Food for Thought ........some more 'Ethanism' !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently Ethan put a picture of his Null Tester on the cover of his 2nd Edition book.

However it's still in progress.

View attachment 19677

So Carver did something like this to prove he could voice one of his amps Identical to a very expensive tube design - and he succeeded. I want to say it was a challenge w J Gordon Holt? Possibly stereo review? Can’t recall the exact test but it was a null test in essence I believe.

Timm,
That is interesting. I didn't realize this had already been done.

I had always assumed that eventually we would have digital filters that would allow a person to dial in a certain amount of THD and other characteristics to add the "warmth" and "feel" of tube amplifiers. From a marketing perspective I doubt it makes much sense, the audience drawn to a tub amp would likely see this as blasphemy or a cheap forgery.

Ethan has a number of high end cables from different manufactures being shipped to him by people who do high end stereo installations.

He has done some initial testing with long lengths of cable, some in spools, and as expected there was high frequency roll off and some hum.

He said he is going to keep his testing between normal interconnect lengths.

This makes me remember some of the old Monster Cable graphs that went all the way out to the MHz frequency well beyond the audio spectrum we could hear. The graphs looked impressive, but are pretty funny unless you wanted to use them to send an FM radio signal :)

Edit: Ethan has said he will be testing wire up to 20' in length.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the link, that was an interesting video.

These tests validate that one just needs decent quality cables to get good results. I use mostly Blue Jeans Cable balanced (Belden 1800F) cables for line-levels, and all Blue Jeans speaker cable (Belden 5000) for my speakers, with Belden 5T00UP 10 AWG for the subs.

Thanks for sharing the link, that was an interesting video.

These tests validate that one just needs decent quality cables to get good results. I use mostly Blue Jeans Cable balanced (Belden 1800F) cables for line-levels, and all Blue Jeans speaker cable (Belden 5000) for my speakers, with Belden 5T00UP 10 AWG for the subs.

agreed Jonathan, laughed at the end with his expressions of 'BS' !!

it will be interesting to hear the feedback / reaction from the 'Anti - Winers' .........

one other thing of note, it appears that Ethan has consumed his fair share of donuts while constructing his null device !

Last edited:
Very interesting demo! I hope that (atrocious) shirt he's wearing is "flame-proof!" :D

I think I'll pull out my old Blue Jeans interconnects and speaker cables, and give them another listen.

One of our local audio club members recently purchased the Van Alstine ABX Comparator (https://avahifi.com/products/abx-switch-comparator), so I'm looking forward to some cable and gear shoot-outs! Looks a lot easier to use than the Null Tester.

Last edited:
Very interesting demo! I hope that (atrocious) shirt he's wearing is "flame-proof!" :D

I think I'll pull out my old Blue Jeans interconnects and speaker cables, and give them another listen.

One of our local audio club members recently purchased the Van Alstine ABX Comparator (https://avahifi.com/products/abx-switch-comparator), so I'm looking forward to some cable and gear shoot-outs! Looks a lot easier to use than the Null Tester.

Maybe easier but you might be better served sending your cables to Ethan to test with if you want to know for sure.

Back