First time ML pair owner excited to be here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm excited to be here. Well I've always seen them and read about them and now I own them. They're the esl 3's, beautiful lines that almost dissapear in a room. The problem is that I only own mid power tube amps and a mid power receiver so I need to shop for a more powerful amp. I don't necessarily want to biamp these initially unless I love them more than my dog but I would like a few mid priced 200wpc stereo amp ideas from the more experienced group here. I have a friend that suggested NAD's, Denons or Rotel.

Last edited:
Jackson, welcome ! What makes you think you need 200 watts ? Tell us more...........

room size ? speaker configuration/listening location ? listening levels ? are you willing to buy used ?

Jackson, welcome ! What makes you think you need 200 watts ? Tell us more...........
room size ? speaker configuration/listening location ? listening levels ? are you willing to buy used ?
[/QUOTE]
These will be in a 20x15’ room, low volume levels, sitting area 10’-12’ away centered facing speakers. I’m willing to purchase used.

one more thing....... what speakers do you have ? your opening post has me somewhat confused ?? SL3's ??

Well Jackson since you didn't mention a budget I'd say Rotel on the lower end and Pass on the upper end. Roger Sanders Magtech amps would be a very good mid-point and if you can find a nice used Plinius SA-102 (or two) don't hesitate !

Welcome! The SL3 is a phenomenal, highly revealing speaker. Try different amps if you can. Definitely try tubes if possible (they like big watts 150+) Enjoy!

Welcome! The SL3 is a phenomenal, highly revealing speaker. Try different amps if you can. Definitely try tubes if possible (they like big watts 150+) Enjoy!
Hello all, I'm excited to be here. Well I've always seen them and read about them and now I own them. They're the esl 3's, beautiful lines that almost dissapear in a room. The problem is that I only own mid power tube amps and a mid power receiver so I need to shop for a more powerful amp. I don't necessarily want to biamp these initially unless I love them more than my dog but I would like a few mid priced 200wpc stereo amp ideas from the more experienced group here. I have a friend that suggested NAD's, Denons or Rotel.
I’ve been an SL3 owner since year 2000 after the Aerius I. I’ve used a dared dv200 mono blocks tube amp, krell fpb300. They were both great. I also upgraded all the crossover capacitors to film and big improvement overall in my system.

I too am a 20yr SL3 owner (and Sequel's before that) and I can attest that they want SOLID amplification. Mid-Fi Japan integrateds just won't cut it. I've never experimented with big tube amps, but I don't think I'd like the result, or the heat. I think 150wpc should be a minimum for a large room. I use a Bryston 4B-ST. A 3B-ST would suffice. I have a 120wpc Rotel that sounds thin & lacking in dynamics on the SL3's, but otherwise good on other speakers. I also have a Hafler P3000 (150pwc) that also does not have the solidity that the SL3's need. You will not be sorry going for a big amp on them.

Thanks for all these suggestions. The Adcom 555 II sounds like a great place to start and seems to be popular enough to easily sell when I'm ready to upgrade. Is the Anthem PVA 2 a strong choice as well?

Also, maybe a little off topic but I'm curious about why more people don't use PA system power amps, they're high power and smaller compared to some of these "audio" amps. Is there a difference in the sound?

Last edited:
Also, maybe a little off topic but I'm curious about why more people don't use PA system power amps, they're high power and smaller compared to some of these "audio" amps. Is there a difference in the sound?

Several reasons, the biggest of which is 'perception'. It has been thought that their power to cost ratio could never equate into something that could actually 'sound' good in the audiophile community. While I won't get into that debate for I have never personally done a side by side I know some of the newer offerings from Crown for example have adopted Class D topology that some folks swear is damn good.

Hopefully others will chime in with real world experience on the matter.

I've got a few more immediate need questions. I bought the Adcom 555ii on ebay today.
1. Do the sl3's run on 4 or 8 ohms;
2. Was curious as to whether an old McIntosh preamp/tuner would pair well with an adcom or should I go solid state preamp?

Back