? What do you do? Leave your Amp / Processor on all the time or not? and Why? :confused:
With tube equipments, I cannot afford to leave my preamp & amplifiers on all the time:
  • They generate quite a bit of heat.
  • More importantly, the tubes will wear out if you leave them on. In general, my output tubes (EL34) have about 3-5 thousands hours of use and I'd like to use them for listening instead of just burning them up idling.

Spike

Spike said:
With tube equipments, I cannot afford to leave my preamp & amplifiers on all the time:
  • They generate quite a bit of heat.
  • More importantly, the tubes will wear out if you leave them on. In general, my output tubes (EL34) have about 3-5 thousands hours of use and I'd like to use them for listening instead of just burning them up idling.

Spike
Hola Spike...I'm going to tell you that I was the engeenier assistant of TV-Channel 7 here in Costa Rica, televisora de costa rica canal 7, and I used to service the signal repeaters, (tv channels 5,7,11,12) and they were tubes at that time...they were on, all the time, 24 hours a day! and I could say that many of the tubes there, had over 15 years of continious work, and their measure were O.K. Some of now days power amplifiers and preamps, have a by-pass switch, leaving the filament always on. Also, we did a test on some broadcast signal repeaters, and we found out that it is better to leave them on than off...they last longer. I understand your point with the 6CA7/EL34...one of the best sounding power tubes,...some amps have a variable resistor where you could drop the bias and prolongue more the time and life of the tube. If you read, as an example, the VTL book, they say that you could increase the bias almost to class A, but no audible benefit and shorting the tube life...if you use a little bit less bias, the point where you don't hear and listen any distorsion, you could leave it on...perhaps better just your preamp...when you turn your system on, it will sound more open, and more musical due to optimal thermal operation. Please forgive my bad English,
regards,
Roberto.

I have heard this same thing before. Never tried it. Is there a bad side to doing this(Non tube)

I turn my system off, one day a week before I go to bed and turn it back on when I get up.

I started doing this after reading an article from Audioquest. The article was about keeping a bias on the cables, turning off the system the cables could revert a cable back to an unbroken in state. Audioquest now has there DBS packs on there top cables so you don’t have to have the system on all the time but I find my system still sound better warmed up and ready to go. Ps Audio recommends you leave there gear power up at all times for best performance.

I see two negatives in doing it.

1. Heat is the enemy of any electronic component or combustion engine, the cooler they run the longer they will last.

2. Your electricity bill will go up.

My 2 cents

Last edited:
The reason why tubes last longer if they are left on (or left off for that matter) is because the tube itself does not go through cooling off and heating up cycles. This is what causes wear in a tube. The constant heating up (expanding) and cooling down (contracting). Left in one constant state (either on or off) will probably produce the longest life. (FYI: Jet engines operate on the same principle as well.)

I've never turned my tube preamp off (N.E.W) in the last 5 years.

/Transpa.

It is going to be difficult to change....

:rolleyes: I am always turning off lights, everything - to save, on power. I don't even use my central air conditioning system. I think, it is because, I was raised, by parents, who grew up in the great depression... They always tought me, to turn-off, conserve, save, re-use, recycle etc... I'm just going to have to reevaluate, and deside, what will work with my HT situation. California, does have very high energy costs. For my four bedroom, two bath home, I pay $250.00/mo. in the summer on adverage. :( I currently, have a SS A/V Receiver, but that will change in this next year... :)

Oh well, I guess, to pay the extra PG&E, I'll just have to start singing, 'I owe, I owe - So it's off to work I go -- ', while on my way to work.

Beautiful, Lovely, musical sound is all worth it... My ears deserve the best.

-Robin

Stray Voltage...?

If I left my amplifier and power conditioner on all the time..., and especially, if I upgrad to a huge amplifier, like the, "Anthem P5".
Would'nt, my family and I, begin to suffer from stray voltage? :D

Well, with that thought in mind, I'm off on vacation... :) :p :D

-Robin

Being safe!

Robin said:
5). If their is a fire, you can point, the firemen to your Home theater room.

You guys know, I was just kidding on #5, but all of the rest, were touted as gospel... However, I did find the following recommendation:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5557_improve-sound-stereo.html

-Robin

Actually #5 might just be your best arguement here. Why do you think Mobile homes are so popular here in Indiana? You cut the Fire Departments response time in half when you can meet them half way! Nothing like a "Safety First" state of mind you know! :rolleyes:

Robin - If I don't see a reply, I hope you have a "safe" and wonderful vacation!

Now Jeff - You know I am expecting a witty response from you on this! ;)

Solid state equipment is far different from tube equipment so turning solid state equipment off and on will not wear them out. Although some may disagree, I do not hear a difference if I continuously run my solid state eqiupment or if I turn it off and only use it when I need it.

I have heard that pre-amp tubes last a lot longer than amp tubes. Not sure why.

MarkNewbie,
The only thing you forgot about #5 was that no only can you meet the fire dept. half way but can probably make some grilled cheese on on your audio equipment that is still "on" while on the way because they will be hungry after they put the fire out. :D

Jeff
:cool:

Jeff Zaret said:
MarkNewbie,
The only thing you forgot about #5 was that no only can you meet the fire dept. half way but can probably make some grilled cheese on on your audio equipment that is still "on" while on the way because they will be hungry after they put the fire out. :D

Jeff
:cool:

My amp can heat a small room. I'll have to try making the grill cheese on it! I knew you wouldn't let me down! :D

The warm glow of electronic in the night's sky...

Mark & Jeff,

I have to reply, to your hilarious posts... and you do realize my audio equipment, is in the Napa Valley, and technally I'm on vacation so...
You guys bring the grilled cheese and s'mores. I'll provide the, Napa Valley wino. We'll have a Bar-BQ, next to my Home Theater, a glow, in electric sparks...

PS - Mark,
You posted a great entry, regarding the, "Shanling SDC T200". I quoted it to a new poster to the site... I am also very grateful for the intel, as I am looking at the, Shanling SDC T200 also. Your excellent infomation regarding, the 'Westinghouse Electric' and then 'Bendix - Red Banks', tubes was fantastic too...! Thanks! This is the post:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=884

Is their anything else, regarding the quality / sound of the Shanling that you could tell me? That you didn't already discribe, in the above post? Also, are their any other reviews on the web / internet? I would appreciate anymore information, you can give. :) :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin,
Do you think it will ber hot enough to cook some chicken? I am in the desert in S Ca so it doesn't take much to heat up anything down here.
BTW I turn off my preamp when I am not using it. There is enough heat here without me helping.

.............and for something that is not related at all, as of Friday, when I left work the shuttle, Discovery, was still here. I may have a pic if anyone is interested.

Jeff :cool:

Back